Moving kelly handles

Polypocket

Aug 29, 2020
Hi i have a question and hoping someone could help me. I've never touched a brand new kelly in my life and I have a vintage and preloved kelly and on both, the handles are able to move freely on the ring. Is this normal? Can a brand new kelly handle move easily on the ring or does this come with age?
Please let me know thank you!!!!

It comes with age. Out of the box, it’s usually very tight. But, depending on the load inside your bag and how you carry it, even new ones can tilt to one side of the ring. It takes more effort to bring it back to center on newer Kelly’s.:smile:

It comes with age. Out of the box, it’s usually very tight. But, depending on the load inside your bag and how you carry it, even new ones can tilt to one side of the ring. It takes more effort to bring it back to center on newer Kelly’s.:smile:
Oh thank you!! How does the handle become loose with age ? Does it expand? How do you prevent the handle from becoming more loose? is it a problem having a loose handle ?

Oh thank you!! How does the handle become loose with age ? Does it expand? How do you prevent the handle from becoming more loose? is it a problem having a loose handle ?

I think it does not expand nor does it get lose. It probably just molds to the D rings with use. It’s a perfectly normal wear for the Kelly. Although, I’ve seen 50s and 60s vintage Kelly’s that have cracked handles on the D ring hole so it may also be due to age/handling/weight

Reactions: Polypocket
Definitely comes with age and wear. I also find that kelly handles tend to move more freely with my 40 and 35 Kellies. These tend to be my workhorse bags and I always have a tendency to carry a ton of things in my bag so I think the weight in your bag also plays a key factor.

Reactions: Polypocket