More on the "Black Spot" on Edith

if they are willing to give you a discount that may not be so bad at all. how much discount will they give you? is the black mark that large? is it black or dark marking of the leather?
i am glad they were able to work with you and be accomodating with a discount though. hope it works out.

ETenebris said:
Actually there WAS another comment made (I believe about covering it with a ribbon or scarf?) but I just ignored it. But at least I have options now. I will sleep on it, then decide.

Oh for heaven's sake. I'm sure they're just trying to be amusing, but that would still annoy me. They're a high end boutique, not even a large department store where they could hide behind other people messing up - someone should have noticed the defect before sending you the last in-demand bag they had. And they shouldn't be so nonchalant about it now.

But good - sleep on it and hopefully you'll know what to do!

doulosforhim said:
if they are willing to give you a discount that may not be so bad at all. how much discount will they give you? is the black mark that large? is it black or dark marking of the leather?
i am glad they were able to work with you and be accomodating with a discount though. hope it works out.

15-20%, which still makes it over $1000 in the end. The mark is not a leather discoloration...it is the tar-like stuff that they use to seal the raw edges of the leather after they roll the handles. It must have gotten smeared or touched the leather handle when they put it on. It is on the rolled part of the handle, so it's not that obvious if I carry it, but if I wanted to resell the bag down the road it would decrease the value. Meanwhile, I am scrunching the bag up to see if the leather will soften any. My hubby likes it, but says if the mark will prevent resale I should probably send it back. Maybe Edith and I were just not meant to be.

ETenebris said:
15-20%, which still makes it over $1000 in the end. The mark is not a leather discoloration...it is the tar-like stuff that they use to seal the raw edges of the leather after they roll the handles. It must have gotten smeared or touched the leather handle when they put it on. It is on the rolled part of the handle, so it's not that obvious if I carry it, but if I wanted to resell the bag down the road it would decrease the value. Meanwhile, I am scrunching the bag up to see if the leather will soften any. My hubby likes it, but says if the mark will prevent resale I should probably send it back. Maybe Edith and I were just not meant to be.

:amazed: :sad: :wondering
can you part with it though? sound like you really love her though?
but i know what you mean. you have a tough decision to make.

Good luck in deciding,ET. I think I would vote for returning and getting a perfect one;there seem to be very many of them zipping back and forth across America.

QuirkyCool said:
Good luck in deciding,ET. I think I would vote for returning and getting a perfect one;there seem to be very many of them zipping back and forth across America.

Ditto Quirky's comment 100% - in a week or two there should be plenty available from NM and BG as the returns roll in, and the early returns should be pretty clean - and you won't have the RH return policy hassle.

ETenebris said:
15-20%, which still makes it over $1000 in the end.
...but if I wanted to resell the bag down the road it would decrease the value.

Meanwhile, I am scrunching the bag up to see if the leather will soften any. My hubby likes it, but says if the mark will prevent resale I should probably send it back. Maybe Edith and I were just not meant to be.

I agree you need to look out for resale value given you aren't 100% certain you even like it... plus paypal fees...:amazed:

I'm scrunching mine up a lot too now - thanks for the advice. It has definitely softened but I think I may order another from NM/BG when they come back online to have a comparison. I think it's the lack of extra wrinkles that's bugging me now more. But I have this fascination that just won't stop - and DH says it's his fav and has even taken to calling her Chucky without missing a beat! :lol: (credit SoCal for the perfect re-name!)

blugenie said:
I agree you need to look out for resale value given you aren't 100% certain you even like it... plus paypal fees...:amazed:

I'm scrunching mine up a lot too now - thanks for the advice. It has definitely softened but I think I may order another from NM/BG when they come back online to have a comparison. I think it's the lack of extra wrinkles that's bugging me now more. But I have this fascination that just won't stop - and DH says it's his fav and has even taken to calling her Chucky without missing a beat! :lol: (credit SoCal for the perfect re-name!)

That is hilarious! No decisions on my end yet. Glad SA gave me the weekend! I had a message on my cell phone from Nordstrom...they got some Ediths in, so I don't think she will be so hard to find anymore. Now just deciding if I want one at all at this point. Hubby and neighbors like the bag, so now it's all on me!