Travel Money Belts? Neck Wallets? Who has found good ways of protecting your docs and $$?

Greentea

O.G.
Feb 28, 2006
What is everyone doing with their passports while traveling overseas? Anyone found a good neck wallet or similar that doesn't show under clothes? I'm going to Paris in the early summer with DH and 2 school aged children, so I'll have to carry 2 passports while traveling on planes and one train. When sightseeing (read: shopping hehe,) my plan is to leave the docs in our apartment and just carry around laminated color copies.
Also, Anyone else have some tips to foil would-be pickpockets? I've heard of splitting up your credit card(s) and cash into different pouches...
I'm not overly paranoid, but want to be aware and smart - while still looking chic!!! :graucho::cool:;):P

Make sure you cover your passport in a ziploc bag first before putting into your moneybelt. I prefer a money belt over a neck wallet :smile:

Also, I never had issues with pickpocketing in europe but I used common sense a lot. Don´t put a wallet in your backpack and then have your bag in the back. Messenger bags work perfectly well and if anything put your essentials inside your jacket if you are wearing one.

Make sure you do NOT talk to strangers (I´m dead serious on this one. If someone approaches u asking for directions simply say no and keep walking). My brother lost his bag with vintage cameras while giving directions to a man in spain. My mom had her chanel WOC opened while CROSSING the street!! By this very PRETTY lady!!! Luckily she didn´t have any money and OMG that was just a few seconds! Always have your bag close to you at all times.

hth!

Yeah - I've heard the stories about the direction scam and the gold ring scam.
Good tip about the zip lock
I never carry backpacks but I think I will bring my large Longchamp Les PLiages zip tote and a smaller messenger bag (I'll wear one at a time, not both)

^someone tried the gold ring scam on us in Paris, we just ignored her and kept walking. Someone also tried to open my purse on the subway-but I was already holding it firm and felt what she was doing a pulled it away in front of me. I used a cross-body messenger bag which I found the best-it left my hands free when I needed them, but what also across my body so I could "feel" it more. It was easy to pull and hold in front of me whilst in a crowd.

DH used a money belt that hooked on his belt loop, but flipped and went inside his pants. That was the best and most fail safe protection. The neck wallet screams "hey I'm a tourist as well", so not the best.

I don't carry my passport around with me usually unless I know I am going shopping and need it for a VAT refund form.

I will sometimes place a photocopy of it in my bag (so long as I'm not crossing any borders), but not the actual passport- it depends on the country requirements. If you have a cross body messenger bag that has a zip closure or other good close on it, I think you should be fine, as long as you carry the bag in front of you. On public transportation, I usually just put my hand on the opening of the bag, but I would do that in the US, as well.

For your credit cards, I would leave one at your apartment in case you do lose your wallet, have it stolen, etc., so you have something if needed. Make sure to scan in the cards front and back and email them to yourself, so you have them if you need to call your bank/c/c company. I also scan a copy of my driver's license and passport in and email it to myself and also print a copy of all docs and place somewhere secure where I will always have them.

^ Not sure- I have never tried it. The really just need the info in the document, so maybe- probably depends on the store. I always bring the actual passport if I know I plan to shop that day and make purchases in an amount to qualify b/c I typically plan out what day I will buy more expensive stuff, based upon the neighborhoods I will be in.

Mininana, thanks so much for that info!
I'm going to be in Paris (land of all things scarf) so I will try to hide my neck wallet strap with a light linen or chiffon scarf.

Mininana, thanks so much for that info!
I'm going to be in Paris (land of all things scarf) so I will try to hide my neck wallet strap with a light linen or chiffon scarf.

that's a great idea! I can't remember exactly but I did do a purchase at Ferragamo on rue st honore and a passport was not required. However, galeries lafayette wouldn't budge so I had to go back to my hotel to get it. Luckily the hotel I stayed was only a block away....

I don't carry my passport around with me usually unless I know I am going shopping and need it for a VAT refund form.

I will sometimes place a photocopy of it in my bag (so long as I'm not crossing any borders), but not the actual passport- it depends on the country requirements. If you have a cross body messenger bag that has a zip closure or other good close on it, I think you should be fine, as long as you carry the bag in front of you. On public transportation, I usually just put my hand on the opening of the bag, but I would do that in the US, as well.

For your credit cards, I would leave one at your apartment in case you do lose your wallet, have it stolen, etc., so you have something if needed. Make sure to scan in the cards front and back and email them to yourself, so you have them if you need to call your bank/c/c company. I also scan a copy of my driver's license and passport in and email it to myself and also print a copy of all docs and place somewhere secure where I will always have them.

Great tips - I do this when I go on any vacation in case a card gets lost or stolen.