Mulberry faux pas?

Silver hardware is very desirable! Lots of the posters here would prefer it over gold - I know I would!

Harries - I think your bag sounds lovely and I think the silver hardware is lovely. AND think of the saving you made - I think you made a wonderful choice.

There are lots of keyring options if you really cant get a clochette but do bear in mind that the plain ring keyrings (ie those without the lobster the claw) are a devil to get onto the Bays Handle (either the handle gets damager or you spring the keyring).

Personally I think the classic Black Bays is minimalist perfection.........Audrey Hepburn!

I personally think you are verrrry lucky to have a beautiful black bays with silver hardware! The clochette can be a real pain in the btm, I sure wouldn't miss mine! Love the idea of finding a Mulberry keyring to hang from it, you could always attach it to the side strap instead of the handle if you fall in love with a plain ring style. Chloebabe has some lovely photos on here of her putty bayswater with a red heart hung like this.

Congratulations :yahoo:

Special outlet items are inferior to mainstream Bayswaters, their leather is of lesser quality, their secondhand value is far lower than a normal bayswater. What you "gained" by buying for less you will lose on the resale value. I would return it. I had ordered a "special" once- it was enough to see it - careless stitching, cheap looking leather - you will look like carrying a fake, I returned mine in disgust as soon as post office opened. I have some suspicion that Mulberry may collaborate with fake factories by now and they produce their "specials" at the same factories where fakes are made, and the only difference is approval of the brand (this is personal opinion only, no accusations). Sorry for being harsh, we are all being brainwashed into parting with our money, I am afraid.:graucho:

^^I always appreciate others' views but I must disagree with Korzinka on this occasion.

Here's my two-penneth....

Outlets are a source of all types/levels of quality: good & not so good.

1. Outlet "Specials" can be produced in both different AND the same leathers as the full RRP bags.

Yes, eg, the Outlet special reptile Bays are different but I think its untrue & harsh to say inferior. I certainly disagree that Outlet Specials are made in an inferior way: I have found the stitching/zips/etc to be of the same quality. More rivets have come off full price Roxys than Outlet ones in my case.

My Outlet Printed VT Bays (Oak, Choc, Black) have an additional NVT leather lining to top flap that makes these versions are higher quality than the RRP. Apparently, this version was too expensive to produce and so was discontinued - so I have bags that never went into full production and hence an Outlet bag has become very rare.

As a buyer, I always consider the merits of each bag over whether it originally came from Bond St, Harrods or Bicester or MulberryMad or LHBs or Naughti Pigeon etc etc.

To consider depreciation - I think you have to look at the % of original cost that they maintain.................I would suggest that Outlet bags retain more of their value. I would say that only the wellknown Mulberry business sellers (due to their recognised trust & brand value) can command a resale price that maintains any decent % of the original cost of a full price bag.

2. Outlet "faulty" bags aka Subs

I think this all depends on the individual item - some subs are very damaged but others are perfect and maybe just a customer return. Real bargains to be had here.

3. Outlet Sample Bags

These are perfect bags that either never went into full production or have a very limited run and are, quite frankly, the Holy Grail for me. eg Oak Hayworth, Redford, Somerset Holdall.

Im sorry this sounds like a rant (didnt mean it that way), I just dont want anyone to feel bad about their choice of bag.

There are lots of girls that are fortunate to be able to spend freely on full price bags and there are others who will save up for ages to treat themselves to an Outlet bag - I share the joy in both.

A few days ago I was rather blunt in my opinion of Outlet reptile Bays (preferring old vintage) and I was really horrified that I had upset a girl who had received one as a present. Now whilst I dont like the leather, I certainly dont think it looks like a fake or looks cheap.

I know we can all have Buyers' remorse esp after a BIG spend and sometimes need some reassurance re our decision.

Harries, I really do think you have made a great choice re your Bays with Silver hw, I cannot believe that it would look anything other than top-notch Mulberry...........BUT if you have your doubts then return it and choose another that you are more confident about.

(Personally - I think you and "Audrey" are a great combination)

Love Ells xx

Absolutely second everything Ellie has said.

Harries your bays is a real rare beauty! I would sell a kidney to have a black bays with silver h/w! Certainly is not inferior in quality and will be highly sought after, resale value would be great - but why would you ever want to sell such a lovely one? :love:

^^^^ agree totally with above 2 posts my burgundy bays is lovely NVT leather from cheshire oaks and when i went into mulberry king street the ladies admired the colour and said they hadn't seen one before i felt quite special, so if it makes your heart sing then keep it and enjoy it sounds devine.....

Oh Messy, I didnt know you had a Burgundy NVt Bays - I saw them at Bicester last summer.....................beyond gorgeous shade, really beautiful. I watched the SAs putting them out and I watched hands flying as all 6 were sold in the space of 30 mins.

No wonder the posh ladies of King Street were swooning.....

Oh Messy, I didnt know you had a Burgundy NVt Bays - I saw them at Bicester last summer.....................beyond gorgeous shade, really beautiful. I watched the SAs putting them out and I watched hands flying as all 6 were sold in the space of 30 mins.

No wonder the posh ladies of King Street were swooning.....
i love it! even my DH thinks its special:biggrin: im so glad i wasn't put off about the clochette and kept it....

I agree, to begin with Clochettes seem like a "must have" but to be honest they often get in the way and are more trouble than anything else.

I do like how some of the girls use them with a keyring though!

My Marine (Outlet) Bays came with 2 clochettes (found extra one in pocket) - but what do you do with 2?

PMSL at bespoke earings :lolots:

I'm another one who thinks that the silver hardware is divine. Totally my cuppa, plus I agree that a keyring/charm can be a great alternative to the clochette.

The important thing though is how you feel about the bag. Really hope that you decide to keep her, she sounds like a beauty !