Mulberry newbie excited about first purchase!

boyoverboard

Obsessed and in LoVe
O.G.
Feb 9, 2010
Hello everyone, I'm pretty much new to posting in the Mulberry forum, though I do check it out on a semi-regular basis to see what lovely goodies everyone else has been buying.

I've been thinking about what to choose as my first Mulberry bag for quite a few months now. I'm a 24-year-old guy and I've been eyeing the Brynmore and the East West Messenger, both in Oak. I'm trying to decide between these two but I think I'm leaning more towards the Brynmore because I love the triple postman's lock. Anyone have any thoughts on these bags? What would be your preference?

I must add, I read something about a price increase here recently, and I could've sworn that either the Brynmore or the East West Messenger (possibly both) has very recently gone up in price by around £60. I wish I'd bought one earlier!

Also, I wanted to ask about the shopping experience in Mulberry. I could buy online, or from a department store in town (there's at least one that I know of that stocks Mulberry) but as there's a Mulberry boutique in the city, I'd prefer to buy there. I know that with some other premium designers, you have to ask for a box etc at the time of purchasing, or they might not give you one. But I don't want to make myself look silly by asking for a box if they don't actually do them! :lol:

So, I just wanted to ask what should come with a brand new Mulberry bag from the store itself, so that I can ensure I get everything I should? TIA for any advice!

Hi! I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Mulberry offer boxes with the larger items - they tend to be for small leather goods and accessories etc (my iPhone messenger came with a box rather than a dust bag) but it should absolutely come with a dust bag. You shouldn't have a problem getting one either, the only time I've known that is when purchasing at an outlet because they tend to not have many.

I'd also definitely buy it in a store - you might want to consider Selfridges if you're near London, because they have a dedicated men's section (don't know what other people think, but this is my opinion) - Mulberry bags do tend to differ quite a lot in their grain, so a lot of people have the SA get all the bags in the colour and style that they're looking at out, so they can pick the one they like best. Choosing the grain is very personal, because some people will like a smooth finish, others will prefer an aged one. Make sure you get a can of Collonil (especially if you go for oak!).

I love the Brynmore, I see it on a lot of commuters when I'm shuttling to and from work every day and I think it's a great bag. Happy shopping!

I think the brymore is a great choice too. It actually has some internal pockets and organisations for pens etc which is lacking in alot of the Mulberry styles!!!
I would buy from the Mulberry store if you can and check the bag over thouroughly and try it on. I've found the strap lengths on some of my messengers have differed and therefore the placement of the adjustment buckle has been in different positions- some more comfy than others.
When I bought direct from the Mulberry store in knightsbridge they removed the bags tags, put the bag in a dustbag and then in a very nice Mulberry bag tied at the top.
Have fun shopping!

Thank you for your replies, marmyte and flyvetjo. I think I'm going to go with the Brynmore, but I might ask to see both as I've never seen the East West Messenger in person.

I will be sure to ask to see all the bags they have in so that I can see the different grains, I hadn't thought of this!

I've bought in Selfridges and in the Mulberry store and the only difference is the carrier bag (although I must admit the mulberry ones are VERY nice). All give you the dustbag. I echo what has already been said- try the bags on and get the SA to get out all the bags in the style you decide on. I had about 5 different alexas out before I made my mind up!!!
Make sure you come back and do a reveal so we know what you bought. Happy shopping!!

The brynmore is a great bag and you've got some great advice. Have you considered asking if the outlets have any? You could potentially save yourself 30%. My DH got his Barnaby from Bicester and its immaculate. Good luck and don't forget to let us know when you've found one!

Hi there,

My dh has a brynmore in Chocolate and it is a gorgeous bag. He admits to being surprised by how much he loves it and how well it does it's job and keeps it's looks, lol. Additionally it accomodates a 4 pack of beer perfectly, i am told, lol. He uses it everyday for work and commutes on the train. It looks immaculate despite sitting on the train floor and getting wet in the rain. Plus the leather has got more soft, supple and beautiful with use. Dh is really pleased with it. The best bit is that he got it from the Mulberry York outlet so it had 30% off. So I agree with Lady, above. Defo call round the outlets and see if they have any in. It will come with a dustbag too, even if outlet.

Good luck and please do us a reveal whichever style you go for! xx

The brynmore is a great bag and you've got some great advice. Have you considered asking if the outlets have any? You could potentially save yourself 30%. My DH got his Barnaby from Bicester and its immaculate. Good luck and don't forget to let us know when you've found one!

Thanks for bringing that up - I actually meant to ask about the outlets. I have never been to one and have absolutely no idea how they work. Bicester is on my list of places to visit for shopping, but I live in Scotland and so I won't be going until the next time I plan to visit London. I just assumed that because the Brynmore is a permanent bag, that it wouldn't be in the outlets. If the bag does make it into the outlets and sells for 30% off that would definitely be worth looking into. Do they accept phone orders? Also - do the outlets stock any seconds or is everything in perfect condition as it would be in the regular stores?

Last edited:
They do indeed take phone orders. The postage is £7.50 and is with UPS. I live in Northern Ireland and have ordered many bags from the various outlets, always with good service. Shepton Mallet is the best though!

Some of the outlet stock consists of bags that are made specifically for the outlets, specials that won't make it to the shops. Other bags are "subs" meaning that there is some fault with them, usually not at all a big deal, but they won't post sub bags anyway so not relevant for you! I've gotten some gorgeous bags from the outlets and you'd never know why they were in the outlet in the first place.

I say go for it!

Thanks everyone for the info! I'm now excited about the prospect of finding one at a reduced price in the outlets. I've seen a couple on eBay that looked to be in okay condition, but I'd rather have a brand new one, especially as it's my first Mulberry.

Do the outlets get a lot of Brynmores on a regular basis, then? Or is it more of an occasional thing? I wasn't planning to buy the bag until the end of this month/beginning of next month so I'm happy to call around and wait for a bit if it means I get a better deal. I can use the extra cash I would've spent to buy one of the Mulberry wallets I've been eyeing! :biggrin:

I think that the outlets only get Brynmores occassionally, at least that is what they told dh and I when he bought his. But defo worth ringing around a few times though. If you are prepared to put in a bit of time calling round then you might well get one.