More Expensive Than Your Manager's Bag

Not sure if there is a thread about this already but I was wondering if it is okay for you to use a bag that is more expensive than your manager's Louis Vuitton bag? Especially if you're just in an entry level position.

I guess it really depends on your work environment.. and how your manager is..

I'm the youngest where I work and even though everyone is very well dressed and fashionable, I'm the only one who has a collection of high end designer bags & shoes. But I'm lucky that they're not *****y about that sort of thing and get away with carrying and wearing whatever I choose.. with no negative comments!

However, I do have a friend who would not wear her designer items to work at all because she gets smirks and looks from co-workers.. :shrugs:

I'm not sure if it's a factor but my workplace is 90% male.. hers on the otherhand is mostly female!

Of course, just because you are in a entry-level position doesn't dictate what you have saved or your total household income. I would not care if I had a bag more expensive than my boss.

I guess it really depends on your work environment.. and how your manager is..

I'm the youngest where I work and even though everyone is very well dressed and fashionable, I'm the only one who has high end designer bags & shoes. But I'm lucky that they're not *****y about that sort of thing and get away with carrying and wearing whatever I choose.. with no negative comments!

However, I do have a friend who would not wear her designer items to work at all because she gets smirks and looks from co-workers.. :shrugs:

I'm not sure if it's a factor but my workplace is 90% male.. hers on the otherhand is mostly female!

That is a shame.. I would care less if I get dirty looks. SO WHAT! People have a lot of nerve.

I kinda have the same problem ! My bags more then every ones i work with its hard not to carry it with me because i love her! i think as long as you have a place you can take the bag and it wont get dirty then carry it . fashion is about what you like and all your purses are for YOU so why not ? :yahoo:

I have to agree with lisalovesshoes.. It really depends on your work environment.

I used to carry my LV babies to work every single day at my last job and nobody cared, but with my current job.. People aren't very friendly toward expensive things mainly because none of them have the "extra money" on hand to spend - They either have family to support or they have debts to pay off. (I’m a single lady with no debt)
Even my boss isn't very friendly toward designer handbags (he thinks it’s a waste of money) although he spends couple thousand dollars on Apple stuff every other month :Push:

Therefore, I have 2 (less flashy, like Epi) "designated" bags for work.

Last edited:
No matter what you do in life, people will have something to say so do what makes you happy. Life is too short to worry about what others think. The only reason a job would impact which bag I would carry is if the bag could get dirty or damaged.

i'm with Rockst@r, totally agree.
if people (whether co worker or manager) are going to judge what type of handbag you take to work, well, they probably have nothing else in life to live for. seriously.
i'm so sick of people wanting to put their opinons on how much YOU spend on purchases. i don't know why people get so hung up on other people's business, especially when it's so personal as spending hard earned cash.
wear your handbags with pride ladies. your worth it!!!

if its not a flashy bag, like an epi or maybe even a damier, it would be OK. the monogram stands out too much. i would ease in to it, lol. but yeah, it does depend on the environment.

at my old job, i carried my Palermo or Speedy and my boss never said anything. I quit because I was never offered a raise and since I'm actually friends with my former boss, he said it was because I carried expensive bags so they thought that other people needed the money more than i did. =\

and at my current job, i get nasty stares from one of my coworkers lol. it turns out that she is in a lot of debt so i don't really carry my LV's anymore to work not because she bothers me but as a sign of respect. I know that when I was going through financial hardships, seeing my friend's designer purchases did make me sad.

and besides, you need to make nice in the workplace. you never know who's help you're going to need, who's going to get promoted, who's connections will help you out, etc.

I'd like to add that I do think it depends on what job it is... Office jobs? No problemo.
But when it's something like social work, I'd rather not. But that has to do with the fact I think it's not always appropriate to carry expensive bags (such as Chanel, Hermes etc).

this topic was at chanel forum and a lady was new to the office...may be an intern and she put her purse in the drawer.......and another employee just opened her drawer while she's gone to lunch or bathroom break and use a knife to cut the bottom of her purse. the b*tch denied it later....it's a nightmare.
personally i wouldn't care but there's a lot of haters out there. check out the ppl first before if you want to be safe.