More kitty drama!!

madamefifi

cat hoarder
O.G.
Aug 23, 2006
My poor baby Zool dislocated her wrist yesterday and now has to wear a splint--and an E-collar!!--for 4 weeks. The vet is going to show the films to an orthopedic surgeon just to make sure she doesn't need surgery.

This is what happens when cats are allowed to go outdoors! Even under supervision, bad things can happen. In Zool's case the dogs spooked her and in the course of trying to get away from them she ran partway up a tree which is probably when the injury occurred. I feel sooo guilty and have decided that outdoor privileges are permanently suspended. It's just not worth it.

madamefifi....best of luck to your poor baby! I made a beeline over here after reading your post in the Completely Boring Thread. Probably the hardest part for fluffy will be wearing that collar. Good thing the sleep 18 hours a day!.....:heart:

Sorry to hear about Zool. I'll keep my fingers crossed that she doesn't need surgery. Don't beat yourself up over letting her go out. She could've hurt herself climbing indoors too.

Well, poor Zool has been in the splint for 2 weeks, with 2 more to go---or so I thought. Our vet left a message the other day that she showed the films to the orthopaedist and he said in 6 to 8 weeks, if she doesn't show improvement, she'll have to wear the splint---which is really more like a soft cast that goes all the way up to her armpit--for 6 ot 8 more weeks, and if still no healing then amputation is probably the only other option.

WTH???? How did we get from "4 weeks, no problem" to amputation??? It's a dislocated wrist for Pete's sake!!! Since when is amputation an appropriate treatment? I haven't called the vet back yet because I am so freakin' mad and I have gotten enough bad news for one week. I am seriously considering taking Zool to another vet at the end of the 4 weeks. This is totally unacceptable, IMO. My DH says not to worry, Zool will probably be fine after the originally prescribed 4 weeks of splint-wearing. And if she needs futher intervention I would think some sort of surgical pinning would be in order, not just cutting her little paw off.

My poor baby Zool!! Y'all should see her hopping around the house, it would break your hearts. I cannot imagine disfiguring her with an amputation without exploring all other options. Please send good vibes to my little furbaby!

Poor Zool...:sad: I have seen many cats do well with being a 'tripod', but at the same time I think you should talk to your vet face-to-face when time comes and get a 2nd opinion with a Board Certified Veterinary Orthopedic Surgeon. Was the fracture really complicated? I think it is still too early to make that decision anyway...
Please give her a big kitty hug:heart:

^^it's not even a fracture, it's a dislocation. And I know she would be OK as a tripod, and believe me if the choice comes down to her being crippled and in pain, or an amputee, well, it's a no-brainer. I'm just a bit taken aback because none of this was mentioned when Zool was seen initially. I can't help but wonder if the othopod saw something on the X-rays that our vet didn't. If so I would surely like to know what it is, and what the treatment options are, besides amputation. I am going to call the vet back, of course. It's just that I was marking off the days on the calender and saying "Just two more weeks, Zool!" and then *BOOM* this falls out of the sky. Zool really hates the splint though she isn't trying to remove it (the E-collar lasted about 15 seconds) and the other cats are disturbed by it, too.

madamefifi I hope she's okay!! I would maybe go get a second opinon from another orthepedic surgeon.

Outdoor priviledges have been suspended for as long as I can remember in our house after one cat was hit by a car at the cottage. The cats that were adults at the time never got used to their priviledge loss and always tried to escape but would eventually come back.... I think the suspension is an excellent decision on your part :smile:

^^it's not even a fracture, it's a dislocation. And I know she would be OK as a tripod, and believe me if the choice comes down to her being crippled and in pain, or an amputee, well, it's a no-brainer. I'm just a bit taken aback because none of this was mentioned when Zool was seen initially. I can't help but wonder if the othopod saw something on the X-rays that our vet didn't. If so I would surely like to know what it is, and what the treatment options are, besides amputation. I am going to call the vet back, of course. It's just that I was marking off the days on the calender and saying "Just two more weeks, Zool!" and then *BOOM* this falls out of the sky. Zool really hates the splint though she isn't trying to remove it (the E-collar lasted about 15 seconds) and the other cats are disturbed by it, too.

LOL, I am sorry, but I know what you mean by trying to have a cat with e-collar on!!! Poor girl, and I am sorry you guys are having to go through this:sad:... I know you will do what is best for her, and I didn't mean the post to sound like you won't! Yeah, I can imagine it's bit too extreme to kinda jumping to that conclusion already... I don't know what is worse in terms of fracture vs. dislocation. In any case, I know you will fight for your girl!!!:tup: You know your girl the best:heart: In the meantime, sorry Zool for having to deal with the HUGE cast/splint! I can imagine she is soooo miserable~~~