Mulberry Newbie - advice please!

Dec 27, 2007
Hi i went to Bicester outlet yesterday and bought a Tillie Midnight Reptile satchel. it was about £500, i loved the colour and thought it looked like a good work bag, i got it home and hubby laughed and said it was a teenagers bag. i hadnt thought that in the shop, i liked the hardware, he thought it was awful. usually my hubby has good taste in bags and i usually use balenciaga and anya hindmarch. so can someone advise...is the tillie satchel too young for a 50 year old, should i give it to my daughter? if so which style would be best - should i have gone for the famous alexa? i would so appreciate your help before i hot foot it back to bicester (such a long journey!!) and get a credit note. thanks

Hi i went to Bicester outlet yesterday and bought a Tillie Midnight Reptile satchel. it was about £500, i loved the colour and thought it looked like a good work bag, i got it home and hubby laughed and said it was a teenagers bag. i hadnt thought that in the shop, i liked the hardware, he thought it was awful. usually my hubby has good taste in bags and i usually use balenciaga and anya hindmarch. so can someone advise...is the tillie satchel too young for a 50 year old, should i give it to my daughter? if so which style would be best - should i have gone for the famous alexa? i would so appreciate your help before i hot foot it back to bicester (such a long journey!!) and get a credit note. thanks
oh no so sorry your hubby put you off. I dont know much about tillie. However if you like the bag then keep it. If not then maybe get another mulberry. I am a big mulberry fan! You can check out my bags in my signature.

Also if you post pics here I am sure many people would give their honest opinion to help you decide.

Is your bag the suede Tillie with the reptile print? I think that's fab and far too lovely for teenagers (with apologies to any teenagers on here!).

If you're looking specifically for a work bag I wouldn't recommend the regular Alexa which isn't a great load-carrier. Printed Alexas are apparently stronger.

Could you put pics up, like CP suggests?

I saw this in York this week... It's a lovely bag and DEFINITELY not too young for a 50 year old. If you love the bag then keep it. I swithered myself over the same bag in pink croc nappa until someone snapped it up under my nose.

As the others have said how about posting some pics?

yes thats the one - its dark navy reptile print suede with gold hardware buckles, there is one on ebay at the moment - the very same, i will try and post a picture, thank you for the info on the alexa.

yes thats the one - its dark navy reptile print suede with gold hardware buckles, there is one on ebay at the moment - the very same, i will try and post a picture, thank you for the info on the alexa.

the camera on my phone doesn't work but this is the same bag from google images, my hubby says all the hardware just shouts teenager! as i said i usually have anya hindmarch bags.
being a newbie to mulberry - does anyone who is familiar with anya hindmarch know if the quality is better/worse than mulberry.
anyway, what do you think - too young for a 50 year old?

:sad: cant seem to upload link - but if anyone can try please do. the bag is the mulberry midnight reptile tillie. thanks

Last edited:
I definitely don't think that it's a teenager bag. I've got one myself in nightshade and I think it's a great satchel style which isn't age specific plus I love the contrast beween the leather and gold hardware. The main thing is whether you like it and if it'll go with the items in your wardrobe. Best of luck

thank you... i will think on, although every picture i google of it shows a much younger girl carrying it, but i suppose it depends on your style and you are right about it ultimately comes down to whether you like it.
does anyone know (not being familiar with mulberry bicester) i though the sales assistant said that you could post returns, i just live such a long way from there so the option to post if i decided on a credit note would suit me but i cant manage to get through to bicester they dont pic up the phone, so advice on if anyone has any info on returning bags in the post to bicester. thanks again.

All satchels have that sort of school-y look to them, that's the whole point isn't it?

I've googled it and it looks lovely, and I can imagine my mum carrying it and she's much older than you. If you love her and it makes you happy keep it. It'll grow on your husband. If not, or you're not sure then maybe it's not worth the money you paid and you should take it back.

As for Anya Hindmarsh, I'd say her and Mulbery are more or less same quality/price range, but I don't have an AH bag, and we're all very biased!!

i love your bag ,i have just recently got the black Tillie and im 45 ( soon to be 46 ) i don't think there is a age range to mulberry bags ive seen young and old carrying the same style bags thats the beauty of mulberry .If you love your bag then keep it do not listen to any one else lol

thank you all for your replies, still thinking though, keep going upstairs to take a peek, maybe the hardware is a bit blingly for me, but i loved it in the shop. does anyone know about bicester outlet taking returns by post. if so i would appreciate you letting me know. just cant face ebaying it and losing out.

how do you feel anya differs to mulberry, i am just not familiar with mulberry and now feel like i made a hash of choosing which is unfair to mulberry as thats my fault. do you think anya hindmarch bags are more formal, older ?