Most Versatile Color

phillj12

O.G.
Nov 28, 2008
I'd like to buy my first pair of CLs and I've read a lot of threads on here and I don't think I'm repeating something, but if I am, I apologize!

I don't dress up very often as I'm a stay-at-home mom (to 3 kids under 6years old). I usually wear heels for going out on the weekends. I probably wear my black heels 2x/month (with skinny jeans for going out or dresses for occasions). Anyhow, when I have dressy (non-black tie) I usually wear black or grey dresses, occasionally spice it up with some color.

Anyhow, I've noticed that I've been wearing the same black pumps for years because they are comfortable and they look good. I can't buy a closet full of CLs so need to start off with one pair since I tend to stick to my favorite things.

So...not sure which of these I should buy...
-Black leather
-Black patent
-Nude patent

I never know with black patent if it's something you can wear all year round and for dressy or more casual, but I love it! I also love Nude Patent, but not sure if that's as versatile, or maybe more versatile?? Is it only for summer? Is it okay with dark skinny jeans? Sorry for my ignorance! Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Anyhow, many thanks!

It seems that you are looking for something more casual since you are not working? I'd say black leather as working everyday but for weekends, hmm, I'd get something slightly more fun but still versatile - how about navy patent or English green suede? Personally id go for ones with more colors such as peacock, emerald or even hot pink. But it sounds like you want something more understated.

I do think black patent is a bit dressy. I don't wear mine that much on weekends more to company events non black tie. But it's just me. Ladies here rock black patent everywhere.

I love nude patent but being in a cold- weathered place I don't wear them as much either. You should certainly consider it if you are looking for a summer spring shoe. Otherwise you'd feel weird wearing them with heavy coat.

HTH :smile:

for me its a season thing- in the fall/winter black patent is my go to shoe but summer/spring i adore nude patent. if ur dresses are mainly black/grey i would do a color pump that goes all yr- red/purple etc.

I wear black patent shoes all year round! They're the perfect amount of glamour for any outfit.. Jeans, shorts, dresses, skirts.. To a bar (less likely to get ruined and scuffed up there than regular leather), to a cocktail party, to a dinner date.. LOVE the versatility of it and you will too

You all are awesome! I like the idea of a color, but in typically too boring for that! LOL! Will see what kind of selection there is, otherwise will go with black patent!

Also, do you think a small wedge is classic or trendy? I want a pair that will last for many seasons!

:ninja: Nude patent!!!!!! :ninja:

When you find a nude that matches your skin tone, you can wear them with anything!

But since you are leaning towards a black pair - I think you should get them in patent leather. To me, patent just looks better than nappa (because it's shiny). It's tougher and will last longer too.