Mulberry Alexa vs. PS1 Bag

dopey

Jan 11, 2008
I was wondering if anyone here has both bags and what are the pros and cons of each? The look of both bags are similar to me. I'd like to know:

- the quality of leather, if it scratches easily,
- weight of the bag with and without stuff inside
- durability and reaction to rain
- buckle quality
- ease of use , if it is easy to get stuff in and out of

Thank you in advance!

Hi, there. I only have the Alexa, and it is a beautiful bag. The leather is super soft and smooshy, and the smell is divine. The PS1 looks gorgeous in photos, but I haven't seen one in person yet.

The Alexa is a fairly light bag, and I have stuffed it full (I have the regular size in Ink...there is also an oversized version) without any weight issues. I have treated the bag to protect it from water, but I haven't been caught in the rain with it yet. I have heard of the lighter colors (oak) having some color transfer with blue jeans. But if you treat the bag before wearing, the color should come off with a baby wipe.

The buckles are a nice matte light gold color, but of course they are faux buckles. There are snap closures on the back sides of the buckles. It's a bit annoying to get in and out of if you are in a hurry, but I find that is true of any flap bag with any sort of turnlock or other secure closure.

Also, keep in mind that if you are on the shorter side (under 5'5 or 5'4) you may have to have extra holes punched into the strap. Mulberry seems to have designed the bag for someone tall.

Pfers own every and size and color available so far...so if you have any questions about a particular size or color, someone in the Mulberry subforum should have an answer for you! There are tons of photos and modelling pics over there as well.

Good luck deciding!

They do look very similar. And i also do not have any of either.
But i'd go for the Mulberry Alexa just b/c mulberry is a better well known brand.

I feel like Proenza is just a random brand that is WAY overpriced.

proenza schouler isn't random to me at all. they may be less well known in the handbag world since they've only recently entered that market compared to mulberry who's always made handbags, but they're actually one of the marquee designers of nyfw. plus, to be fair, i think ALL designer handbags are overpriced.

i like both bags, but i prefer the ps1. i like the structure, and it's a cooler, sleeker vibe as opposed to the alexa's boho one.

I saw the PS1 irl in Barneys earlier this week and while I had no interest in it before seeing it, I find myself thinking about it way too often now (I'm on a ban). They have a teal color that is just tdf!

i've seen both in stores, i think the PS1 is lighter
i found the buckle of the PS1 really fiddly though
on the other hand, the strap on the PS1 is wider, whereas i've heard the alexa one is thinner so may dig in after long periods of use
i suppose it all depends on which "look" you like more...totally different vibes
personally i prefer the alexa...especially the price! :smile:

BTW, forgot to say, I prefer the PS1 to the Alexa. I do think they have different vibes, I think the Alexa is very english and the PS1 is very NYC, but cool hipster NYC, not UES NYC. BTW, I don't know too much about the bag, but I was wondering about the bag's name. I realize it's the designers' name and their first bag hence PS1. But there's also a really cool art museum in NYC named PS1 and it's exactly the kind of museum I can see design student types hanging out. Was wondering if it is coincidence?

I don't have both bags, but love the look on both. The only thing that's holding me off buying the Alexa, is THE MADE IN CHINA, I don't know if some are made in England but the SA said they're CHINa. The PS1 is gorgeous, but too overpriced.

PS1 is more Unisex in term of look with regards to Mulberry Alexa. If you are a guy, i think PS1 is much better choice except the price. Mulberry Alexa is way too small to fit much in my opinon. It's probably a nice city bag for leisure day out for those that prefer messenger bags.

Thanks everyone!! I'm still undecided though. I guess I just really prefer testing out both bags in real life, as opposed to basing it on pics online. Especially if you'll pay that much money. ;)