most durable leather choice for birkin

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. which kind of leather is most durable and scratch resistant etc for a birkin?

2. Probably Togo, Fjord or Clemance.

3. radhika, the answers to all your questions, leathers, styles etc are here in this sub-forum. If you use the "search" function you should be able to find everything you need.

Enjoy the process.

4. Ditto to what Sus said

5. Fjord

6. My vote is Vache Liegee.

7. I got caught in a downpour with my 35 rouge H in veau grain lisse. It got so wet that the surface blistered - and I mean really ugly bubbles! I was distraught, as you can imagine. Fortunately, after drying out completely, there wasn't a single mark left and Rouge remains unblemished! I think VGL is really hardy and great for a bag you'll use often and bash around. It certainly doesn't stain/ mark as easily as my togo, which I feel I have to "baby" more. I know H has stopped producing VGL bags but I would think that a similar sort of embossed leather like epsom would be the way to go.

8. epsom is pretty darn tough

9. I have Togo and it wears pretty well. It can take a little rain here & there.. but I wouldn't test getting it soaked. And while it is scratch resistant, you still have to be careful of sharp objects (like cat claws) :sad:... My Gold Birkin was scratched, but I'm happy to say that it was repaired, so well that you can't even detect where it was...so Togo gets my vote for a sturdy dependable leather.

10. Very interesting thread:smile:

11. I was always lead to believe that Togo would be okay in lightish rain. I mean just a little splash here and there. However, discussions with an SA in Harrods changed my attitudes a little - she basically said all H leathers aren't great in the rain and will mark (yes I know! weird!) that's why each bag comes with a rain coat.

My black togo 30 has been heavily utilised worn rain showers - Eurostar journeys & public transport (eww!) and apart from the predictable hardware scratches - be prepared for these from the day you remove those clear stickies! - is holding up well. The corners are sound - though possibly this is the advantage of being a 30 cm over a 35 cm

Togo and Clemence are typically sold as the more everyday leathers??

12. I just condition my bag and no problems with rain or what ever..and my bag is Vache Naturelle!

13. is fjord prone to scratching?

14. Does anyone own a Chev and how does the Chevre react to rain?

15. I don't think so. I have a 35 Fjord birkin, and I never had any problem with it. It's a tough leather