Monogram or Damier Ebene

BellaBria17

Feb 16, 2013
I want to purchase a Speedy (not sure on 30 or 35 yet). I need to decide if I want the Damier Ebene or monogram. I don't own any Damier Ebene pieces, but I love the classic look of the Monogram Speedy. Right now I'm leaning towards Damier Ebene. Please give me some advice on which print to get, and which you like better.

I personally prefer my Monogram. Damier Ebene is also gorgeous and needs less maintenance. Monogram tells a story when it's older, because of the vachetta untreated leather. When I'm shopping and I see vintage Speedies, I always think; I can't wait till mine looks like that, though I'm very picky when it comes to especially the first year I carry a purse.

So I would say; Monogram, but Damier Ebene is also a great choice.
Good luck deciding! :flowers:

I went thru this same thing. I was put off my mono bcuz of the possibility of dirty handles but DE isn't my style and I LOVE mono so ill be getting a mono speedy in a week or two and I can't wait!! DE is def less maintenance tho but once the mono has patina it's pretty carefree.

Personally for my Speedy B I purchased recently I went with Damier Ebene. Simply because for a speedy shaped bag it's marginally (although only slightly) less common and less faked, in my opinion.

It's also the original fabric, monogram isn't, and in terms of "iconography" or "classic" bags I think a "classic" bag such as the speedy looks best in a "classic" (AKA original) fabric.

It also requires less upkeep which appealed to me, as the leather doesn't patina or anything it's easy to carry every day which is nice.

Obviously these are all my personal opinion, I don't dislike monogram, I think it's a great pattern and I would consider purchasing monogram in the future I just personally prefer Damier as a whole.

I like DE for two main reasons. The first is that I do not like bags with logos at all, I like very subtle bags, and the DE is more subtle. The second reason is the ease of no vachetta. While I love the look of a well patinaed bag (is that even a word?), but the road to getting there can be rocky, worrying about water, dirt etc.