mould stain

vivelasieste

May 26, 2020
Hello,

I just finished my move and while unpacking my stuff, I noticed a mold stain on my favorite bag. :sad:

Does anyone have a solution for mold on leather, please? Plus it doesn't smell good.

I'd be really bummed if I had to part with that bag.

Thank you in advance to my future savior :loveeyes:

There are a number of methods. I personally prefer the vinegar/water method.
https://www.wikihow.life/Clean-Mold-from-Leather
As far as odour goes, The smell might be coming from the lining of the bag. You can use the vinegar/water solution on fabric also. Make sure to test for colour fastness. Do cleaning outside to avoid spreading the mold spores. Airing the item in sunlight for a while helps. Unfortunately if the mold has been there for a while you might never get rid of the odour.
Good luck!

As far as odour goes, The smell might be coming from the lining of the bag. You can use the vinegar/water solution on fabric also. Make sure to test for colour fastness. Do cleaning outside to avoid spreading the mold spores. Airing the item in sunlight for a while helps. Unfortunately if the mold has been there for a while you might never get rid of the odour.
Good luck!

Is three weeks (from the time I moved to the time I opened the bag box) still playable in your opinion?

I hope so, I'll give it a try and I'll tell you if you helped me to save my bag

Hard to say about time elapsed. Some molds are very tenacious, and some leathers are porous. Be sure to dispose of all packing materials, vacuum thoroughly, air out your closet space. I live for part of the year in a tropical environment, and keeping ahead of mold feels like a full-time job sometimes.
Hope it all works out for you.

You might want to get a small ozone emitter to sanitize the area where you store your clothes and bags. Mold can destroy your whole closet in just a couple of days.
Ozone emitter will kill those spores even if they are deep in leather. Some mold will stain items permanently as it grows too.
Plus all your things will have no odors and it's good for your home, car and stanky emergencies

After this little misadventure, I had a little reflection and before putting it into practice, I wanted to ask your opinion.
I created my shopping guide site and I had in mind to propose a new article on the solutions of mould and odour on bags and other leather objects. Would it be an article that would interest you personally (with links to products or homemade solutions for example)?

I was so disappointed when I opened the box from the mail order thrift store and got a whiff of the strong odor of mildew. I searched online and found a recommendation for wiping it down with vinegar, inside and out, followed by sealing it in a large zip-lock storage bag with sodium bicarbonate, which I put in small bowls in with the purse. I changed the sodium bicarb every two days or so for two weeks. The odor is very faint. essentially gone. The bag still needs some leather conditioning before I use it.

Have you tried it?

What kind of brush do you you to brush the mold off and how do you disinfect it after?

Also what kind of vinegar do you use?

Good luck!

You use white vinegar, and a soft brush. A new clean, soft bristle toothbrush works if the area is not too large. You throw out the brush after to avoid contamination, or if you must keep the brush, disinfect with chlorine bleach. Good luck!

Thanks!!! Only problem now is Sun.... i’m in singapore and it has been raining nonstop!!!!

You use white vinegar, and a soft brush. A new clean, soft bristle toothbrush works if the area is not too large. You throw out the brush after to avoid contamination, or if you must keep the brush, disinfect with chlorine bleach. Good luck!