Mulberry at Selfridges

This was the reply from Selfridges below. I get the rigorous checks for frauds and that's fine, but this was not damaged by me. I have bought many Mulberry's and returned some with no issue and yes, if it was damaged when I received it, I would have said so, but it wasn't. I have filed a complain with my credit card and also E mailed Mulberry.com direct as they need to be aware of this since it's also happened to someone else. I have E mailed them back to say this and that if they don't refund me, I will contact trading Standards, the press and social media. It's clearly a scam or very careless warehouse staff, but either way, I am not letting them get away with it. They'll do it to someone else if I do. I'm furious. "Shows signs of use!!!!! I only had it over night, when the heck would I have used it????

Anyway I'll keep you all updated.

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Dear Tracey,

I am contacting you regarding the return of your Mulberry product.

When any order is returned to Selfridges, it undergoes a thorough inspection to ensure that it is still in the same resalable condition it was sent out in. Whilst processing your return we found that the bag shows signs of use due to scratch marks being present.

We have vigilant quality control procedures in place to ensure that all items are in pristine condition and fit for purpose before they are sent out to our customers. Due to the item not being returned to us in a saleable condition, we will be unable to proceed with your return.

I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you. I do hope you can understand our position on this.

Please let me know if you would like your item sent back to the original delivery address on the order or an alternative address.

I will await your reply and once you have confirmed your delivery address your item will be sent to you.

Kind regards,

Selfridges Customer Services

Are you able to return it in store or is it online returns only? If you can, I would explain the situation to staff and how you have never used the bag, therefore any scratches possible could not be your fault.

Sometimes it takes a bit of complaining for them to see your side, so I would keep contacting them. Did they return the bag to you?

I don't think Selfridges stores will deal with online sales -they are treated as separate entities like franchises- i asked about items I had looked at online and was told they operate as separate businesses with different policies and pricing. Some stores are wholesale and own the stock while some are concessions etc. I think you may need legal advice and you need to at least look at the online terms and conditions which you tick agreement to when you buy to see where you stand

This was how they returned the bag to me with no protection on the flap, the chain loose outside the bag and not enough stuffing inside. The only two very faint marks I can even see are where the tag plastic has probably rubbed on the top and the loose strap on the back. This was not due to me at all it is through their shoddy handling of the bag by their warehouse staff after it was returned. Any how I am trying to claim via my CC and will see what happens.

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2e.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2e.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 530
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2f.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2f.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 530
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_32.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_32.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 530
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3a.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3a.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 532
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_34.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_34.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:
This was how they returned the bag to me with no protection on the flap, the chain loose outside the bag and not enough stuffing inside. The only two very faint marks I can even see are where the tag plastic has probably rubbed on the top and the loose strap on the back. This was not due to me at all it is through their shoddy handling of the bag by their warehouse staff after it was returned. Any how I am trying to claim via my CC and will see what happens.
I have had bags from Harrods Selfridges and. Fenwicks all dreadfully packaged and have never ordered anything from.any of them ever since it's disgusting for so called luxury stores

Reactions: Tarababe
I have had bags from Harrods Selfridges and. Fenwicks all dreadfully packaged and have never ordered anything from.any of them ever since it's disgusting for so called luxury stores

I agree with you Elvisfan4life and I will never again either. I replied to Mulberry.com's response below and also have copied their reply following that. They shouldn't be allowing department stores to sell their goods if they do this and treat customers this way.

My reply to initial response:

Dear Lauren
I hear your reply re Selfridges being an independent retailer. But I attach pictures of the said bag which they returned to me at my home address today, not at my request. How could this now be sent with no protection on the chain or cloche and no adequate packaging to prevent further damage, above the supposed damage I caused. Regardless of how I apparently returned it, which was not like this, they should not be returning it in this way.
I can not understand how they are allowed to get away with obviously lying about customers damaging or using items, which to me now seems pretty clear was damaged by their staff in the warehouse.
I am so disappointed that Mulberry will continue to allow them to be a distributer of such expensive products when treated like this and this is certainly not a good advert for Mulberry.
Yours a very unhappy customer.
Tracey McDonald

There reply to mine above:

Dear Tracey

Thank you for your reply and we understand your concerns.
Please be advised that we have raised this with the sales manager at Selfridges in order to be addressed appropriately.
Although Mulberry.com are unable to assist further with your query, we take this matter very seriously and have ensured that this is passed along. Should we hear anything regarding this we will of course pass the information on.
Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any further Mulberry enquiries as we are more than happy to help.

Kindest Regards
Lauren Hayman

Assistant Customer Services Manager - Digital
Mulberry
The Rookery
Chilcompton
BA3 4EH
Somerset
United Kingdom

I am not expecting Mulberry to refund me but they should make sure they get a response from Selfridges. Good luck to them as they will no doubt get the stock E mail replies I have had and other customers constantly get.

So an update. Selfridges were not interested and initially my credit card just sent their reply saying I had damaged it. I disputed this and eventually the Credit card refunded me.

As I said before and if you look on their FB review page, they are doing this to loads of people.

My advise for what it's worth, DON"T BUY ANYTHING FROM SELFRIDGES.

Reactions: PeanutB
So an update. Selfridges were not interested and initially my credit card just sent their reply saying I had damaged it. I disputed this and eventually the Credit card refunded me.

As I said before and if you look on their FB review page, they are doing this to loads of people.

My advise for what it's worth, DON"T BUY ANYTHING FROM SELFRIDGES.

Glad to see you got your money back in the end. I had a look on their FB page and am shocked to read so many bad stories about their customer service. Being a well-known store, I would have thought they would do their best to keep the customer happy and acknowledge and resolve any problems. I would definitely think twice about purchasing from Selfridges in the future!

A few years ago I bought two bags from Selfridges in the sale. They arrived crushed into one box with no filling inside them, the leather bent and distorted. Customer service was a shrug and 'return it' attitude.
I bought a couple of small items early in their sale this year and they have just started sending me out of stock refund emails. I've had this before so it's not surprising, again, their centralised customer service is a shrug factory and their stock management is even worse than John Lewis.
If you have low expectations and don't mind whether you receive your item or not, then Selfridges website is ideal. Anything else I'd go elsewhere.

Woah, that sucks that a high end retailer would treat a customer that way. I had a damaged bag come from Neiman Marcus...scratched during shipping and they bent over backwards to get me a new bag. They had already shipped a new bag overnight that same day. I didn't even get the scratched bag to the post office until the next afternoon. For a very short period of time, I had two Chloe Small Faye bags. Now THAT is what I call stellar customer service and I am not a huge NM customer either. I typically buy one bag per year from them so I am not spending massive amounts of money there but they still bent over backwards to rectify the situation.

Woah, that sucks that a high end retailer would treat a customer that way. I had a damaged bag come from Neiman Marcus...scratched during shipping and they bent over backwards to get me a new bag. They had already shipped a new bag overnight that same day. I didn't even get the scratched bag to the post office until the next afternoon. For a very short period of time, I had two Chloe Small Faye bags. Now THAT is what I call stellar customer service and I am not a huge NM customer either. I typically buy one bag per year from them so I am not spending massive amounts of money there but they still bent over backwards to rectify the situation.

That's great customer service! :biggrin: