MON PURSE Reveal and Review!

foxgal

O.G.
Jul 22, 2010
Thanks to tPF, I heard about the new company that allows you to custom-make a bag, from types of leather and colors, to color of hardware and personalized hot stamping - Mon Purse. I won't get into all the details about the company...but it's interesting for anyone into "disruptors" and start-ups.

I've been wanting a lady-like top handle forever but could never find my preferred color/shape/size/hardware. Plus I was just getting jaded by the prices of premium designers and the trendiness of certain bags being "in" and then "out". So I decided to give Mon Purse a try.

Using their software was a breeze and I played with many different options. I followed their Instagram thread to take in as many of their bags IRL as I could see before making the final decisions on my bag. In the end, I choose:

- Grainy leather - seemed like the most practical, easy-care option
- Royal blue color - I wanted a pop color that would go with pretty much everything
- Silver hardware - a bit more casual than yellow gold imho and goes with all the white gold/silver jewelry I wear

I'll get into a review later, but first, the bag:

IMG_2433.JPG

I really love the color and the style is super practical. The bag has three compartments with plenty of room for all my essentials - iPad mini in the back, the middle holds my small Chameleon insert with all my stuff, and in the front I put my cards that I reach for all the time. I chose aqua for the interior...it's like a microfiber suede.

IMG_2435.JPG

IMG_0802.JPG

The shoulder strap is adjustable and plenty long for crossbody wear. I love that the shoulder strap attaches to the sides of the bag, not to the top handle like a H Kelly. I always found that when the strap attaches to the top handle, when you open the bag, the centre of gravity just pulls the whole thing gaping at the front :annoyed: but this way with the shoulder strap attached to the sides of the bag it stays upright when you open the top flap (unless that's what you're hanging on to).

IMG_2434.JPG

The leather is really nice. I would say it feels a bit stiff, not as soft as some of my other leather bags, but it may soften over time. I think also because the style is quite structured this prevents it from getting saggy. The graining is nice and even, and the stitching seems really good. The hardware feels very sturdy. I bit disappointed there are some fairly noticeable scratches on the front clasp right out of the box, but then again I know it will get more scratched as time goes by so I'm not going to fret about it. The hot stamping is really nicely done!

IMG_2436.JPG

Re: the service. The website says 4-6 weeks to construct and ship once you order, and my shipment left right at 5 weeks. Just an FYI that Mon Purse says the bags are "made in Europe" and mine shipped from Istanbul, Turkey - which is Europe of course, but some may assume Europe means Italian-made, which it isn't.

Shipping was super-fast and I was very glad I wasn't charged any additional duties! I had good communication with the company...sometimes they took a while to get back to me when I had inquiries, but when they did they were always friendly and helpful. They added feet to the bottom of my bag (which isn't shown as an option on the website for this style) at no extra cost!

Overall, I would say I will order from them again. The bag is not what I'd consider "top quality" but it is very nice for the price ($509 US) and I love that it is unique to me. I have my eye on the patent leather camera bag - which I had ordered too but they are back-ordered and I had to cancel as I have a time constraint - and maybe thinking of ordering a bucket too next year! I would highly recommend Mon Purse to anyone who wants something unique, minimalist, and isn't too fussy about 100% perfection.

Some mod shots - for reference I'm 5'6" and 130 lbs:

IMG_0803.JPG IMG_0804.JPG

Do you find that the clasp is easy to do and undo? That’s been my main gripe with this style bag from other brands. I had a Loeffler Randall Rider and I felt I had to fidget with the clasp to close it but that was the kind that clicked into itself and you had to push the sides to release.

Do you find that the clasp is easy to do and undo? That’s been my main gripe with this style bag from other brands. I had a Loeffler Randall Rider and I felt I had to fidget with the clasp to close it but that was the kind that clicked into itself and you had to push the sides to release.

I've gone out a few times today, and found it...okay. I would say it would be easier than similar styles, such as the Ferragamo Sophia that I had, because it's smaller and the "face" plate on the top flap is big and solid. It doesn't need to be fiddled with or snapped with other lock functions...it's just a simple fold-over the faceplate and turn down the snap to lock into place. It's definately not like something where you have to guide the clasp into some certain locking space. It's very easy to naviagate...especially when it's worn crossbody and you can undo/do the clasp with one hand.

BUT, my hesitation is that I can't say with full confidence that the hardware is great quality. The bit of the hardware that turns down to close the clasp is a bit sticky...it doesn't operate completely smoothly. This may just be mine....but just sayin' I can't vouch for the quality of it. I may even get my DH to put a bit of WD40 into it to see if that helps the clasp run more smoothly.

Reactions: mleleigh
Update...went out a couple of time today with her, and a few observations....

The leather is GOOD. I can now tell it was just stiff from construction and shipping (it came very well packed with a ton of tissue!) but it is already starting to smoosh up nicely. And on the negative side, the hardware is a bit sticky and grinding...the clasp to open/close the top handle is not entirely smooth-flowing like other bags I've had.

That said, the issue is minimal and the bag was super-functional for errands while looking very stylish! :tup:

Thanks for posting so many great photos. The bag looks great in the pics of it alone, but boy, it looks amazing in the modelled pics.
I think that you did a great job of choosing colours and style. Enjoy your gorgeous bag.

Reactions: foxgal