Moving Violation in Bergen County, NJ - Need Advice

randr21

in the untamed rabbit hole
O.G.
May 25, 2006
New York City
DH went golfing and was ticketed by state trooper in Bergen county, NJ. I wasn't there but he's pretty bummed about it (stress eating and everything). Supposedly, the trooper tagged him by radar going "84" in a "55" mph zone. Ofcourse, only Bergen seems to 55, while others nearby are minimum 65.

In either case, is there any advice that anyone can offer? he may want to try to retain a lawyer if that will help. Does anyone know of a lawyer from Bergen who has lots of experience? A friend of ours said that she knew of someone who spent $3000 just to hire a lawyer to go to court and remove the points, but not the amount. I'm thinking that we just chalk this one up but DH says that it'll stay on his record for 5 years and the insurance will be more than the couple thousand or so we need to spend on a lawyer.:shrugs:

Beach Bum

O.G.
Feb 17, 2006
I grew up in Bergen County.the cops r tough there

I WOULD get a lawyer....they usually get the points taken off...and just a fine.Its worth the money

pcil

Living life to the fullest
O.G.
Oct 20, 2008
Silicon Valley
Uhm..I thought it only stays for 3 yr? And you usually can take driving lesson to deduct the points?

I usually went to court, without lawyer, during the time they ask me to come and they just deduct my points and fines. Not sure if it's different from state to state

Sep 14, 2007
From Bergen County and cops are really rough here and everywhere right now. I work in the city and was pulled over for NOT talking on my cell phone and it was in my cup holder and i was on my hands free (with the wire) and four cops surrounded my car saying "Get her! She's on her cell phone!". So...desperate for money.
Anyway, I was pulled over in a speed trap in upstate NY this year. I think there's a thread somewhere that I will try to find. Someone suggested I call the District Attorney which I did and say that I'm not a speeder etc. I have to find a thread because it will be a help. The points is the issue (insurance goes way up and you could eventually lose your license). Pay whatever they want.
I would call the town where he got the ticket and see if there's a court house. Maybe they can tell you if there's a DA there in charge and then you can ask that guy what to do in this scenario.

kattykay

sofa king sexy!
Jun 8, 2008
new jersey
Try going to the courthouse first and see what they say, you might be able to bargain down the points there yourself before taking it to court. I got pulled over in Jackson (ocean county) and thats what I did. My ticket was only for 2 points though, I cant remember how much you get for that much over.

May 7, 2007
Oh man that really sucks! I know how he feels, its a nightmare. Currently in Jersey the cops are stopping people left and right. The highway has so many cars pulled over.

The thing is, he was almost going 30mph over. This might need an attorney, maybe not.

Since he was going 29 mph over the limit, thats considered a 4 point violation

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Violations/penalties_pointSchedule.htm

(Exceeding maximum speed 15-29 mph over limit - 4 points)

(Exceeding maximum speed 30 mph or more over limit - 5 points)

There are many options.

You could skip going to court, pay off the ticket and get the 4 points depending if court appearance is mandatory or not (check the ticket) But most likely his insurance will go up, especially if he already has points.

Best thing to do is plead guilty, call the # on the ticket and schedule a court date. When he goes to court, plead guilty. Then he will have a chance to speak with the prosecutor. Now some prosecutors are very nice, and some are total a$$holes.

The outcome for your husbands speeding ticket will all depend on his driving record, how many points he already has if any, and the mood of the prosecutor.

They can do a plea bargain to lower the 4 points. Most likely, like in my case, they will lower the 4 point violation to a 2 point violation. This is only if he has never done a plea bargain in the past to lower a point violation.

This route will cost more than just paying off the ticket, but in the long run it will be worth it, because you don't want to risk increasing your insurance.

Now he could still be stuck with the 2 points, but he can take a Defensive driving course to remove them.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/Defensive.htm

Good Luck!!

lorihmatthews

A taste for the arts
O.G.
Oct 7, 2006
San Francisco
Can he do traffic school online? I did that and although I had to pay a fine, no points went on my license.

Is it an option for him to fight the ticket in court? Here in SF, if the officer doesn't show up, the ticket is taken off your record. Sometimes if there are too many people fighting their tickets and the court can't get through everyone, they offer a reduced fine if you pay that day.

Echoes

O.G.
Aug 8, 2008
Just pay the ticket and move on. The insurance company won't care if there are points or not, and if he has a decent history otherwise, they may not even bother with this. Some insurance companies forgive one ticket or accident in a certain period of time.

I'd rather give the money to the county/state than some lawyer.

Charles

Sucks at budgeting
O.G.
Jan 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Fl
The easiest thing would be taking the traffic class. Or you can find a traffic lawyer that specializes in stuff like this and have it handled for a couple hundred dollars.

Also, if you have a clear record, one ticket isn't going to make your ins go up that much. It's not that big of a deal, so tell hubby to relax. :smile:

pcil

O.G.
Oct 20, 2008
Silicon Valley
I got a speeding ticket in Indiana 1-2yr ago going 85 in 55 speed limit. I went to court and met with the prosecutor BEFORE court. I didn't say anything, he just looked at my ticket, cross out the speed and lower it to 70 and I paid ~$100 less and got 2 point less in my record. It worth a try.

I've just gotten another ticket last week in SF going 75 on 65 :sad: I'm going to do written trial declaration first and if that fails I'll do something they call trial de novo. Try to google something, hopefully it helps.

Dec 14, 2005
USA
Can he go to a driving school? My DH got a speeding ticket a few years ago and went to driving school. They reduced the fine and the points.

randr21

in the untamed rabbit hole
O.G.
May 25, 2006
New York City
really appreciate everyone's advice. i forgot to mention that we have NYS license and insurance, so dh just confirmed that NYS does not collect NJ points! now, all he has to worry about is if our NY insurance company ever collects the points... he's got no prob with the fine, just the points. either way, dh plans on going to the courthouse and at least talking to them to see if anything can be done.

he has no other points on his record, been clean for 10+ years (been w/ geico for 10+ years too), and he's already taken his driving school course this year, so not sure if he can take another.

Last edited:

pcil

O.G.
Oct 20, 2008
Silicon Valley
Depends on the state. I got a ticket in CA and I have IN license. It did not go into my record. And you can only take 1 driving school every 18mths.