Monochrome "Safe" Color Choices

ebie36

Professional Shopper
Apr 15, 2007
Hello :smile:

I wanted to know when choosing your first purchase or your next bag for a particular premier brand, do you usually go with safe colors I.e. Black, brown or dark colors? Or do you go with bold bright red, electric blue, pink etc?

For me when buy a bag or even my first bag from any brand I choose usually black. With Chanel all of my bags and accessories are in black. The only colored bag I have is a slate grey Balenciaga and that to me is a "bold" color. With accessories such as scarves, bracelets, wallets etc I choose bold colors. I am more adventurous in choosing bold colors with contemporary brands but always black with higher end brands. What are your usual color choices for higher end brands?

I usually choose safe, neutral colors too...black, grays, browns, taupe, beige, etc. Mainly because I see my bags as investments and want to be able to get as much use out of each bag as possible. It's hard for me to incorporate bold colors into my wardrobe...but I would like to have one nice red bag!

Mellee said:
I usually choose safe, neutral colors too...black, grays, browns, taupe, beige, etc. Mainly because I see my bags as investments and want to be able to get as much use out of each bag as possible. It's hard for me to incorporate bold colors into my wardrobe...but I would like to have one nice red bag!

Same I'm worried that if I ever decide to resale most people go for neutral colors unless it's an exclusive piece, but I like black and darker colors anyway

Same I'm worried that if I ever decide to resale most people go for neutral colors unless it's an exclusive piece, but I like black and darker colors anyway

I agree with both of you.

I believe that for most first or early purchases of a premier bag people stick to neutral colors to get the most use out of their money and to better rationalize spending the $$$ cause "black goes with anything".

It wasn't until my 5th or 6th bag that I ventured away from neutral to a bolder bag. By that point I exhausted the black bag and was in way to deep $$$ wise to think rationally anymore!!

Oooh yes I'm craving a purple too. But back to OP question, I'm prob the opposite coz i love colors and I do have some black in my wardrobe so my bags tend to be more colorful to contrast and pop. Also what i love about Chanel, apart from the design, are the colors it comes out with.

Started with blue m/l, then dark silver (striped) reissue, than red valentine patent and then yet more colors. It was only this year that I finally added some black to my Chanel family what with the black jumbo and my black/gold boy :biggrin:

It's the same for my other bags too - majority are not black nor dark colors. Colors I have most are reds and blues. I love purple and pink as colors even more but harder to find the right shade for those bag wise :P

My first Chanel was a completely impractical purchase - I bought a minaudeier that was a runway piece and they had released less than a handful. It is a hard case, etched gold, wheat branches and crystals in the wheat leaves. I look back on this purchase and often times whish I had been more practical, and started with a black, or a navy. I've used this bag three times in the 10 years I've owned it. Once I met my SA whom I trusted completely I relied on him to help me fill out my collection, when he left I was back to purchasing with my heart not my head until I met another fabulous SA.

I chose safer colors that I know I will wear, if I am spending a lot of money on a bag I want it to work well in my collection and be fairly neutral. I did buy a Sofia Coppola in cherry and I LOVE it! It is bright, but to me, red goes with pretty much anything, so I wear it often. But as for pink or electric blue or a brighter color, that I would probably not buy in a premier brand designer since I wouldn't get as much use out of it.

Does anyone buy seasonal bags? I usually don't because you can always "date" when the bag was made and I don't really like trend bags. Unless its accessories then I don't mind

I'll be the odd one out. I like colours and figure if I'm going to spend all that money on a gorgeous designer bag, I wan't it in a fabulous colour! Everyone has a black bag... But a lovely pink, purple, yellow, green... Those are special to me. :smile: