Moving to Los Angeles, nervous yet excited!

Sep 7, 2006
I'm moving to LA on Saturday for grad school... hearing all these stories about LA; I'm just a tad nervous. Also I've been looking at apartments around Pasadena, Culver City and Windsor Hills. Anyone know about these areas? Does anyone also have any advice/tips about living in LA? The positives, negatives... anything.

Wish me luck!

Congrats!!

I lived in the LA area for 12 years, Hollywood and Westwood. You will love it there. Great shopping, the beach, climate is the best, restaurants are wonderful, and people are cool.

You're going to love it! Where is your school? Pasadena is nice, but too far for a commute depending on where you're going. Culver city is meh, but I know a lot of people that live there and really like it. I don't know anything about Windsor hills though.

^^ I agree with lilian. Pasadena is far if you're going to UCLA and still a hike from USC. The young and fun areas are Brentwood, Westwood and Hollywood/West Hollywood. Culver City is up-and-coming and now has a really cute downtown with great restaurants. It's very important that you pick an LA-area neighborhood that's both youthful and close-ish in proximity to your school...if you can try to connect to other students at your school to see where they are living/planning to live.

Don't be nervous about LA, though. It's a regular city just like any other. Plus a beach. And great shopping. And perfect weather.

Hi -

I'm moving out to L.A. too...very overwhlemed. I've lived in Ohio ALL my life. I am excited but just don't know what to expect. My husband just accepted a job out there last week.

We're looking in Marina Del Ray, Hermosa Beach, Huntington Beach & Santa Monica. I'm actually looking at marketing some jobs that are located in Culver City - it seems like a pretty cool place.

I lived in Culver City when I worked at Sony Studios and LOVED it. I liked the fact that I could walk to work, it was right off the interstate and downtown Culver City is great at night for hanging out. My townhouse was dirt cheap and new construction. I think Pasadena is a tad bit far.

And the Smashbox studio is in Culver City !!

Congrats! I was only asking to try to guage the distance..anyway, I guess Pasadena is not so far from where you need to be. Good luck!! And enjoy the weather while you have it! It just rained here today and I died a little on the inside.

pasadena is still a drive because you have to take the HORRENDOUS 110 freeway (it goes directly from la to pasadena) but pasadena is a great place to live. Its a bit uppity at times (like a poor man's beverly hills) but "old town" pasadena is great- lots to do and see (read= shop and eat) Old Town is a cool setup- you can live on top in the lofts there and by cali standards they arent too bad. I had some friends live on top of one of the buildings and they would walk downstairs and get pinkberry and go to tiffany's. Not a bad thing, id say! I went to the local community college there and its wonderful. CSULA is a great school, congrats!

I live in a small small one street town about 15 mins from pasadena. LA is cool too, prettymuch anywhere around the LA area you live, you can always drive to something awesome.

don't forget to have some In-N-Out burger and be a total LA local! (its our burger joint here that is TO DIE FOR) and LA only shares it with 4 others in Nevada (las vegas) and I think only 1 in utah and thats it! all southern cali. :smile: trust me, you'll love it!

Babydoll: It's terrible! That's what I thought I would do when I first moved out there, but one ride on the bus and I was DONE (and I've been taking busses and subways all my life and usually liked them more than driving). Can you get something used for cheap?