Most you'd spend on a Hermes...

When I bought my first Hermes bag 20 years ago, I could absolutely not afford it. It was so much above any of my spending limit, but I crossed the line.
20 years later, I can tell I never regretted this then outrageous expense. I have got back any penny I put in that bag, and above all, I have saved so much on all those other bags I never bought any longer...
I guess everybody has their own limits, but aren't limits meant to be crossed sometimes?

Great reply, perlerare! For me it would be a non- exotic B. I have yet to bust my budget limit for a bag but if I ever did, I think the B or K would tempt me to go over the edge. I'm afraid that once I cross the line, there's no going back though! Seems that way when I read all the H threads :smile:

I don't think I can justify the expense of an exotic. They're just too precious for my lifestyle. Rain, spills and the normal chaos of everyday life would keep me from using the bag. I don't buy Hermes to sit in a closet.

When I bought my Barenia birkin last year, I was given the choice of the 35 fauve barenia and an 30 marron fonce ostrich birkin with gold hardware. The ostrich was 50% more than the barenia.

The barenia is so much more my lifestyle. And if I'm going to spend close to $20K (or more) on an item, it needs be made of gold, platinum and perhaps some precious stones in it. Or I need to be able to drive it.

It's all a matter of perspective.

I don't see myself spending the money for an exotic. I would love to have one, but a croc is definitely my tipping point. (a tri-colored ostrich kelly 35, like one of our early members has, I would go for at the drop of a hat)

When I bought my first Hermes bag 20 years ago, I could absolutely not afford it. It was so much above any of my spending limit, but I crossed the line.
20 years later, I can tell I never regretted this then outrageous expense. I have got back any penny I put in that bag, and above all, I have saved so much on all those other bags I never bought any longer...
I guess everybody has their own limits, but aren't limits meant to be crossed sometimes?
This really put things in perspective. Thank you for sharing that. I think an Hermes bag is an investment, but above all it should fit your lifestyle so you can actually use and enjoy it. Then it will be worth all of that money and more.

Call me cheap...but getting a regular B is my limit...did dream having a Croc but with the price and amount of care = not my cup of tea...especially with CAD price lol!!!:sweatdrop:

This really put things in perspective. Thank you for sharing that. I think an Hermes bag is an investment, but above all it should fit your lifestyle so you can actually use and enjoy it. Then it will be worth all of that money and more.

Excatly, that's exactly what I meant. I still have and use this bag often. I have been enjoying it since then and for many years to come. And still, I could sell it any minute for more than CURRENT retail ! But I won't because there is a love story going on here. (yes ..it was a very special bag)

Great reply, perlerare! For me it would be a non- exotic B. I have yet to bust my budget limit for a bag but if I ever did, I think the B or K would tempt me to go over the edge. I'm afraid that once I cross the line, there's no going back though! Seems that way when I read all the H threads :smile:

Absolutely !
You cross that limit, and then you put a further one ahead....and after awhile you cross that one ...and so on ;)

I agree with a few of the others that a leather Birkin or Kelly is my limit. I have 2 Togo leather Birkins and hope to add a 35cm leather Kelly this year. Once acquired, that will be it for me and bags. That price point is as high as I will go and I am more than happy with that. :smile:

MarvelGirl said:
I agree with a few of the others that a leather Birkin or Kelly is my limit. I have 2 Togo leather Birkins and hope to add a 35cm leather Kelly this year. Once acquired, that will be it for me and bags. That price point is as high as I will go and I am more than happy with that. :smile:

I agree with this. After acquiring 2 leather Birkins in 2012, I want a leather Kelly to complete my H bag collection.
I hope I don' t have to wait too long.

My limit is the exotic leather. I never thought I would own one. But my DH surprised me with a Croc Kelly last year. I love it so much. But I wouldn't buy it for myself as I think it's quite expensive.

I love this answer perlerare. I bought my first Birkin 2 years ago and could absolutely not afford it. I love "Ruby" so much.

For me, my limit is a non-exotic Birkin. I have three now and would like a Kelly. Then I am through.

Hmmmm.....well several years ago I would've never forked out the $$$ for a Birkin but I have....perspectives change but as of right now my limit would be for a non-exotic B. I don't care for the exotics RIGHT NOW but that could change in the future as I get a bit older.