Morgan Freeman

chemlex

Sep 13, 2005
Well this might kick up some disagreements - but please everyone be respectful.

Morgan Freeman says the concept of a month dedicated to black history is "ridiculous."

"You're going to relegate my history to a month?" the 68-year-old actor says in an interview on CBS' "60 Minutes" to air Sunday (7 p.m. EST). "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

Black History Month has roots in historian Carter G. Woodson's Negro History Week, which he designated in 1926 as the second week in February to mark the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln.

Woodson said he hoped the week could one day be eliminated — when black history would become fundamental to American history.

Freeman notes there is no "white history month," and says the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."

The actor says he believes the labels "black" and "white" are an obstacle to beating racism.

"I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man," Freeman says.

Freeman received Oscar nominations for his roles in 1987's "Street Smart," 1989's "Driving Miss Daisy" and 1994's "The Shawshank Redemption." He finally won earlier this year for "Million Dollar Baby."

source: yahoo

I don't quite know how I feel about this. The most important events in Black History - The Civil Rights Movement, Emancipation Proclamation, Underground Railroad- are also incredibly important parts of American History and I don't need February to roll around to remind me of that. But I really don't see any harm in having a month devoted to it, and I think it does educate a lot of people.

Yeah I say they do away with the month and just focus on a different aspect of Black History one week every month. I always thought Black History month in the shortest month of the year was pretty tacky. And like you said- Feb. shouldnt have to come for us to remember those accomplishments.

Yeah! And whats up with ppl always describing ppl by color? I agree with him on that. Like when Im talking to blk friends and I talk about another friend they be like : "What color is he/she?" Like that defines that person's characteristics that I am describing in a story or "They must be ___." as a generalization. I reply "Their my friend." ! Point blank period. What's up with you having to know their race? What does it matter. It's just a friend of mine.

I think the real energy should be put into giving significantly more coverage to Black History in school curriculums, Dr. King is more than a paragraph! But I also don't think that the month hurts anything.

I agree with all of you. BagLovingMom, I don't think it HURTS anything either, but it's a tad bit disrespectful to me. I'm actually sick of hearing about Martin Luther King. I feel like there are many more people to read about than just him.

I agree with the comment, that if we all stopped referring to each other as a color, it will help beat racism. I was raised in an interesting environment, and the day I stopped looking at people by race, I discovered the world to be a truly beautiful place. If there is a need to celebrate Black history, how come there is not a month devoted to Native American History?

Police say actor's car left Mississippi highway and flipped several times

Breaking news
MSNBC News Services
updated 33 minutes ago

Academy Award winning actor Morgan Freeman was seriously injured in a car accident in Mississippi on Sunday night according to the Mississippi Highway Patrol.
Police report that Freeman, 71, was driving eastbound on Highway 32 near the town of Ruleville, Miss., around 11:30 p.m. when his car left the road and flipped several times.
Police say Freeman and a female passenger had to be extracted from the vehicle and the actor was flown to Regional Medical Center in Memphis, Tenn., where he was listed in serious condition. There was no word on the condition of the passenger.
TMZ.com is reporting that state troopers say "The Dark Knight" star was talking at the scene of the accident.

I know! I just saw the Dark Knight this weekend.. and was just saying that I think Morgan is my fav actor!

Who the heck was the girl in the car? At 11:30 in the evening that wasn't his wife? Does he have children? Maybe his daughter?

ok so I found this in Wiki... That she was He has been married to Myrna Colley-Lee since June 16, 1984. He has two sons, Alfonso and Saifoulaye, from previous relationships. He adopted his first wife's daughter, Deena, and the couple also had a fourth child, Morgana. Freeman lives in Charleston, Mississippi, and New York City. He has a private pilot's license, which he gained at age 65,[8] and co-owns and operates Madidi, a fine dining restaurant, and Ground Zero, a blues club, both located in Clarksdale, Mississippi. He officially opened his second club Ground Zero in Memphis, TN on April 24, 2008.

Gheesh Wiki is FAST! Freeman was seriously injured in an automobile accident near Ruleville, Mississippi, on Aug. 3rd, 2008. The vehicle, a 1997 Nissan Maxima, in which he was traveling flipped over several times. He and a female passenger were rescued from the vehicle using the "Jaws Of Life". Freeman was evacuated via medical helicopter to a hospital in Memphis.