mousselline disaster

Jun 23, 2007
As if by divine intervention (or from the other direction) the first time I wore my midnight poncho it got stained. Anyway, I brought it back to my boutique so they could send it out for cleaning. No problem. Except, there is a problem. The cleaner is afraid to clean it. It is hand beaded with bugle beads.
Have any of you ever had a successful (or non successful) dry cleaning experience with a beaded mousseline shawl?
Thanks
Judy, slob extraordinaire.

Sorry to hear about your scarf.:flowers:I think there should be a club for us slobs!!! I spill way too many things on my H. I hope someone can help you!

Beads can be tricky because with some dry cleaning, they can melt. If there is a specialty dry cleaner in your town/city I would try them. Failing that, depending on the colours, try a cool water wash with something delicate like Zero. Good luck.

Oh dear- I once owned a similar embellished chiffon silk shawl (not Hermes) and on the care tag it stated "Do Not Dry Clean, Do Not Handwash". I was at a loss myself thinking what I would do should it need to be cleaned. I suppose you could ask your own trusted dry cleaner but they may require you sign a document relieving them of liability if damage occurs. Good luck- I hope you let us know the outcome.

Beads can be tricky because with some dry cleaning, they can melt. If there is a specialty dry cleaner in your town/city I would try them. Failing that, depending on the colours, try a cool water wash with something delicate like Zero. Good luck.

It may also be that any kind of handling of the beaded sheer silk will cause runs/tears in the fabric and loosen the bead work. Mine was a gift so I had no say in its purchase- I do love it but it does scare me to wear it or come near food/drink/adult beverages.

Oh dear- I once owned a similar embellished chiffon silk shawl (not Hermes) and on the care tag it stated "Do Not Dry Clean, Do Not Handwash". I was at a loss myself thinking what I would do should it need to be cleaned. I suppose you could ask your own trusted dry cleaner but they may require you sign a document relieving them of liability if damage occurs. Good luck- I hope you let us know the outcome.

I am glad you said it was a gift, because it seems like it should say "Do not dry clean, do not handwash, do not buy or wear."

My local dry cleaner is great with gowns, shawls, scarves, etc. I would look for a high-end cleaner. Maybe one of the ones in NYC?

I am glad you said it was a gift, because it seems like it should say "Do not dry clean, do not handwash, do not buy or wear."

My local dry cleaner is great with gowns, shawls, scarves, etc. I would look for a high-end cleaner. Maybe one of the ones in NYC?

LOL!

I wonder if your local bridal shop may be able to help? They should have worked with beads, crystals .... all the delicate embellishments, and fabric.

Thank you all for all of your help! The shawl is in the hands of a dry cleaner in New York. I brought the garment to my boutique because I knew that they would be able to take care of it. Maybe this particular cleaner specializes in non-embellished silk. I'll be at the boutique tomorrow and try to get it worked out then.
Thanks again. I'll keep you updated!
Judy

If you are in New York, you should try Madame Paulette. They are expensive but worth it. I've sent them items from out of state and they are excellent communicators as well. I'm sorry you had a spill, I know the feeling!

If you are in New York, you should try Madame Paulette. They are expensive but worth it. I've sent them items from out of state and they are excellent communicators as well. I'm sorry you had a spill, I know the feeling!

That was the name I was trying to think of. Mme Paulette.

I definitely second dharma's suggestion - Madame Paulette is the best with fabulous customer service, as well. They actually removed Sharpie permanent marker from a friend's Hermes scarf and are renowned for working with high end and fragile vintage fabrics too. I'm sure they could handle it