Mr. Clean Eraser mess?!?!

I know this is an ancient thread, but I think I ruined the handles of my Sonatine. I just wanted to get the patina a tad lighter, and they're horribly dark and look dirty and gross. And it's a discontinued bag, so I think I'm stuck with it. What did I do?! (Rhetorical question - I know exactly what I did. Mess with something that wasn't broken!) :tdown:

I can take pics tonight... but no before pictures. My bag is discontinued, so I was terrified LV wouldn't replace the straps. But they will... For $168 plus tax (11% in lovely Chicago). Which is 33% of the entire bag price. But I can't carry it like this. I'm so mad at myself.

I see others have used it successfully, I wish I was one of them.

I can take pics tonight... but no before pictures. My bag is discontinued, so I was terrified LV wouldn't replace the straps. But they will... For $168 plus tax (11% in lovely Chicago). Which is 33% of the entire bag price. But I can't carry it like this. I'm so mad at myself.

I see others have used it successfully, I wish I was one of them.

The Sonatine is such a cute bag I would definitely get those handles replaced. I destroyed my BH with the magic eraser. The leather is soooo dry and lacks luster. Wish I had never messed with it.

I did try baby wipes with no luck. And now I'm scared to do anything else...even though I'll get them replaced, what's the harm?

I love my Sonatine. I'm actually kind of surprised it's discontinued. I think it's such a cute little bag! But prone to dirty handles. Lessons learned - do not hold with fingers, and do not try to remove patina or dirt myself.

Here are some pictures of my sonatine. I guess looking at it today it's not *quite* as bad as I thought initially...Maybe tolerable, but I'm still not happy with it.

Sonatine_001.jpg

Sonatine_002.jpg

Sonatine_003.jpg

Sonatine_004.jpg

I think your bag looks lovely. I actually like it. I'm also thinking of getting vintage bags and using the ME to clean them up. I think yours turned out very well.

I Just made a new thread asking if it was worth getting new handles... I like the patina (Except for where I messed it up!). I don't really want to pay for new ones, and to have to re-patina them. I like the honey color. But at the same time, these look so ugly to me now. :sad: Do you think they look dirty and nasty? I think they look a bit worse in person.

I guess it's very hard to tell through a camera lens. You can check to see if the price is worth it to get the handles replaced. IDK if you are still unhappy then you could always sell it.