Moving on......

emms2381

Nov 1, 2011
Ok.. I just wanted to guage and see what im going through is normal..

I started my designer collection with Mulberry - really used to love the fact they were/are a English brand who sell or sold quality leather items I also loved the fact that their designs were simple yet elegant with a nice target... then that changed i found that i didnt like any of their new designs and found the price increases to be way too stupid my opinion was always that if they were a high end luxury brand then there would not be any sales or outlets.. may sound a bit snobby but if im carrying a bag of great expense and then it goes in the sales its a bit dissapointing to me.

Also the fact that a lot of their bags are niw being made in Turkey or China really started to bug me too.

Then.... i moved on to LV... i loved the fact Louis had something different - high end designer bags, practicallity.. fun designs and from a resale point of view always held their value - more so than any other designer ive bought in the past.

My only problem with Louis Vuitton was that everyone carrys one... well not so much where I live.. i should say..

Everyone carrys a fake one!!

Soo... now where am I......

Chanel...

When i first took a love for designer handbags Chanel never really floated my boat... firstly I was never into all that quilting... and secondly I couldnt afford Chanel...

I am starting to believe its because I am a bit older now.. maybe I earn more?? But has anyone else moved on from LV or any other brand for that matter... if so why??

I dont ever see myself wanting to climb the designer ladder so to speak (ive no ambition of owning a Hermes) although they are very beautiful handbags they just dont personally do it for me..

So i thought this might be a nice thread to see why other people have moved on from LV as I see a lot of the people that always used to be revealling or talking about LV on other different brand forums now.

:smile:

• Taste changes. That's normal.
  • Once you own something, it loses part of its appeal. It never feels as special as when you didn't have it. That's why the new item in the window always looks so attractive!
  • Lastly, after working for LV, I stopped buying their products (overdose) and branched out to Gucci, Hermès (only one bag!), and Bottega Veneta (among others). A few years later, I came back to Louis Vuitton.

I think this is too personal to expect a general consensus to be honest.

I have been with the brand going on 25 years now. I have tried others. Have had an occasional Gucci, Balenciaga and Hermes but have always ended up selling them due to lack of use. I always reach for my LV. So I stick with what I know I will carry.

I never see them (real or fake) where I live but DH works in London so we're there quite a lot and they're everywhere. Doesn't bother me either way.

Hi Emms, Funny I am a bit in the same boat as you but I started with LV. I still love the LVs that I have. I do feel that LV is becoming the new Coach. Everyone has one, especially in LA. I just started looking at Chanel. When I start buying designer I felt Chanel didn't worked for me but recently I started looking at Chanel. Although the classic double flap just isn't me, there are a few that I really love. I don't think I will give up my LVs but then again all but three of them are leather, I only have one mono and two in Damier. Most people that are not really into LV do not realize that the leather ones that I have are LV. Two more points about LV, they have increased production the quality has gone down and the price keeps going up. Although the price keeps going up for Chanel, not sure about the quality or production. I was just in a Chanel boutique and the handbags that I was interested in seemed to be quite limited.

Reactions: Libaya1
I too branched out of LV but kept on coming back. For the price, LV seems to be the most reasonable. I have a few H pieces and my husband thinks that it's way overpriced. He said no bag is worth 7-10K, even 3K---the reason why I will never buy a bag more than 3k anymore except some Chanels hovering around that price. The appeal of a very expensive bag does fade over time and at the end of the day, it is just a bag. I am very careful now with the bags that I buy and only buy one bag a year so it better be worth it. I don't mind either if there are a lot of people with the same bag. Good for them. :smile:

I notice a reccuring concern in these types of threads: the prevalence of Louis Vuitton bags on the street. Somehow this is negative. But people don't seem so concerned that everyone drives a Mercedes, works on a MacBook, and runs in Nike sneakers.

The handbag market appears trapped in a strange dichotomy: buyers want something classic (that will signal their impeccable fashion taste to the world) yet rare (because I want you to know what bag I carry but I don't want you to carry the same bag).

LV still has a place in my wardrobe between my latest purchase the capucine MM and the previous mahina XL in sandy was almost five years. I will always go back to LV. I too have chanel and one Hermes the evelyene gm. Every back has it's place. If you love LV, you should carry it even of you feel too many others have it and at least you know it's authentic. They have some statement pieces maybe you should go for one of those.

I've not been collecting LV for very long, so I'm really not bored of it at all... There are still many lovely pieces catching my attention. Like you though I used to be very in to Mulberry, I've been through many, many Mulberry bags (over about 6 or 7 years), but most I've sold now and I only have two left at this point (they are definitely keepers). I started buying LV (about 8-9 months ago) because I just don't like M's new designs and on the only remaining styles they've changed the hardware which I don't like... I was at one point thinking of getting one, but then I realised I was only going to because it was Mulberry and I actually wasn't really excited about owning or carrying one.

I think LV will hold me for a fair while, I love looking at the beautiful bags/accessories on the website choosing my next treat, and I think their designs look elegant and original. Plus LV seems so light weight and care free in the rain after being used to Mulberry for so long! Lol It is a bit frustrating though that unlike M there's no LV stores near me to look irl. It is in a big way nice that LV just sell at the price they want for items without playing the sales/get a bargain game with different ppl ending up paying different prices for the same thing. I mean even if LV did have sales the prices would just be higher to start with anyway to make up for it, so it's great just being able to buy whenever it suits me, without feeling compelled to wait n see what sale prices are like.

Reactions: tinks14
Great thread! I appreciate all the different thoughts. I've been a Louis girl since the 80's. I have recently discovered Hermes and am really liking it too - esp. the plain leather bags because it is a subtle luxury brand.

Reactions: emms2381
  • Taste changes. That's normal.
  • Once you own something, it loses part of its appeal. It never feels as special as when you didn't have it. That's why the new item in the window always looks so attractive!
  • Lastly, after working for LV, I stopped buying their products (overdose) and branched out to Gucci, Hermès (only one bag!), and Bottega Veneta (among others). A few years later, I came back to Louis Vuitton.
Great points ..

X

I notice a reccuring concern in these types of threads: the prevalence of Louis Vuitton bags on the street. Somehow this is negative. But people don't seem so concerned that everyone drives a Mercedes, works on a MacBook, and runs in Nike sneakers.

The handbag market appears trapped in a strange dichotomy: buyers want something classic (that will signal their impeccable fashion taste to the world) yet rare (because I want you to know what bag I carry but I don't want you to carry the same bag).

I don't have that problem Fab because I don't "do" the Speedy! :biggrin: I'm an old timer so have the older designs which you rarely see anyone else carrying. Don't like my bag as you walk past me on the street? I really couldn't care any less if I tried. I don't know you and will never see you again. (and if you're carrying a Speedy, I don't like your bag either!) :P