More is better????or "torn between two SA's in one H store

Prettychic, I've wondered about the same thing. I'm a scarf collector but I don't buy things from one store only -- I buy them from Hermes.com, from the Madison store when I happen to be in NY, from other cities when I travel, from reputable resellers, and from my local boutique when I come by and they have something I like.

At this point I'm not interested in any special orders or particularly hard-to-find bags, so I don't feel the need to cultivate a particular SA relationship. I've always thought that this is a business and therefore any SA at any H store should be happy to help. But a couple of months ago a small incident made me wonder if perhaps I was breaking some unspoken H etiquette rules.

There is an SA at my local store from whom I've bought small things -- scarf rings and pocket squares -- a couple of times. Initially, when I bought something from her, she gave me a card with her hours. The second time I went by the store, I specifically, out of courtesy, picked one of her days, but the SA was not behind the scarf counter and didn't appear anywhere in the store. I asked the only other lady present to show me a twilly. Three minutes later, my SA appeared -- she must have stepped away to the ladies' room. She didn't say anything, but she stood behind my back, glared at me and literally shook her head at me, which made me feel either as a five-year-old being scolded by her teacher or as a woman caught cheating by her husband. I approached her and greeted her (and I didn't buy anything from the other person), but the subsequent interaction was very, very awkward, and I have since stayed away from that particular store.

Personally, I feel that this kind of "proprietary" behavior on the part of any SA is a bit ridiculous and that the H shopping experience should be a pleasure. Am I wrong? I'd love to hear other people's thoughts.

The SAs at my H store are very gracious. They won't 'fight' amongst themselves. In fact, whenever I visit my store, they would automatically go and call my SA down from wherever she is. I don't have the scenario of not finding my SA at the store because she tells me when her off days are, and I don't visit the store on those days. If I happen to be in the vicinity, and spy something that I like, I would request for the item to be reserved by any other SA, and revisit my store when my SA is back.

I stick to my SA. Exclusively.

As a shopper, I am quite eager to get hold of the items asap or when the items arrived. Its ridiculous to expect us to wait for the SA to return from leave when other SA could easily assist us. Who's to guarantee that the item will still be there and not sold to other customers?
I had 1 SA who advised me the birkin I requested has arrived and she would reserve it for me. When my fren went to pick it up for me a week later (since its an overseas store), the SA told us it was sold! Another SA sold it, but makes me wonder what her term of "reserved" means and what a waste of time!

It seems to me that the term "reserved" varies from SA to SA, and it's the SA's discretion on how to define that term.

I had an SA do this to me once... I asked for something and she told me she'd found it, only to be emailed two weeks later by the SA telling me she had let it go to someone else and she would find another for me. I was fuming - this was a highly coveted item, very hard to find, and I had OFFERED TO PAY for it before I come and collect it. All rejected by the SA.

I recently had another SA, in the same store as the above SA, hold a couple of items for me. There were quite a number of items, and we were waiting for some more to come in. Again, I offered to pay for the items that were already in (to avoid the above situation happening again) but this second SA very firmly told me that whatever is set aside for me, is mine and will not be given away.

No prizes for guessing which SA I'm shopping with from now on.

Ranag: my thoughts exactly!Power to the shopper!!!This was "meant to be" as the SA was not Ideal..she fell short of treatment on occasions ie. when other customers were in a hurry to "catch planes,trains,etc." She would make me wait for 30 minutes,after she already started working with me (like trying on boots, etc.) and interrupted my "Hermes shopping moment" on the grounds that the other shopper had to catch a plane. Yet, she never interrupted anyone else's sale for moi!!!! After you said she treated you like "dirt", that rang a bell...

That to me, honestly, is a big no-no :nono:
I do not appreciate having my shopping moment disrupted for any reason, and I always make sure I never disrupt someone else's shopping moment either.

Maybe you need to have a word with her on how you don't appreciate being kept waiting, because your time is precious too. If she has other customers she needs to help, then let her know you will also look for another SA to help you.

As a shopper, I am quite eager to get hold of the items asap or when the items arrived. Its ridiculous to expect us to wait for the SA to return from leave when other SA could easily assist us. Who's to guarantee that the item will still be there and not sold to other customers?
I had 1 SA who advised me the birkin I requested has arrived and she would reserve it for me. When my fren went to pick it up for me a week later (since its an overseas store), the SA told us it was sold! Another SA sold it, but makes me wonder what her term of "reserved" means and what a waste of time!

Gosh! :nono:

I stick to my SA. Exclusively.

Although I agree with everyone that as part of the customer's prerogatives, you are free to work with any SAs of your liking and comfort level, I do find that your loyalty to a specific SA will be amply rewarded in the long run.

Ranag, I know, in your case, you had a rotten apple and I am very sorry to hear about the whole experience. But I really hope that was an exception rather than the norm!

