Moving After Graduation...

angellisa

O.G.
Jun 29, 2007
Hey everyone,

I'd just like to get some different opinions/perspectives if you don't mind. :smile:

I'm graduating from college in May from San Francisco, and I really want to move to a brand new city after. My parents are supportive, but I just have to find out where I want to go! Some cities I am thinking of are Chicago, Boston, D.C, Seattle, maybe L.A., Austin..or anywhere else you may think is a good place for a 22 year old just starting over.

I will have a BA in Political Science- no, not the best of degrees, but I originally majored in it w/ plans to attend law school right after. I took the LSAT and didn't do so well, so I've decided to take a year off and work and try out a new city.

Any ideas? I am really open to anything! ;)

I lived in Austin for 20 years and loved it! It is a college town and the capital, so very politcal. Lots of live music venues, restaurants, etc. Beautiful city and area. The cost of living is probably better, too, than your other choices.
Good luck!!

I live in Boston, and I moved here when I was 22 as well. It's a great place to live, you get all of the perks of a major city yet it's not super urban.

That said, I don't think it's a good place to come if you're that young and not connected to a university. It seems like everyone is getting an MBA or in law school and those programs are very cliquey and they do so much socialization with each other that they don't socialize with the "outside" world. I just find it's really hard to make friends here just out of the blue. Of course this can be countered if you work for a really big company and can make work friends, as it seems like people I know that have these jobs are constantly having drink nights and dinner nights with all their co-workers.

I went to undergrad at U of Maryland in May (outside DC) and now I'm at Pitt law and planning on moving back to DC when I graduate. I would definately recommend DC as a city, it's full of young professionals and overall great place. However, it is VERY VERY expensive place to live so just keep that in mind and goodluck!

you might want to consider Atlanta - it's a very young city as far as age of the average resident, and it's also singles-friendly. it's not a college town per se (although Emory, Georgia State and Georgia Tech, as well as a lot of wonderful HBCs like Morehouse, Spelman, and CAU are located in the city), so it's easy to meet people even if you're not affiliated with a college. A lot of fresh grads move to the city every year because the job market is good (particularly in professional industries - Atlanta is NOT an industrial place) and cost of living is relatively low compared to the other American cities that offer the same sorts of culture, nightlife, and social opportunities. plus, the weather is beautiful (it was in the upper 60s here today - not too shabby for the week of Thanksgiving).

i grew up in Atlanta, it really is a great place for new grads and people in their 20s. I'll probably move there when i graduate in may. I'm also considering Austin and possibly Chicago or Denver.

My daughter told me today that after grad. high school she plans to move and go to school in Austin!!:crybaby: Although I would rather her stay near me I know she loves it up there and she does have a lot of Fam. in Austin so I know she won't be all alone. Austin is beautiful, great atmosphere, and the night life is great.:woot: Great for meeting people your age because Austin is a College town. Great food, and Music! My daughter visits Austin every summer and she never wants to come home!:crybaby:

Definitely DC. Especially with that degree in Political Science! There are soooooo many opportunities in DC for those with a future career path such as yours than any other city. Someone I know currently goes to UVA working to finish his degree in political science then he's going to law school afterwards, and in the meantime, he's been interning with a state representative in the house of reps. and it's been a great experience for him, especially while gaining some experience in a future career as a lawyer. And that's just ONE of the many opportunities you can do, and they would all look great on a résumé. Plus, DC is a great city geographically, you are an hour's drive from mountains, a couple hour's drive from the ocean, and you have all the major cities on the east coast(Philly, NYC, Atlantic City, Baltimore, etc.) I used to live in DC, and I loved it there! There is always something to do, and the possibilities are endless. One downside is that it is rather expensive to live there, but a suburb of DC is just as great! Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Yes, I agree with the District as a good place to start out. You probably will have more opportunity there with your degree. Have you considered calling maybe Nancy ******'s office or one of the California reps in the Bay Area for an internship? That might be good for you. They have very interesting shopping and endless FREE/inexpensive stuff to do (ie Smithsonian and monuments) that you just can't all do in a vacation. Downside is that it is expensive (altho you live in one of the most expensive places in the US...did you live with your parents? Might be a shock if you haven't paid rent before), and if you're a homegrown California girl like me, the weather freaks you out the first time (too hot, then too cold!!!), and then the culture is different from SF, REALLY DIFFERENT. I'm from SF and I was uncomfortable living in Virginia for at least a month. But you seem very ambitious and very independent...you'll probably adjust in a snap! Good luck!

I graduated from school in California as well and moved out to Chicago.

Here's the best advice I can give you: JUST DO IT. There's nothing to think about, nothing to noodle over, etc. If you end up weighing the pros and cons of moving, not moving, this city, that city, you will never end up doing anything. A city is what you MAKE of it: so if you choose a decent sized city (and you sound like you have some excellent ideas, and although I'm biased, I highly recommend Chicago -- I went to school and grew up near the Bay Area, by the way), you will be just fine.

I quite literally just packed up my cat one day and headed to Chicago. That was it. I crashed on someone's couch for a week and found an apartment, and within a month found my first job. I STILL have friends who are in their college towns overthinking decisions. Moving to Chicago was really exciting, scary, fun and worthwhile.

I highly suggest you just pick a place and move there. All that's needed are a few boxes to stuff your clothes in and some money scraped together for the first month's rent. Life is really an adventure (I'm so corny, sorry) and I'm really excited for you to embark on a journey to a new place.

And from a native Californian to another, you are in for a surprise!!

Good luck! Let me know any time if you want advice about Chicago!

All those cities sound like great prospects. I have to agree with IntlSet, if you really want to make the move, go for it! I'm from SoCal, and I've lived in SF, and am currently in Las Vegas. The cost of living can be high in LA, so be prepared if you don't find a job right away, and have some extra money saved up.
Good luck!

I agree about DC! It's a great city for young professionals, with lots of private sector as well as government jobs. I think it's really unique because it's SO international. I was there over the weekend and I seriously never sat next to English-speaking people. I think the cost of living might might also be lower than Boston or NYC... ?

If you're still thinking about law school, there are many great law schools in the area, which can save you the trouble of moving again later. Not to mention a Ton of law firms... if you're thinking about doing paralegal or something in the mean time.

Well my parents always tell me that I'm young and don't have any "burden" (meaning kids) after graduation so I might as well move around, try out new things, as much as I want to! I think they're right.

Putting that aside, I go to school in Ithaca! It's cold, hilly, not to mention the mall only has a Bonton and a Target (don't ask lol)!!! If it weren't for the school I wouldn't be here! lol...(I love everything else though)...A lot of students here feel the same so you bet I'm moving!