More life cycle of a Coachie

lizmil

O.G.
Dec 30, 2007
If any one remembers my “Life cycle of a Coachie” thread,
I find myself here again:
We receive our credit card bills and again hit sticker shock. Did I really spend that much? But our purchases were 20 % off with half-off of that and then 20% off of that?

And yes I just bought the croc Maggie and two, no three wallets with PCE (one for DD’s birthday)

So I ask myself do I need to thin the collection (well probably yes), but I stand there & can’t figure out what to part with. (Yes, I’ve been here before, too!) Some pieces are from collections that have ended like the Parker or Sabrinas & won’t be seen again. Some, again, like the Parker and Sabrinas have newer versions I don’t care for as much & that will take a while to sell at that price anyway.

I’m really finding that I don’t care for the new items as well as the old. It needn't even be old, old in my case. Even my PCE purchase was a Maggie, not a newer line. I like the Kristin line a lot, but I like the old closure, not the newer one. Maybe I should just let the collection settle for a bit, then say look at it in a month or two & make a decision?

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I've done the "thin the herd" at least twice before, so the "easy" returns are gone.

Mods: I’m not making a veiled bid to sell here. I have receipts and would return the items. That’s why I’m not giving the names of specific bags.

Last edited:
I guess you have to decide on your own what is it that you really want to keep. I have also spent so much lately that I have decided to stop completely or else I will go broke. Besides there are other things I want to do such a cruise so even though I love everything I have so far and coach bags....This remaining 2010 will be a ban for me.

I would go by which bags are more useful or pratical either by size or color. Maybe get rid of similar colors or shapes. Keep a few exclusive bags for special occasions....

Well lizmil, I don't know if you are anything like me, but my Coach vow is to never have items that are "museum pieces". In other words, I collect Coach to use it. Not to keep in a dust bag and take it out to admire it occasionally - that leaves a really bad feeling in my stomach. It's like buying a BMW and never driving it - what's the point of having it then?

If I ever do reach the day where something is sitting and not being used - it's GONE. I'm not sure if you feel the same way, but that would be the deciding factor for me.

And Coach is always, always coming out with new items, so my other thought is that anything you don't LOVE WITH ALL YOUR HEART, has to go as new things are being manufactured as this is being written that will make your heart flutter, so don't settle for "meh".

I can't really comment. I'm in the beginning stages of the coachie cyle;) I can say this though. I have bought and returned a few bags. I have decided that if I don't absolutely LOVE a bag and HAVE to have it then I don't need it. I've very carefully selected the bags that I"ve purchased and they are all here to stay.
I won't buy more than 10 bags. If I need more than that then I will sell one first. Which is sad because I'm already at 8:smile: I'm sure though that as time evolves my tastes and desires will change and something that I can't live without right now will eventually leave my collection. Some bags I know though are forever bags. For sure my inlaid Peyton. I could never part with her. And my HG patent camel audrey.

Well lizmil, I don't know if you are anything like me, but my Coach vow is to never have items that are "museum pieces". In other words, I collect Coach to use it. Not to keep in a dust bag and take it out to admire it occasionally - that leaves a really bad feeling in my stomach. It's like buying a BMW and never driving it - what's the point of having it then?

If I ever do reach the day where something is sitting and not being used - it's GONE. I'm not sure if you feel the same way, but that would be the deciding factor for me.

And Coach is always, always coming out with new items, so my other thought is that anything you don't LOVE WITH ALL YOUR HEART, has to go as new things are being manufactured as this is being written that will make your heart flutter, so don't settle for "meh".
hoooo smokess!!!
now this is creepy..
i'm thinking the EXACT same thing!!
wow.. great minds do think alike, aye? hehe:P

Thanks all jelita78 & chrissy11, those are especially the ways I'm trying tothink right now. If I bought it because I thought it was cool, I like your word museum piece then it should go back.

I don't want to list specific bags, I want to keep it general. I'm not looking for veiled sales. I like tPF too much to lose my spot here.

I think that if you can't decide what to part with, then keep everything. I personally have thinned my collection out by asking myself what I don't use and probably won't use. Even so, all I want to part with right now is just a couple accessories. Not much at all. My collection is at a comfortable place. I love what I have and don't feel the need to buy anything else at the moment.

yup..
i figured that if i haven't used it in 2 months, then, i'm no longer into it..
especially when i switch handbags daily and sometimes twice a day, depending if we go out in the evenings..
i always then had the sellers-remorse thingy..
but after a while, it's slide off by itself..
so, i guess the "clingy" feeling is normal anyways..

Do any of your pieces just not work for you any longer? My motto is that if I can't use it, and don't forsee it being useful soon, then I will try to sell it. My one exception is the first bag I ever bought from Coach, which is an adorable little black buckle flap, and I just couldn't!

I totally agree with the 'museum piece' thing. If you don't see yourself using it, that would be the first to go. I have done this myself in the past and after holding onto something for almost a year cause it was so pretty I ended up selling it anyway...
I've learned if it doesn't fit my lifestyle it doesn't matter how pretty it is, I'll just admire it from afar on others!

And on the "first Coach" topic, I just sold the very first Coach I ever bought. I did think long and hard about it. I sold it locally to a lady in my neighborhood, and I could tell she went to a really great home. It was the lady's first Coach, and I could just see she was thrilled to death to have her.

But my taste has changed a little since then (it was a pink patchwork Carly), and I don't need that many summer bags since summer in Canada is so short. So I let her go. I do remember her fondly though. Even my DH asked me if I was sure I wanted to let her go.