Move over Bayswater make way for Del Rey

Geddes

O.G.
Nov 2, 2010
I have been having a chat with myself about my Bayswater. Some may know i dont love it, never really did but had to have it. I have used it twice recently and it just annoys me. Recently the Del Rey has caught my eye (it never i did before) and i am begining to like it.
The size of both is good.
The handles of the Bayswater are of no use to me. Too long to hold by hand, crook of arm and not long enough for shoulder over a coat.
The Postman lock taping annoys me if the bag isnt full.
Its quite heavy.

The Del Rey is now visually better looking to me than the Baywater. Dare i say the Bayswater is begining to look a bit dated ?
How does the weight compare ?
Handles are shorter so better for me just to hold.

I have never really got it quite right with a black bag i can grab and go and this to me could fit the bill. The ideal shape and size was my LV Speedy 30 but couldnt handle how many i saw about and i am begining to find the LV logo embarasing to carry (apart from my small pouche ? something or other) and they discontinued the black epi or i would go for that one. I am also not really a *bag lady*. My bags now have to have a use as i cant really afford to have a few thousand pounds worth of bags sitting in dust bags so i am having a re think of the few i have. I culled all the LV but one and only have seven Mulberry bags and one Tods left. Still to many as i dont go to work everyday and dont carry a bag when i am at home out and about.

Do you think the Del Rey a good alternative to Bayswater ?. Could i have your thoughts on this before i go ahead and have a cull or should this just be my 50th birthday gift !!

Personally I think that bayswater is an iconic style and don't consider it dated - it's stood the test of time for me and is always my first thought when I think of mulberry.

The Del ray is still a newish bag and although I am starting to warm to the style I don't see it as a comparison to the bays really. I may be lucky but I can fit my bays over my shoulder so perhaps I'm bias.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Hi
I don't think Bays is dated at all (I don't own one as they don't work for me, but love the little sis SBS)

But I do sympathise trying to find the "perfect " bag..... having tried many, I have found I much prefer x body styles, although have just ventured into the Bal world and love the Day hobo.

Anyway, I'm a great believer that at these prices you should love all your bags and use them, not just store them to look at...with the exception of special occasion bags.

You should go with your heart, if you think Del Rey will work better for you then go for it. Perhaps you should hold off selling anything for a few months to see what you don't use/don't love, so that you don't have sellers regret? I know I have 1 or 2 too many bags but am going to wait a while before rushing to sell ....see what I gravitate to using.

I don't think the bays is dated, its a definite classic icon. I don't think it'll ever go out of style.

I loved my oak one, but it just overpowered me size wise, so I moved it on.

I like the del rey too, but I actually think its more likely to look dated in a couple of years than the bays ever will.

Bays is definitely not dated. Also they look better with age, can't beat a bays with a great patina.

Del Rey on the other hand... Not keen at all and have seen some really battered looking ones for a bag that's not long out so can't be that old. Can't remember the name of the 'sleb that had the really trashed Del Rey - it's on the celeb photo thread somewhere.

I have been having a chat with myself about my Bayswater. Some may know i dont love it, never really did but had to have it. I have used it twice recently and it just annoys me. Recently the Del Rey has caught my eye (it never i did before) and i am begining to like it.
The handles of the Bayswater are of no use to me. Too long to hold by hand, crook of arm and not long enough for shoulder over a coat.
Its quite heavy.

The Del Rey is now visually better looking to me than the Baywater. Dare i say the Bayswater is begining to look a bit dated ?

I have never really got it quite right with a black bag i can grab and go and this to me could fit the bill. The ideal shape and size was my LV Speedy 30 but couldnt handle how many i saw about and i am begining to find the LV logo embarasing to carry (apart from my small pouche ? something or other) and they discontinued the black epi or i would go for that one. I am also not really a *bag lady*. My bags now have to have a use as i cant really afford to have a few thousand pounds worth of bags sitting in dust bags so i am having a re think of the few i have. I culled all the LV but one and only have seven Mulberry bags and one Tods left. Still to many as i dont go to work everyday and dont carry a bag when i am at home out and about.

Do you think the Del Rey a good alternative to Bayswater ?. Could i have your thoughts on this before i go ahead and have a cull or should this just be my 50th birthday gift !!
I never liked the bays to begin with either it has grown on me i have two at present plum which i love and the olive tooled.
Size wise it is a little bit big for me too but certainly not outdated no it is a classic icon from Mulberry and what made them imo.

Im liking the mini del rey in slate but not the standard size.
I would keep the bays over the standard or mini del rey personally
If u could get to see it irl hold it that would help i think.
It is hard to find the perfect bag you will know when you see it.
If you like the del rey then go for it,
It may be the perfect bag for you.
Wait and see as you may see something that takes your fancy maybe another tote of some sort.

I may go off the mini del rey as it wasnt instant buy for me i bought the heritage conker sbs and alma bb instead.

Its quite heavy.

I love the Bayswater style. I am even planning on adding an 8th!! It is a classic bag and will look good for many more years and probably outlast the new Suffolk or Bayswater shoulder. However if you hate the bag style then you hate it. It seems like it just isn't for you. And you seem not to mind hand held as you loved the speedy 30. The regular Del Rey in last season's leather was floppier than the canvas speedy. It just flops over if there is nothing in it. So be aware of that. The black del Rey is lovely and professional looking. And the black with nickel is gorgeous. Maybe the grainy print leather will hold its shape better.

