Mulberry Repair : Help/advice needed please

Slowhand

O.G.
Feb 12, 2009
I sent my Tobacco Effie & Ginger Rosie to SM for some TLC . I asked for a quote for inking, stitching & new handles for Rosie.
I was quoted £15 £15 & £75.00 respectively.

I emailed back to ask for the stitching & inking to be done but they have also replaced the handles & taken £100 plus vat from my card. ( Plus the inking on Effie)

She looks fab with her new handles I must say - BUT I didn't authorise it to be done.

The 'cost' of the bag is now in the region of what I would have expected to pay for a pristine one which she isn't.

What would you suggest I do do ? I have got a better bag - but it's
not what I instructed.

OOoh tough one... have you got anything written down that says you didnt ask for it to be done, like emails, or was it discussed over the phone?

Oh - not sure about this one Slowhand. Could you ring them & explain? You never know, they may refund some/all of the cost of the handles if you play your cards right....

OOoh tough one... have you got anything written down that says you didnt ask for it to be done, like emails, or was it discussed over the phone?

I agree Slowhand it would be better with proof. However the reality that this would bump the cost up to the price of a pristine one might be enough to convince them that it is their error.

If you only told them to 2 out of 3 they have definately done a big mistake.
It makes things easier if you have the whole process in writing, but a verbal agreement is just as binding as a written one.

Maybe send them an email explaining the situation and suggest paying half the given price as the job is already done? If they are not being flexible on the price I would demand that they undo the handle-changing, and if they cant, well tbh that is their problem.

Just start off being persistent and saying that you will not agree to them charging you fully for something you did not ask for

:smile:

Hi Slowhand

(Putting my business head on) if your instruction to proceed did not specify the handles then you should not pay one single penny.

Basically its Mulberry's mistake and they have not conformed to the 3 items that make up a contract:

offer - they offered a price of £75
consideration - you considered it & elected to decline
acceptance - you did not accept as you did not tell them to proceed

Id explain the above plus that at £75 it was costing the equiv of a pristine bag and thats why you did not proceed.

Basically, it wont have cost Mulberry anything like £75 - at most they will be losing a scrap of leather and an hour max of an employee's time.

Its their mistake and they should freely offer it as a free repair.

I cant imagine they will be difficult but if they are - ask to see your written instruction as your authority to proceed.

(Goodness I sound like a right cow-bag when I get going)

Thanks Ladies :flowers:

I've had a bit of a result as they say ! I emailed this morning just to explain that I had not accepted the quote for the handle replacement and 2 minutes later :nuts: I received an apology and a full refund !
Great service once again :yahoo: