Mulberry announces resignation of CEO

My guess is that the Cara range was his last chance to show that his strategy was working - and that if it didn't generate the hoped-for waiting list, that would have been the nail in the coffin after all the profit warnings.

So-called "resignations" at CEO level aren't always voluntary, but are sometimes called that to allow the person to walk away with a degree of dignity and a nice payout...

I wouldn't wish anyone any ill will, but I do think he was completely the wrong person for Mulberry, and had to go - and the board had better make sure they recruit the right person to turn around the decline. The huge number of quality issues, alienation of a loyal client base, and failure to listen to feedback have all been damaging - but Mulberry can be saved with the right person at the helm.

Here's hoping this gets sorted quickly!
I am so glad to see him go. I love mulberry but he was ruining the brand and my love for it.
We know designer bags are luxury items. But as a working woman in a professional job (which is by no means super high paid- I work in the public sector after all) I want affordable luxury, not silly money luxury!

I'll put it this way, I have started looking at the price of any new M bags I (actually) like and seeing what I can get for the same money from LV, YSL, Jimmy Choo etc. I discovered that I could get rather a lot. The constant price hikes achieved the opposite of what Guillon desired, instead of drawing people in they drove them to looking upwards towards other design houses. For the price of a small willow tote I can get a LV Montana and matching vernis strap.

It looks like they have already had a shake up at the top prior to Bruno's departure & appointed Steven Newey from LV as Group Commercial Director. :cool:

Didn't Bruno work with LV at some point before he joined Mulberry? It's quite common for senior people to bring in others they've previously worked with and trust when they go somewhere new, so it could also point to the fact he expected to stay in post and was assembling a team of trusted lieutenants.

(Given the marketing man who was rude to people on facebook at the time of the Cara launch was apparently French, I thought that might have been the case with him.)

Maybe Bruno just decided he'd had enough of our moaning, though. We drove him out! :lolots:

Didn't Bruno work with LV at some point before he joined Mulberry? It's quite common for senior people to bring in others they've previously worked with and trust when they go somewhere new, so it could also point to the fact he expected to stay in post and was assembling a team of trusted lieutenants.

(Given the marketing man who was rude to people on facebook at the time of the Cara launch was apparently French, I thought that might have been the case with him.)

Maybe Bruno just decided he'd had enough of our moaning, though. We drove him out! :lolots:

I don't think this one is French though, so hopefully he will be more sympathetic to the UK market. I think you could be right though Wordsworth about why he went lol. :roflmfao:

Can't say that I'm sad to see him go. Although I don't think M will reduced any of the retail prices. The only way the can bring down the prices is higher discount during sales time.
Hope they figure out what they need to do and act fast

I noticed in the article in the Guardian it stated Bruno had improved the leather quality. Is this true? I have been buying Mulberry off and on for years and I haven't noticed an improvement. I thought some of the leather was not the quality of some of the older bags.

Any opinions?

I noticed in the article in the Guardian it stated Bruno had improved the leather quality. Is this true? I have been buying Mulberry off and on for years and I haven't noticed an improvement. I thought some of the leather was not the quality of some of the older bags.

Any opinions?

I think they said it to be nice.

Fantastic news :yahoo::yahoo :

Interesting.... is there still no designer or sign of one yet? Who designs the bags and RTW in the meantime?

I would imagine now Bruno has gone finding a designer won't be difficult. I doubt anyone wanted to take it on all the time Bruno was destroying the brand. It was too big a risk to be dragged down with him.

Yes Bruno, that's right! You increase the prices, Emma Hill leaves because she refuses to agree to a further increase, Mulberry has no Creative Director, the shares go downhill and now you leave!!!!

Veeeeery nice...NOT...

I doubt it was his decision to leave, I imagine the shareholders gave him a firm push and a large boot to resign, far better to go gracefully from his point of view. Let's hope he didn't get a big payoff

I for one am so GLAD to see him go. I knew he would be gone soon after the latest profit warnings as he was destroying the brand.
Well done mulberry! And don't forget your loyal UK customers while you expand internationally.

Well said CP he was crucifying our precious Mulberry. Hopefully it's not too late to turn things around and repair the dreadful damage he has done.

I always thought he was a French saboteur sent from Hermes...............I notice the share price went up .35p as soon as he resigned.

Last edited:

Any opinions?

I was wondering about the quality thing as well, because what I've noticed is that lately people have been complaining about their bags falling apart after minimal use etc...kinda hard to see the results of Bruno's "hard work". Good riddance! :bagslap: