More Ebay Aggravation

MySharona

O.G.
Feb 23, 2008
Compared to a lot of Ebay trials and tribulations of other people here, this is probably no big deal. But it has me aggravated nonetheless.

On July 20, I BIN’d two items from one seller with 100% feedback. I am located in USA, seller is in Italy. One item is a braided leather bracelet, the other item a bead for the bracelet.

One of the two items indicated that it shipped free with any other item, so I thought the seller would combine shipping. The seller did NOT combine shipping. Alright, I sucked that one up, since I should have read the terms of the other item more carefully, which did not state combined shipping. (As a seller, I ALWAYS combine the shipping for small items like that, and especially since 1 of the 2 items specifically stated combined shipping, so this kick started my aggravation, but I let it go.)

Auction terms stated that items would ship within 1 business day of cleared payment, and that I should expect arrival between 07/30/12 and 08/06/12. I paid immediately on 07/20/12 by PayPal using my credit card, which I have used internationally before with no issues. Both items were less than $70, and $20 total for shipping.

I did not receive any communication from the seller as far as shipment until 08/08/12, two days after the latest date I should have already received the items. Note: my PayPal confirmed address is in the USA, but the seller in Italy chose to communicate with me in German.

Seller’s email said in part, “Wir sind nicht verantwortlich für die Verlust der per DHL Global Mail (keine sendungsnummer) gesendeten Artikel. Falls die Ware verloren oder gestolen oder beschädigt gegangen ist, kann der Kunde nach eine teilweise oder ganze Erstattung nur für versicherte Lieferungen bitten, Wir empfehlen Lieferungen per Kurrierdienst und diese Option ist frei für Bestellungen über ? 200,00”) I put this into Google translate, and basically it says that my items are not guaranteed against loss by DHL since I did not pay extra for expedited shipping. This was NOT in the original auction terms, and I was not notified of this until after the items were supposedly shipped.

I plan to wait until 8/20/12 before escalating this (1 month from date of payment). Is this reasonable under the circumstances? Do I have any recourse if the items are lost? If I do eventually receive the items and they are as described, what kind of feedback should be left?

Thanks for any advice.

Auction terms stated that items would ship within 1 business day of cleared payment, and that I should expect arrival between 07/30/12 and 08/06/12. I paid immediately on 07/20/12 by PayPal using my credit card, which I have used internationally before with no issues. Both items were less than $70, and $20 total for shipping.

I did not receive any communication from the seller as far as shipment until 08/08/12, two days after the latest date I should have already received the items. Note: my PayPal confirmed address is in the USA, but the seller in Italy chose to communicate with me in German.

Seller’s email said in part, “Wir sind nicht verantwortlich für die Verlust der per DHL Global Mail (keine sendungsnummer) gesendeten Artikel. Falls die Ware verloren oder gestolen oder beschädigt gegangen ist, kann der Kunde nach eine teilweise oder ganze Erstattung nur für versicherte Lieferungen bitten, Wir empfehlen Lieferungen per Kurrierdienst und diese Option ist frei für Bestellungen über ? 200,00”) I put this into Google translate, and basically it says that my items are not guaranteed against loss by DHL since I did not pay extra for expedited shipping. This was NOT in the original auction terms, and I was not notified of this until after the items were supposedly shipped.

Thanks for any advice.

1. Poor communication 2. Delayed shipping, from the sounds of it 3. Changing auction/shipping terms after auction ends.

I think this seller is doing a poor job of holding up their end of the transaction, & that YES, you are being more than reasonable under the circumstances! My gut instinct says that you shouldn't buy from this seller again (I'm trying to be nice lol, but if I were you, I'd already be prepared to leave them Neg feedback &/or report them.) Sellers cannot change shipping prices, terms, or conditions like that after the fact AND it is the seller that is responsible for insuring (or not insuring) the items they ship. So if DHL loses your package, yes it IS the seller's responsibility, & it is up to them to address that with DHL. The recourse, if it does get lost or doesn't show up for whatever reason, is for you to file an "Item Not Received" claim through eBay. Depending on how the case goes (and if it goes as it should), you would get your payment refunded. You could also report this seller for their shipping terms, either directly on ebay (see "report a member" or "report a problem" in the eBay help pages) - or it may be best if you call eBay and explain to them what the seller did, and then see what the eBay rep suggests. GOOD LUCK!!

almost seems like they are trying to drag this transaction out of limits in which you can dispute... call ebay, I always find this easier than messages/resolution center

THANK YOU for sensible advice! Here's how things turned out.

I sent the seller a polite but terse message requesting a reply in English, and an explanation for the delay of my items. I did not receive a reply within 2 business days, and I escalated by calling ebay as advised. I was told I would be contacted back with one business day.

The next day I received a note from the seller, in English, telling me that my order had been shipped on time and that they had been notified it was stolen, and that they had re-shipped, and apologized for not communicating the first time it was shipped.

(Actually, this explanation triggers my BS-meter, and I don't believe there was a first shipment that was stolen.) But whatever.

On Saturday I received a small envelope with my items packed together. The items were exactly as expected, but I'm not feeling gracious enough to give glowing feedback as the shipping was not combined as stated for one of the items, and the quality of the packaging was minimal (compared to the fee charged, it took nearly a month to receive my items, and communication was poor.

You could leave feedback that communication was poor & shipping charges
were changed... personally think because 2 very important areas of
this transaction were disappointing, a neutral is warranted.. IMO...