Although I agree with everyone that as part of the customer's prerogatives, you are free to work with any SAs of your liking and comfort level, I do find that your loyalty to a specific SA will be amply rewarded in the long run.

Ranag, I know, in your case, you had a rotten apple and I am very sorry to hear about the whole experience. But I really hope that was an exception rather than the norm!

I do agree, it takes time to build a relationship, but once you build up some rapport, it helps, and you'd never know when you might be pleasantly surprised. :smile:

Indeed, hanyeu. :yes: In my case, it's only one SA in my country. I will look overseas only when her search proved futile or whatever reason that her hands are tied.

If everyone gets fixed salary, no sales-based, this wouldn't happen. I think maybe Hermes is too pushy towards their staff, that's why we have all these sort of games going on

There is an SA at my local store from whom I've bought small things -- scarf rings and pocket squares -- a couple of times. Initially, when I bought something from her, she gave me a card with her hours. The second time I went by the store, I specifically, out of courtesy, picked one of her days, but the SA was not behind the scarf counter and didn't appear anywhere in the store. I asked the only other lady present to show me a twilly. Three minutes later, my SA appeared -- she must have stepped away to the ladies' room. She didn't say anything, but she stood behind my back, glared at me and literally shook her head at me, which made me feel either as a five-year-old being scolded by her teacher or as a woman caught cheating by her husband. I approached her and greeted her (and I didn't buy anything from the other person), but the subsequent interaction was very, very awkward, and I have since stayed away from that particular store.

This is way out of order! Awful! I wouldn't tolerant anything like that! You are the customer who is paying and you should not be treated like a child! I also buy a lot when travelling. In my home city, I also go to different shops. There is one SA I really like in one shop because she once told me to grab things if I can when travelling because some of the items are just really difficult to come by. For that, I love her! Now I will always go to her first when I want anything.

Remember it's your money and you should feel free to spend it with whoever you like!

Humans react differently in any situation. Some can be magnanimous in victory. Others, can be acrimonious. Same theory applies to your first SA's reaction, albeit socially unacceptable, was her way of letting out the negative feeling percolating in her system because right at that very moment, she felt betrayed by you. It was not unnatural. On the other hand, another SA could have reacted differently because her mind quickly took control over the emotion. When we are angry, we say or do stupid things. My father have instilled in me that if you want to do or say something that you will regret afterwards, say or do it when you are angry.

Consequently, your first SA may realize how stupid she had become. Or maybe, she would never do. Pardon me for the early rant. What I can advise though is not to let any SA compromise or ruin your shopping experience. However, do not burn the bridge completely for you will never know when the opportunity for her redemption will come again. Just my opinion. :smile:

Prettychic, I've wondered about the same thing. I'm a scarf collector but I don't buy things from one store only -- I buy them from Hermes.com, from the Madison store when I happen to be in NY, from other cities when I travel, from reputable resellers, and from my local boutique when I come by and they have something I like.

At this point I'm not interested in any special orders or particularly hard-to-find bags, so I don't feel the need to cultivate a particular SA relationship. I've always thought that this is a business and therefore any SA at any H store should be happy to help. But a couple of months ago a small incident made me wonder if perhaps I was breaking some unspoken H etiquette rules.

Personally, I feel that this kind of "proprietary" behavior on the part of any SA is a bit ridiculous and that the H shopping experience should be a pleasure. Am I wrong? I'd love to hear other people's thoughts.

Spring in Paris: THANKS for the good post.I hear you and feel so validated by all your reactions to the "proprietary" bahaviors of some SA, since reading the tpfr's wise comments and reactions and advice regarding my dilemma, I have been thinking, "a good SA should be serving us, not us serving the SA". They need our patronage to stay in their jobs!!!!!!:nono::nono::nono:

That to me, honestly, is a big no-no :nono:
I do not appreciate having my shopping moment disrupted for any reason, and I always make sure I never disrupt someone else's shopping moment either.

Maybe you need to have a word with her on how you don't appreciate being kept waiting, because your time is precious too. If she has other customers she needs to help, then let her know you will also look for another SA to help you.

Pyrexia: good advice, I am now NEVER buying from her again...but I do not have the nerve to confront...I'll just go to the second person who helped me in the absence period!

I get it but as long as the first was on vacation you can return to that SA being nice ton the sub. But I think he would totally get the fact that your first sa was your first option I have relationships with almost all of them and they are always very nice even when they know I'm going for the other sa .

"a good sa should be serving us, not us serving the sa". They need our patronage to stay in their jobs!!!!!!

ITA! I think some of these SA's forget this.

Spring In Paris - I am so sorry that you had that experience! It is simply unacceptable. When any SA in any store behaves that way towards me, I vote with my literal pocketbook and never give them my business ever again.