Mother of Ridiculous Prices

Jan 31, 2009
Hello everyone,

Am I the only one who believes their recent price increases are completely bonkers? :wtf:

Let me give you some examples..

I bought this Nylon Briefcase six years ago for € 890.
They are now selling it for € 1.380.
That's a 55 percent increase. This correspond to an increase of 9 percent every year. This is insane. :mad:

Nylon Briefcase.png

Ten years ago I purchased this beautifully decorated Fabric Messenger for € 470.
They are now selling the basic Nylon and Saffiano Leather Bag with Strap for € 850.
We can safely assume that the price has more than doubled. That's an increase of 10 percent every year. :mad:

s-l1600.jpg
Fabric Messenger.png

And what were they on when they came up with the price for this Nylon Mini Pouch?
You have it for only € 490.
That's more than for a handbag from past collections. :mad:

Nylon Mini Pouch.png

Strangely enough, our salaries have not increased at the same rate. :cursing:
And don't even get me started on the lack of creativity, eye-sore labels, huge drop in quality, decreasing level of client service and "inventive" Made In labels.. :frown:

They should be ashamed of themselves. :tdown:
I'm no longer touching Prada, except maybe second-hand.. :blah:

What do you think?

lack of creativity, eye-sore labels, huge drop in quality, decreasing level of client service and

This applies with varying extents to almost all of the luxury brands unfortunately. Gucci, Balenciaga, etc. I see so many people on social media complain about Chanel's price increases, decline in quality, and poor client service then praise Gucci, Prada etc as if they're any better. Many times the stuff Made in Italy is still questionable quality, including other brands.

Unfortunately none of this is going to change until most luxury shoppers become disillusioned and it affects these brands' bottom line.

Reactions: maris.crane
@Great_Iskander Every reason you cited is why I gave up on new Prada bags. I think the "newest" Prada I have was from the 2012 collection when you could still get nylon bags that were Made in Italy and were still somewhat reasonably priced. The only bags I buy these days are from the secondary market. Sad really. Prada used to make such great bags and, for a designer bag, were reasonably priced.

This applies with varying extents to almost all of the luxury brands unfortunately. Gucci, Balenciaga, etc. I see so many people on social media complain about Chanel's price increases, decline in quality, and poor client service then praise Gucci, Prada etc as if they're any better. Many times the stuff Made in Italy is still questionable quality, including other brands.

Unfortunately none of this is going to change until most luxury shoppers become disillusioned and it affects these brands' bottom line.

You are totally right. :tup:

I used to buy short-sleeved shirts from Burberry. Six years ago, they were priced at € 150. During the sales period, they would be available at half the price. They are now sold for € 370. Very few luxury brands organized sales last year.
Moreover, the quality of the tissue has dropped and the sizing has gone haywire. I can't even find a model that fits properly.

And all luxury brands are invaded by the street-wear look, that I personally find distasteful. What's up with that? :eek:

@Great_Iskander Every reason you cited is why I gave up on new Prada bags. I think the "newest" Prada I have was from the 2012 collection when you could still get nylon bags that were Made in Italy and were still somewhat reasonably priced. The only bags I buy these days are from the secondary market. Sad really. Prada used to make such great bags and, for a designer bag, were reasonably priced.

Thank you for your reply.
Your opinion is highly valued on this forum.

I think it’s crazy considering the fact that Prada is now made in China. Like, the bags literally are labeled made in China. So even accounting for inflation and paying for a brand name, it’s ludicrous. They need to take rod room out of China if they want ppl to still think of them as a luxe brand and charge these prices

And all luxury brands are invaded by the street-wear look, that I personally find distasteful. What's up with that? :eek:

$$$$$$$$
Streetwear/90s-style/etc are what’s trendy among the younger generation. They want to target younger customers and turn them into loyal clients.

All of them held sales last year, even Gucci. For a while, Gucci was so successful they experimented with forgoing sales.

but while all these luxury brands are holding sales, many are experimenting with “private” sales so that it doesn’t dilute the brand. You had to contact an in-store SA to get anywhere. Online client services usually deny any sales going on.

Prada recently implemented a policy of holding “private sales”. Last year during sale season, Nordstrom, NM, Saks all issued links to a Miu Miu and Prada private sale (mostly shoes) through newsletter. And Prada only gave you a private sale link (way better selection) if you were a loyal client with a good spending history.

Hello everyone,

Am I the only one who believes their recent price increases are completely bonkers? :wtf:

Let me give you some examples..

I bought this Nylon Briefcase six years ago for € 890.
They are now selling it for € 1.380.
That's a 55 percent increase. This correspond to an increase of 9 percent every year. This is insane. :mad:

View attachment 5029676

Ten years ago I purchased this beautifully decorated Fabric Messenger for € 470.
They are now selling the basic Nylon and Saffiano Leather Bag with Strap for € 850.
We can safely assume that the price has more than doubled. That's an increase of 10 percent every year. :mad:

s-l1600.jpg
View attachment 5029679

And what were they on when they came up with the price for this Nylon Mini Pouch?
You have it for only € 490.
That's more than for a handbag from past collections. :mad:

View attachment 5029681

Strangely enough, our salaries have not increased at the same rate. :cursing:
And don't even get me started on the lack of creativity, eye-sore labels, huge drop in quality, decreasing level of client service and "inventive" Made In labels.. :frown:

They should be ashamed of themselves. :tdown:
I'm no longer touching Prada, except maybe second-hand.. :blah:

What do you think?
I was recently interested in getting a Prada bag, and I haven't purchased full price from their boutique for a while so I browsed their website first to see. I was shocked at the prices! I have purchased a lot of Dior Men in the past year, and it was shocking to see Prada's prices being quite close to Dior Men for comparable items. This puts them in a similar price range with LV men, too.