MRSA info in animals??

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
My niece has MRSA on her leg and was at my house last week b/c my sister was in the area and needed to use the restroom. They were here for no more than 5 minutes. My dog got 1 lick on her boo-boo (which was covered with a bandage) once, before I could get him. A few days later a red pimple or boil popped up on his bottom jaw.

I have been all over the internet and read that it can be transferred from human to pet. I called my vet to see if they can do a culture. They said yes and they send it out to a lab, but they couldn't do it today, tomorrow is the soonest. I tried to ask some Q's to see what I could find out, if I should be flipping out or not. She didn't know anything at all about it in animals. Great, now I really am flipping out.

I also found a couple articles where the dogs have died from it. Since it is on his lip-if it pops, I don't see any way of containing it so that he does not lick it and carry it inside.

Is there anybody here that is a vet, or has dealt with this situation before? My dog is only 4 years old and I am flipping out right now! I don't want to be a hypochondriac and over-react, but I also don't want to say "oh,it's only a pimple" and have my dog die from it!

PLEASE HELP!:sad:

chessmont

O.G.
Aug 22, 2006
CA
I think you do have good reason to be concerned. Get that culture done, and keep us posted. If it's nothing but a pimple, then you can take a deep breath - and don't feel like you overreacted. MRSA is very serious. I'm sure you've seen some of the photos on the Web. I don't want to scare you with what I have seen in dogs, as it may be only a pimple

Good luck, I hope it is just a coincidence!

Here is an interview with a vet who is very knowledgable about MRSI in pets, which is a different organism than the one in humans I know the intervier personally, but never saw her bozoi when she was ill. Maybe if necessary, your vet can contact this vet. This vet indicates dogs just get the MRSI, but I jave been googling some more and now I see ones that state the dogs can get MRSA too. So now I am confused.

http://www.petconnection.com/blog/mrsi-laura-stokking/

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2006
Florida
So after calling several vets in my area, I finally found one who knew about it extensively enough to calm me down. I am making an appointment with him for tomorrow so he can look at it, culture it, and prescribe antibiotics. I'm still worried, but at least I found someone knowledgeable who took the time to talk to me about it and to find out why I suspected MRSA. Everyone else I talked to didn't know anything about it, and they all blew me off. So I will update tomorrow!
Thank-you Chessmont!