Moving to the USA from the UK

  1. Hi all, I really want to go to college in california. Im just wondering if theres anyone who has done this and is it expensive etc ? :smile:
  2. Where in the US are you planning on going to?

    Edited to say: I must be blind, I see you are interested in CA. I grew up in CA. If you have any questions about the universities, PM me and I'll see if I can help. Which part of CA do u want to live?
  3. i moved to the states when i was 13 and i have gone to the university here in california.
    i can tell you one thing for sure... foreign students studying in USA here is VERY expensive...
    i think they add an extra fee for foreign students... double check with the university you want to go to tho...
  4. Are you from London?

    General daily expenses will seem half the price!

    But I agree, international students do pay a lot more for tuition.
  5. California (and most of the US in general) is very expensive. International Students usually pay a lot more for tuition than in and out of state students. I would say you can expect to pay at least twice as much as an in state student.

    Here's an example of how much it costs for an in state (meaning that this person lived in the state for a certain amount of time before they applied to the school) student at the University of California:

    ESTIMATED COSTS, 2005-2006

    Average costs for an undergraduate California resident living in University housing:

    Books and Supplies​
    Health Insurance Allowance/Fee​
    Room and Board
    $ 2,370​
    Total Average Estimated Costs

    Now...An international student would pay much much more than this. Here is the statement that they hvae on their website about the additional charges that out of state students paid:

    Nonresidents were charged an additional $18,120 in tuition and fees in 2005-2006.

    ...It's something that you really have to think about. Do you have the financial resources to afford all of this, plus books, an apartment (or living on campus), food, bills, a car (or public transportation), etc. Are there any resources available for you to get financial aid for you to study abroad from the UK?

    ...and can I ask why you want to go to California? Just because it's California or is there something specific that interests you there?
  6. Oh, also...I went to a few more websites to see how much other schools' tuition is. Remember, these are for in state students:

    USC (University of Southern California):

    Undergraduate Estimate of Costs

    Based on the 2006-2007 academic year, the following are estimated two-semester costs at USC for a full-time undergraduate living in university housing:
    • $33,892 Tuition and fees (12-18 units for two semesters)
    • $10,144 Room and board
    • $750 Books and supplies
    • $1,600 Personal and Miscellaneous
    • $580 Transportation
    • $46,966 Total (add $140 for your very first semester at USC orientation fee)
    UCLA (University of California Los Angeles):

    I can't get the UCLA one to copy correctly, but you can look on their website to get an idea:

    UCLA Undergrad Admissions: Fees, Tuition, and Estimated Student Budget

    UCDavis (University of California, in Davis) this is for non-resident of California students:

    Annual costs: $27,007.16.
  7. I haven't yet gone to college, but in less than a month I will be starting my freshman year at the University of California Santa Barbara, and let me tell you that as an out of state student it is super expensive :sad: It's going to cost me about 36,000 a year for tuition/room and board, and let's not forget the other living costs I have to take care of.

    That said, I love my college! So if you can afford it, then it's a great opportunity to live and learn in a beautiful place.
  8. Hi all, thanks for all your replys. Im interested in going fullerton College. Im from near liverpool in the UK and I really want to study fashion editing.
  9. I'm not sure if you've looked into the costs of Fullerton College, but I found on their website that their cost per unit (Credit hour) for non-US residents is $171.00.

    A majority of the time, each class is about 3 or 4 credit hours, and the minimum a student must take to be full time (at most schools) is 12 credits (units) per semester - but the average is about 15.

    I'm not sure how your degree program is structured, so I'm just letting you know my experience :smile:

    Also..something to consider is if you want to return to the UK or if you want to stay in the US. Sometimes, degree programs aren't recognized in other countries. Yes, I know that sounds stupid - but a friend of mine is having that exact problem right now. She moved from Spain to Germany, and is having trouble having her degree recognized by the companies she's applying to.

    I wish you the best of luck :smile:
  10. thanks for the info. I cant believe how high the cost is, Its really making me think twice now. I just dont know what to do...Its very high price and I probably wont bebale to afford that high. What would you do ?. I really want to try something new and different.
  11. why don't you go to uni in the uk and do a course that offers a year abroad? you wouldn't pay fees for that year at all if you go somewhere within the eu, and if you go to the US it would be a much cheaper way to do it since it would only be for one year and you'd probably get a discounted rate. i'm not completely sure how that works since my exchange is within the eu but you could probably find something with a quick google.
  12. thanks for the info. I really want to do fashion design but where I live its a little dull for fashion design...there is manchester but I find it too close to my home and I would love to move away.
  13. how about london? my cousin went to csm (for a non-fashion course) and she loved it, and there's always lcf.
  14. yeah I was looking into this before thinking about abroad. Doesnt Stella mc cartney own a college a fashion one ?
  15. not afaik, but she went to csm.