mono and the cold

Marie Lee

O.G.
Nov 21, 2009
when I read all this, I get worried my LV bags will fall apart soon... Where I live, it's very cold, will the below freezing hurt my mono canvas or epi bag? Crack or anything? I suppose all bag forums have their own set of issues, maybe, ideas? Thanks

I posed this in LV , no answers yet, does any one know if LV monogram coated canvas will crack, or "break" in extreme cold midwest winters.? Not the vachetta, the canvas, I've never heard of this, my friend has, and I need opinions please. Thanks:smile:

From another forum: The cracking usually is caused by exposure to heat or cold in extreme forms. Like letting it sit in the sun for hours or leaving it in the trunk during a cold winter...etc. It dries out the canvas and can create the cracking. Best advice is to take good care of of it...

Hm. I wear my speedy in winter all the time (Montreal, Canada) and its pretty cold here I guess. No issues so far!

I think Humidity and UV exposure is probably more damaging.

The cracking and stiffness in LV coated canvas is typically caused by the loss of plasticisers in the Vinyl. Once they are gone - there is no way to replace them. I restore LV bags - and have tried many, many things to bring back stiff vinyl - (including armour-all, various hand creams, etc.) and have failed miserably. In all - prevention is the only cure.

This is most affected by Sunlight (as was said - UV) and not generally an issue with cold temperature. (Although - the bag will become stiffer when cold - it will return to it's normal supple state once it warms up again.)

From a purely technical point of view - it is the volatiles in the Vinyl that re driven off by the UV rays - the same thing happens to the dashboard of your car in sunny climates - which causes it to stiffen and crack. (And that - by the way - is the "film" that accumulates on the inside of your windshield)

Hope this helps

I think the best way to look after canvas would be to clean it every now and then, keep it in the dustbag, in a closet or a storage box, away from sunlight and don't expose it to the harsh elements (sun, rain, snow, cold weather etc) for long periods of time if it can be avoided. I've got a Dior canvas bag that I bought in 2004 and it's still in really good condition in keeping it out of the sunlight, in its original dustbag and shopping bag.

It's not something to worry about with normal care. LV sells well in the cold Midwest and has for a long time. Treat it the same as you would a good leather bag and it will be fine.

If you like the idea of occasionally "moisturizing" the canvas, you can use Apple Leather Care (that is the name of the product--do not use the Leather Cleaner) from time to time.

I have fendi coated canvas bags from over 15 years ago and carried them in -20+ temperatures and during the summers with temp and humidity reaching in the high 90's +. No cracking on any of the Fendi's. I also have Gucci coated canvas bags from 2008 and 2009 and they've been through extreme cold and extreme heat and humidity and no cracking or any problems with the canvas and I don't moisturize or do anything to the canvas. The fabric used on all my coated canvas bags are thick and durable. So there shouldn't be any issues with coated canvas from my experience. I have no experience with LV so I can't say regarding this brand but I would guess most are the same.