Morkies!

All Morkies are scheduled to be neutered or spayed.

And the health testing? OFA hips and Elbows, CERF, Thyroid, cardio, ect.

While both breeds are fairly healthy, poorly bred specimens with no health testing are at a MUCH higher risk of developing or passing on hereditary health problems and diseases to their offspring and/or descendents.

Some health concerns with the Yorkshire Terrier breed, especially with poor breeding practices involved, include hypothyroidism, Renal displasia, congenital liver shunts, luxating patella, protein losing entrophy, ect. Also prone to spine, back, dental and digestive problems.

With the Maltese, common concerns are retinal atrophy, respiratory problems, luxating patella, collapsing trachea (can result from a variety of causes, both accidental and hereditary), retained puppy teeth and dental concers, WDSS and liver shunt.

All things that can be passed down to pups from dogs generations back, even if the parents may be fine. And may require surgery or lifelong treatment as a result. Which is why its important to health test breeding specimens and the dogs in their pedigree. To ensure health and longevity in the animals resulting from the breedings. Health testing and careful, responsible and knowledgeable breeding can severly reduce or eliminate the risk of many of these problems.

"Morkies" are prone to all of the health problems of both breeds. Especially since it is highly, highly, HIGHLY unlikely the dogs used to produce them are well bred and from health tested lines. Because the vast majority of responsible breeders will not risk their reputations to produce them or even stud out to a dog of a different breed. Or even place a breeding prospect in a home that might do so.

Last edited:
And the health testing? OFA hips and Elbows, CERF, Thyroid, cardio, ect.

While both breeds are fairly healthy, poorly bred specimens with no health testing are at a MUCH higher risk of developing or passing on hereditary health problems and diseases to their offspring and/or descendents.

Some health concerns with the Yorkshire Terrier breed, especially with poor breeding practices involved, include hypothyroidism, Renal displasia, congenital liver shunts, luxating patella, protein losing entrophy, ect. Also prone to spine, back, dental and digestive problems.

With the Maltese, common concerns are retinal atrophy, respiratory problems, luxating patella, collapsing trachea (can result from a variety of causes, both accidental and hereditary), retained puppy teeth and dental concers, WDSS and liver shunt.

All things that can be passed down to pups from dogs generations back, even if the parents may be fine. And may require surgery or lifelong treatment as a result. Which is why its important to health test breeding specimens and the dogs in their pedigree. To ensure health and longevity in the animals resulting from the breedings. Health testing and careful, responsible and knowledgeable breeding can severly reduce or eliminate the risk of many of these problems.

"Morkies" are prone to all of the health problems of both breeds. Especially since it is highly, highly, HIGHLY unlikely the dogs used to produce them are well bred and from health tested lines. Because the vast majority of responsible breeders will not risk their reputations to produce them or even stud out to a dog of a different breed. Or even place a breeding prospect in a home that might do so.

Of course health testing.... but no matter what is said or done I will still seem like a villian.....oh well.. Trust me, my Morkie will be safe, tested, neutered but most of all LOVED !

Done with this tread because I see it is bringing up negative feelings.....Merry Christmas to all.

Of course health testing.... but no matter what is said or done I will still seem like a villian.....oh well.. Trust me, my Morkie will be safe, tested, neutered but most of all LOVED !

Done with this tread because I see it is bringing up negative feelings.....Merry Christmas to all.

Merry Christmas Kevind, it is your right to purchase whatever dog you want. You are not a villain. Best of luck with your pup.

Really? Thats great. If health testing was done, than I'm much more at ease with it. Which ones? Mind sharing the certification numbers for the health tests done? What were the results?

There is no such thing as a responsible breeder of mixed breeds. They can get all the testing done, all the backgrounds on the parents, etc. Responsible breeders mate their animals to encourage that breed to continue to exist so that a poodle looks like a poodle and a chihuahua looks like a chihuahua and a lab looks like a lab. A hound should be a good hunter, a retriever should retrieve, etc. THAT is what breeding is about. The extra puppies that are not close enough to "perfect" in form are sold as pets. The ones that are closer to perfection are bred to continue the line.

There is no reason to mate two different breeds besides to sell them. There is no way to tell what characteristics the puppies will have so they can't "strive" for anything. All they are doing is adding to the population of animals. So when I say they aren't responsible, I mean in the big picture sense. Not that they aren't personally responsible for their puppies, which they may very well be.

If anyone is looking for a Morkie you can google "Yorkie rescue" or "Maltese rescue" and your state. You may have to take a drive somewhere or even fly, but it's really worth it in the end to save that life. Even if you don't find a Morkie, I'll bet you'll find a doggie to love that needs a home, and then you can just name him or her Morkie! :P

I do believe it is uneccesary to produce mixed breeds, but it is none of my business what people do, if the animals are humanely cared for.

It is not illegal nor immoral to make a living with animals. Many famous successful, Westminster quality breeders breed a different breed mainly as pets to support the huge costs of campaigning a dog or dogs to the levels of Westminster or the World Dog Show in Europe.

I don't understand why selling dogs and cats is such a sacrilege - oh wait - I do - it's the constant yammering of PETA and HSUS, whose goal is to eliminate all animal use.

I too, Kevin will bow out of the thread, probably to some peoples' great relief. And also to let things get back to on-topic.

Last edited:
i do believe it is uneccesary to produce mixed breeds, but it is none of my business what people do, if the animals are humanely cared for.

