Mother's Day is on Sunday

Roo

O.G.
Apr 28, 2006
Don't forget that Mother's Day is on Sunday! :flowers:

I am going to get on my soapbox for a moment and remind you all to remember Mom on her special day. But also remember there are lots of different kinds of Moms in the world... so remember them too. Stepmoms, surrogate Moms, you name it. They all fill a special role.

As a stepmom of two girls I love a lot, I'd also like to ask a special favor that you wish any stepmoms you know a happy mother's day. We are often forgotten.

In a perfect world, there wouldn't be stepparents. Stepfamilies are born from pain and loss, whether it is the loss of a spouse or the pain of a divorce. I realize that remarriage can be a joyous thing, but the cold fact is that stepmothers are a necessary evil. We are the result of broken families and hurt. With the divorce rate climbing, more and more women are finding themselves in this role, and it's not easy.

I can understand how people could see us as interlopers. I can see how people might put us down. But what they don't know is how many of us as stepmothers try to help pick up the pieces. We take a situation that is broken and try to bring love and joy back to it. Sometimes we succeed and sometimes we fail. I love my stepdaughters and they are two of my best friends. I am glad I can be a positive influence in their lives.

Society does a real injustice by not treating its stepmothers well. Many of us face adversity and pain and sorrow and rejection to give the ones we love another chance at family.

I hope you all have a great Mother's Day!! :flowers:

Just want to say,

mothersdaycabinet.jpg

I hope you have a great day!!

My current step-mom didn't come into my life until I was in my 30's, but I've become a big fan of hers. She keeps my dad grounded, and keeps the family connected (including me and his stepkids from a previous marriage). Yes, I've remembered her for Mothers' Day!