So if the Bays is not for you then replace it with a bag you will love and use. As you say there is no point in having an expensive bag just sitting in your wardrobe looking pretty!! I get a lot of enjoyment from my Bayswater bags :smile:

I love bays and always will del ray is too wide and gets out of shape too easily,for me it seems to be the new alexa as the new bags look like hybrids of,it but not for me,and certainly not a classic in my books

I am a relatively recent Bays convert and imho it is has the best of everything. Like Sammiantha, I am also fortunate that I can carry easily over shoulder (an absolute pre-requisite for me with any potential bag purchase) and it is also a classic, is a fantastic size, very comfortable to carry and really will not date - and gets better with age to boot. You can keep the Del Ray as far as I'm concerned; I don't think it will run the test of time in the same way the Bayswater has, and will continue, to do!!......:biggrin:

I knew i would face the hit squad as soon as i posted :biggrin:
Straight after i posted i went out and tried the Del Rey and i think its good for me. The shop wasnt in London and If it offered refunds i would have bought it and tried it and spent some time with it at home.
I cant help feeling that the bays looks dated and i dont dispute it is a classic but maybe its just the people i see carrying it. I very rarely see one that i think looks fab. The other day the girl that cooks in her Parisien flat was on tv carring a purple colour one and that made me want her one !.
The celeb with what i think was the trashed looking one was Elizabeth McGovern ? the rest of her didnt look that great either and i think she is beautiful - a real dissapointment that image was.
I think i will use my Bayswater as much as i can until any price increase that may impare my chance of a Del Rey. I will wear a thinner coat so i can try and wear it on my shoulders and do press ups to carry the weight on my size 10 (8 on a good day) frame.
...............plus last night on The Brits i was pleased to see that the bags namesake wasnt as weird as i first thought she was:nuts:

Thank you all..............

Straight after i posted i went out and tried the Del Rey and i think its good for me. The shop wasnt in London and If it offered refunds i would have bought it and tried it and spent some time with it at home.
I cant help feeling that the bays looks dated and i dont dispute it is a classic but maybe its just the people i see carrying it. I very rarely see one that i think looks fab. The other day the girl that cooks in her Parisien flat was on tv carring a purple colour one and that made me want her one !.
The celeb with what i think was the trashed looking one was Elizabeth McGovern ? the rest of her didnt look that great either and i think she is beautiful - a real dissapointment that image was.
I think i will use my Bayswater as much as i can until any price increase that may impare my chance of a Del Rey. I will wear a thinner coat so i can try and wear it on my shoulders and do press ups to carry the weight on my size 10 (8 on a good day) frame.
...............plus last night on The Brits i was pleased to see that the bags namesake wasnt as weird as i first thought she was:nuts:

Hi Geddes - each to their own, of course, it would be very boring if we all only liked one bag!

However, the Bayswater is a Mulberry icon and is reinvented each season (alongside the core colours of oak/choc/black) in many different colours and leathers as it's classic structured shape very much lends itself to this. Therefore, the same bag looks so different in a plain colour as opposed to a pattern.

Perhaps the Del Rey will stand the test of time as well as the Bayswater does.

:smile:

Hi Geddes - each to their own, of course, it would be very boring if we all only liked one bag!

However, the Bayswater is a Mulberry icon and is reinvented each season (alongside the core colours of oak/choc/black) in many different colours and leathers as it's classic structured shape very much lends itself to this. Therefore, the same bag looks so different in a plain colour as opposed to a pattern.

Perhaps the Del Rey will stand the test of time as well as the Bayswater does.

:smile:

I agree!! I am using my lovely eggplant Bays tomorrow.

Each to their own, hun and if something's not working for you, it's not working for you - you can't force yourself to love something and at these prices, you have to LOVE them to have them! From the AW13 catwalk, I love the structured bags and their look, even if they are hand-held and "granny" bags, as some have called them :P

The Del Rey is still new and still has to stand the test of time before it's called a classic but if it works for you, then that's what matters :smile: I was very tempted by the petrol Del Rey but I would have loved it to be stiffer leather, so I let it pass.

Can I ask which bayswater you have? It may the type of leather that doesn't work for you. My friend had a printed bayswater that drove her mad because of the weight and the handles falling off her shoulder but now she has a different bayswater, which she loves!

Each to their own, hun and if something's not working for you, it's not working for you - you can't force yourself to love something and at these prices, you have to LOVE them to have them! From the AW13 catwalk, I love the structured bags and their look, even if they are hand-held and "granny" bags, as some have called them :P

The Del Rey is still new and still has to stand the test of time before it's called a classic but if it works for you, then that's what matters :smile: I was very tempted by the petrol Del Rey but I would have loved it to be stiffer leather, so I let it pass.

Can I ask which bayswater you have? It may the type of leather that doesn't work for you. My friend had a printed bayswater that drove her mad because of the weight and the handles falling off her shoulder but now she has a different bayswater, which she loves!

I have what i call a bog standard black NVT Bayswater but..............i have been looking for one that is a bit more *squidgy* maybe goats leather or soft spongy in a colour, maybe a purple - ish or possibly red one. A friend of mine got her Bayswater the same time as me in 2010, but she got the one that was £100 more (cant remember what leather is was but it could have been goat) but i always liked hers best because it was softer.
That could be the answer, a different type of leather and colour perhaps ?.

I have what i call a bog standard black NVT Bayswater but..............i have been looking for one that is a bit more *squidgy* maybe goats leather or soft spongy in a colour, maybe a purple - ish or possibly red one. A friend of mine got her Bayswater the same time as me in 2010, but she got the one that was £100 more (cant remember what leather is was but it could have been goat) but i always liked hers best because it was softer.
That could be the answer, a different type of leather and colour perhaps ?.
I think the black nvt is a bit 'severe' and that is probably the reason why you don't get on.

I had I move on my black printed east west and get the black nvt version which I then loved.

There are so many colours and styles in the Bayswaters and I think you should try another one and sell your black nvt.

Also if you decided to sell I think bays would hold its value a bit better than del Rey.

So don't give up on the Bays just yet.
All of mine have different bag personalities!! Haha.