More expensive in France than US?

Dec 11, 2006
I'm going to Paris and Prague in a couple weeks and have longed for a Van cleef piece. In particular, I love the vintage alhambra pendant with diamonds, which is $7,350 in the US. I looked up the price on the France website and it is listed for €7,500, which would be more expensive. I thought a French brand would be less expensive in France.

They recently lowered prices in the US and also raised them in Europe some time ago. So I'd buy in the US personally - not much savings if at all in Europe, plus the hassle of tax refund, etc.

They recently lowered prices in the US and also raised them in Europe some time ago. So I'd buy in the US personally - not much savings if at all in Europe, plus the hassle of tax refund, etc.

I agree, although my experience has only been in France. I have found the rough savings to generally be the amount of the sales tax I would be saving (and this is after the refund of VAT). And if you are properly declaring your purchases coming into the US it is pretty much a wash. I don't ever buy in France unless it is an item that is only sold there because of the detaxe hassle and the feeling that the detaxe might not even go through. (To this point I have not had a detaxe that didn't go through, but I have waited as long as 2 months before.)

I agree, although my experience has only been in France. I have found the rough savings to generally be the amount of the sales tax I would be saving (and this is after the refund of VAT). And if you are properly declaring your purchases coming into the US it is pretty much a wash. I don't ever buy in France unless it is an item that is only sold there because of the detaxe hassle and the feeling that the detaxe might not even go through. (To this point I have not had a detaxe that didn't go through, but I have waited as long as 2 months before.)

Thank you!