Mother-in-Law gift dilemma!

Be thankful that your MIL thought enough of you to get you something so special. I have always gotten along well with my in-laws, but for some reason, we received absolutely nothing from them this Christmas, even though we spent more then double our normal budget on them. Go figure.

Wear it when you know she'll be there. Knowing that she thinks handbags are a frivolous expense.. and she went and bought you a pretty decently priced one... it's kind of endearing that she'd go against her beliefs and buy you something in hopes you'd like it!

Have you told your Husband how you feel about his mother's gift to you?

I hate the signature stuff too (and I like Coach a lot), but she is trying really hard to make an effort. I would wear it when you're around her, because she will probably feel really good about that fact that she got you the bag. I wish my MIL tried so hard!

Your Mother-in-Law's feelings are far more important than what bag you carry.

Carry the bag around her and be proud you have a relative who thinks of you in such a way. She tried to please you. Those into bags know it is extremely hard to pick a bag for someone else, almost impossible. Those NOT into bag are unaware of this issue. She tried and love her for that. There is no need to tell anyone, not even your husband, that you do not like the bag. It's just a bag.

Family is what makes this world go around. A bag will not take care of you when you are sick, support you in times of need and love you for your contribution to the family.

Carry that bag for what it represents....family love.

This is exactly why I tell people my feelings won't be hurt if they return or exchange anything I give them; I don't want them keeping things they don't care for. And I am a MIL to my sons' wives.

That being said, she really made an effort to please you and it would be great for the sake of your relationship if you can use it around her. No one expects you to keep it forever, but I think it's worth it to show her you appreciate that she tried to please you. You will be repaid many times over if the two of you can be more comfortable with each other.

That's a really thoughtful gift, and I certainly know how hard it is to figure out gifts that people will love, but......
I'd go for #1. Ebay it after a few sightings and find some way to mention how much you have learned to appreciate different all of the different beautiful leather bags that are out there. Hopefully she'll catch on!

I vote for option #3. Even if you don't carry the bag except in her presence, it can serve as a reminder of her effort to choose something you love. The relationship is worth more than the bag.

Thanks for all the advice ladies, and I think you're all right!
She did go out of her way to choose something she thought I'd like, and she was very excited to give it to me.
I've decided I'll definitely keep it, and maybe just wear it when she's going to be around, because I certainly do appreciate the thought. :heart:

Thanks again!

I vote for #1. I don't think she will be happy you change her gift to another style. Since you don't quite like Coach anymore, there is no need to create another unhappy incident with your mother-in-law.

I'm all for option one. Leave it out around the house when she comes over, and carry it if you'll be seeing her, at least for a while to show that you care about her and appreciate her gift. Then do what you want with it.

i say just use the bag considering you mentioned how relations were already strained and that she doesn't understand expensive bags. when people like something, they spend a lot of money on it and most of the time, to the people that don't like those items, it is hard to understand. just use it and tell her you love it.

I would exchange it for one you like. Tell her it had a loose stitch or something else faulty and the same one was sold out or you were afraid it was a defect in that style...
I think you'll both be happy that way :biggrin: