Moving to Vancouver, BC - need advice!

lucky girl! i have always wanted to move to van. but the way things have turned out...i'm happily stuck here in calgary for awhile! when i go to van i love shopping on robson and eating in richmond.

the bus system is wonderful. There is also the skytrain. I lived there for 21 years and i never had my own car. (i took the bus/skytrain everywhere). Yes, it rains, but so what? carry an umbrella. :smile: If you live downtown, you wont want a car anyways. Kits is nice, but very expensive. You will love it.

timtimtim said:
If not Kits, consider living in Downtown, Coal Harbour or West End.

For good food - True Confection (cake) + Guu (snack style Japanese rest.

Richmond nightmarket is something to check out on a lazy weekend night during the Summer..not much to buy but nice to walk around and eat the "street" food.

If you're going to UBC, it'll be good to find Point Grey, University Area or Southlands...close to campus

also, if you decide you need a car - your lucky, cars in Vancouver are relatively cheap!

oh my gosh...I love true confections.....

you must try the chocolate cake with marshmellow frosting......

janice said:
Vancouver is a beautiful town. I've been a few times. I recall Kitsilano, Richmond and spent time on Robson street lol!!! I remember driving to this really cool gelato place that had something like 500 different flavors. I tried about 10 the one I liked the most was wasabi it was cold and spicey:yes: Congrats on the move!!

Mondo Gelato? lol

guccigoo said:
oh my gosh...I love true confections.....

you must try the chocolate cake with marshmellow frosting......

I LOOOVE the Strawberry Shortcake!!!!!! Some people did not believe me when I said it was TDF so I brought an entire cake on the plane one time..HAHA

The only thing that is kinda lacking in Vancouver is shopping - Robson is for tourists and isn't that particularly great....Downtown is only good for select scattered boutiques, and Holt in Pacific. I prefer Oakridge more then anything. Don't even get me started on Metrotown, cause that's just gross.

thanks so much everyone! i'm so excited! :yahoo:
my mom thinks i'm CRAZY to be going to school in canada, she thinks it's the land of skiers and grizzly bears :lol:
but what does she know? :rolleyes:

Shyloo said:
It will cost more than other areas but it will be worth it - and there is a beach there too
There are some older apartment buildings in Kits with lots of character. Lots of people have revenue suites in their basements too. Also some houses are completly converted into apartments!!
Good Luck and keep us posted.

yes, i'm looking to find a shared apartment or a basement suite somewhere... must go house-hunting!

Magical Karma Princess said:
Kits is a great area especially if single. Welcome to the best place on Earth. Feel free to pm me if you want more informtion re: Van. Good luck with your move!

Spectacular by Nature!!!!!!
thanks! i absolutely fell in love with vancouver when i visited, can't wait to actually live there!

When I saw Coldplay there in January I stayed on Robson street and it was so much fun. We walked everywhere. I loved the Tsunami sushi restaurant on Robson (it's upstairs) because your sushi is served on cute boats in the water! I also went to some mall on Robson that had Hoyt Renfew and yummy Perdy chocolates. The Vancouver 2010 Olympics are in full swing promotion so enjoy all the banners.

yeah, that's one thing i do not miss at all about van. the shopping is horrible. I am so much happier in the states with all the great stores and deals etc. not to mention online shopping (most don't ship to canada). If asked if i'd leave usa and go back home to canada...i really really have to deep down and think about it, b/c i'd REALLY miss the shopping here.

Congrats on your move! I lived there for about a month and enjoyed every minute. There's lots of stuff to do and I ate sooo much. LOL
The transit was good. I was kind of shocked how many homeless are there and how early some shops close. Much earlier than the states.

Hello and welcome!!! If you're intending on going to UBC, then please do consider the Kits area like everyone suggested. It's like the "student and young professional" area, most people will be young 20's, and food/shopping/activities and the beach will be within reach without need of a car. The public transit in the area is pretty good too :smile: And I think it'll be lots cheaper than in downtown to rent.

Are you looking to rent, or to purchase a place to stay though??? Prices here are high and inflated...I should know, BF's a realtor.

thanks everyone! :smile:
i think i'm going to rent a place, as i'm going to be there for 2 years at least... and i'm a student with a limited budget.

i'll probably going to be bombarding you guys with PMs when i get there, like, "help! where can i buy toothpaste??":lol:

Regarding the shopping, the PLUS is that you're close to Seattle. Also, there is a huge outlet mall that opened in Tulalip which is about an hour north of Seattle (and hence closer to B.C.)

Here's a link so you can see the shops, they have Burberry, Coach and some others. I got a beautiful London Fog black car length trench coat there on clearance for $39 a few months ago. Regular price nearly $200!

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/store_listing.asp?id=71

There is also another outlet mall in Burlington as well, which is about 30 minutes north from Tulalip:

http://www.primeoutlets.com/cntrdefault.asp?cntrid=1016

Also Van has great drug stores. London Drugs and Shopper's Drug Mart are both great and have a huge selection including MAJOR cosmetics brands you'd normally see in Dept. stores in the U.S.