It is not illegal nor immoral to make a living with animals. Many famous successful, westminster quality breeders breed a different breed mainly as pets to support the huge costs of campaigning a dog or dogs to the levels of westminster or the world dog show in europe.

I don't understand why selling dogs and cats is such a sacrilege - oh wait - i do - it's the constant yammering of peta and hsus, whose goal is to eliminate all animal use.

I too, kevin will bow out of the thread, probably to some peoples' great relief. And also to let things get back to on-topic.

chessmont, have an awesome christmas and may the new year bring you the best of everything........

Signing off,
kevin & my christmas baby morkie :d

I do believe it is uneccesary to produce mixed breeds, but it is none of my business what people do, if the animals are humanely cared for.

It is not illegal nor immoral to make a living with animals. Many famous successful, Westminster quality breeders breed a different breed mainly as pets to support the huge costs of campaigning a dog or dogs to the levels of Westminster or the World Dog Show in Europe.

I don't understand why selling dogs and cats is such a sacrilege - oh wait - I do - it's the constant yammering of PETA and HSUS, whose goal is to eliminate all animal use.

I too, Kevin will bow out of the thread, probably to some peoples' great relief. And also to let things get back to on-topic.

I don't think it's a sacrilege. I think it's irresponsible to the rest of society who has to deal with, and pay for, the animals deserted by their owners. In essense I feel like it's a cheap way to make money because they are making an already overwhelming problem worse.

I do know some people who believe that no animals should be bred, and that ranges from not breeding pets to not breeding animals as food or for any reason period.

While I understand the reasoning behind breeding a working dog to do a specific job, I have to admit that I've wondered what the point is of continuing to breed 50 different breeds of lap dogs just for our personal amusement. At the same time I love my poodle and would hate to see the breed eliminated. But I will never buy another animal from a breeder. Unfortunately there are a huge number of poodles in rescue, and I won't ever have to go to a breeder in my lifetime.

It's a complicated issue, and people are free to make any choice they wish, but if I were making a decision about whether to buy or adopt an animal I'd appreciate hearing from the different sides.

I have a Morkie puppy that is about 4 months old. Morkies tend to be a very well-tempered dog. They do tend to be very energetic, as you will need to have a lot of patience and energy yourself to keep up with them..lol. They like to chew on anything and everything in sight, so if you do decide to get a Morkie, make sure you get lots of toys! (preferably small ones, since bigger ones can't fit in their mouth as easily). Morkies like to cuddle and be held by their owners when going places, but they should be held by other people to socialize. They also like to sleep with their owners at night, so be careful with higher-raised beds! They don't like to be left alone at home, so also make sure you have lots of time with them!
They are a very good choice of breed. GOOD LUCK! :smile:

Obviously if nobody buys pets from local pet stores, they're going to be killed too.. and i don't think it's anyones business whether or not someone does breed two dogs of a different breed...they're their own pets and they have the right to do with that pet what they will as long as it isn't of any harm to the pet.

I do agree with the fact that it is unnecessary to produce as many dogs as people do because it's causing great harm to the society and especially the pet. However, it's kind of a controversy today because if everyone got their pets fixed, and only left the breeding to professional breeders, then they could charge whatever they wanted for the pets. After that happens, then nobody would want to buy them..so then we're back at square 1.

Sorry to bring this up again, but I needed to add some clarification: HSUS does not have any goal to eliminate all animal use. From their website, "The HSUS seeks a humane and sustainable world for all animals—a world that will also benefit people. We are America's mainstream force against cruelty, exploitation and neglect, as well as the most trusted voice extolling the human-animal bond. ... We celebrate pets, as well as wildlife and habitat protection. We are the nation's most important advocate for local humane societies, providing shelter standards and evaluations, training programs, a national advertising campaign to promote pet adoption, direct support, and national conferences."
http://www.humanesociety.org/about/overview/

As a volunteer at a local no-kill shelter, I have first-hand seen the benefit of their inspections and rescue efforts of abused and neglected pets.

Additionally, as a charity, they have received a highest 4-star rating from Charity Navigator, the nation's largest and most-utilized evaluator of charities.

Re: PETA, that's a whole 'nother thing. I won't go there and I agree with that part of your assessment.

I'll shut up about this now. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Just my 2 cents. Wandered into groomers with a friend to see cute puppies the groomers clients yorkie and Maltese had by accident produced. wow! Yes the client should have neutered her dogs. Anyway very cute. Client wanted to keep one, a mostly black with some white little boy, but hoped to find someone to adopt the larger black with some white male and the little yorkieish female. I fell in love with both. Mork, the large black with some white, weighs around 13 lbs. He looks like a Maltese and has Maltese personality and I think he is the perfect dog. Mindy, maybe 7 lbs, has yorkie coloring and yorkie temperament and I adore her. They were both fixed at the appropriate time. My vet thinks that, ahem, more than one father may have been involved in this litter. Usually I adopt from shelter and always donate to it but I have no regrets taking on these two. Mork, with the Maltese personality, is very smart and gets along well with people both young and old. Loves cats fears kittens:smile: mindy has the yorkie suspicious and protective personality but is loyal and not aggressive. Both are bright. Mork was easily trained by our Boston terrier pit mix. Mindy knows what's she is supposed to do but is kind of lazy like her mom. They get along well with our 2 labs, the aforementioned boston terrier pit mix and 5 cats. Love the cats, scared of kittens though. Love these doggies. Highly recommend a mix of this sort if you have time to spend with them.