Moms and Chanel Boy Bags

jesschr

Jun 28, 2017
Hi everyone,

This question is for the moms with Chanel Boys or moms that sold their Chanel Boys for a different style.

I’ve recently racked up quite a collection of Chanel Boys during quarantine but I am starting a family soon and considering selling the boys because it is very structured, bulky and prone to corner wear. I’m constantly being mindful of how I hold the bag, how I open it, how I wear it etc. With a baby in tow, I might not be as mindful.

If you are currently a mom with a newborn and/or young child(ren) how do you cope with your Chanel Boy?? Does it get in the way when you hold your child? Someone in a Chanel FB group I’m in mentioned that the chain digs into her child’s chest :wtf: If you sold your Chanel boy, why? What other bags would you consider instead of the boy? I prefer the boy over the classic because of the crossbody/double strap feature and I think the Jumbo is too big but maybe it’s perfect if you have children?

Thanks in advance!

Boy mom here! Haha I recently sold my boy bags because they were annoying to wear. It was the old medium size and they just hit me in a weird spot?? Also every time I'd wear it crossbody my hair would get stuck in the chain.

I love the mini for days I put my son's things in a small backpack, and the deauville for days I carry both of our things.

I have a 3 year old. I use my OM boy in the autumn/winter months for more space (small umbrella/gloves in rainy weather). All other seasons for now its my mini.

It works X body and I have always carried a back pack for my LO. I don't find the chains uncomfortable. There is also no faff of top handles and or hand carry only. I have just the one (so black) so it's low key and I have never seen one on anyone else even when boy bags were popular. I probably wouldn't buy any more. Jumbo doesn't work for me with LO in tow. Too big and heavy for cross body carry.

Reactions: jesschr
Boy mom here! Haha I recently sold my boy bags because they were annoying to wear. It was the old medium size and they just hit me in a weird spot?? Also every time I'd wear it crossbody my hair would get stuck in the chain.

I love the mini for days I put my son's things in a small backpack, and the deauville for days I carry both of our things.
Thanks for chiming in! Surprisingly, I have very thick long hair but I haven’t experienced any pulling from the chain. But I have heard that this is common! I feel like the small looks better crossbody but it barely holds my essentials! I’m not a fan of how the Deauville looks but the backpack is a great idea! I might sell one of my boys for a backpack :lol:

I have a 3 year old. I use my OM boy in the autumn/winter months for more space (small umbrella/gloves in rainy weather). All other seasons for now its my mini.

It works X body and I have always carried a back pack for my LO. I don't find the chains uncomfortable. There is also no faff of top handles and or hand carry only. I have just the one (so black) so it's low key and I have never seen one on anyone else even when boy bags were popular. I probably wouldn't buy any more. Jumbo doesn't work for me with LO in tow. Too big and heavy for cross body carry.
I honestly regret not getting the mini. Not because it’s such a coveted piece right now but because it has the crossbody feature and is a great size. I prefer caviar so I have been looking into it but I find the inflated prices so ridiculous. I don’t think I could buy a mini now knowing how inflated the second hand market is for the caviar. Yes, I would feel like the jumbo is just too big for crossbody and I hear it sits low. I’m sorry, what’s LO?

LO = little one
I think the older boy straps used to catch hair but the newer models do not. My boy doesn't catch on my hair and would probably be fine for when i'm out with my baby (I have a two month old). I personally prefer to bring my caviar woc with me and a diaper bag. the woc is great for my essentials, wallet, and phone and the diaper bag fits everything i need for the baby. I don't think the cost of the mini is worth it since a woc carries about the same amount, is significantly cheaper and comes in caviar (I wanted a caviar mini before but they're so hard to find in boutiques), I bought a WOC and am glad I got it since it seems much more functional than a mini personally

LO = little one
I think the older boy straps used to catch hair but the newer models do not. My boy doesn't catch on my hair and would probably be fine for when i'm out with my baby (I have a two month old). I personally prefer to bring my caviar woc with me and a diaper bag. the woc is great for my essentials, wallet, and phone and the diaper bag fits everything i need for the baby. I don't think the cost of the mini is worth it since a woc carries about the same amount, is significantly cheaper and comes in caviar (I wanted a caviar mini before but they're so hard to find in boutiques), I bought a WOC and am glad I got it since it seems much more functional than a mini personally

HAHA! Thank you! I thought LO was another Chanel bag. I'm not a mom yet so I wasn't familiar with the abbreviation. Okay, that totally makes sense why my hair isn't catching. Okay, thissss! Thanks for putting me back on track with my thoughts. I initially had this idea to just purchase smaller mini bags/WOCS for essentials and then when the time comes to buy a separate diaper bag but then I started hoarding boy bags and forgot all about my original plan. I will have to stop with my boy bag purchases because it seems that the consensus is that it's not the preferred bag when having a baby but I will definitely look into the WOC. I always thought WOCs didn't hold that much but if it holds about the same then the classic mini at this rate is just overrated. Do you have a base shaper? I've seen some WOCS lose it's shape over time but I'm guessing it looks fine when it's all packed and filled out?

I have the boy version woc and a medium boy bag. The classic mini flap, woc and small boy bag are all the same size with the exception of the depth/width. The mini and boy would require you to bring a wallet and that’s why it almost fits the same.

I can fit my sunglasses with my keys and phone in my woc when putting the cards in their slots and cash/receipts in the zipper pocket. **but now that I have the iPhone 11pro max it’s a bit tight. the other two might fit one or two more items.
This is a good review for the comparison from mi

if you like the boy look, the small boy would probably work the same as a woc. The only reason I don’t use my boy bag with a diaper bag is because it’s a medium. I’m about 5ft tall and If I wore the medium boy with a tote diaper bag I’d be all bag lol. And...sometimes I like to throw my woc into my diaper bag

I never bothered with a bag shaper because I find that once you put stuff in it it’ll look the same as having a bag shaper. I don’t overstuff it enough for it to warp and my woc has kept its shape wonderfully, I’ve probably had it for 4-5 years now

Thanks for chiming in! Surprisingly, I have very thick long hair but I haven’t experienced any pulling from the chain. But I have heard that this is common! I feel like the small looks better crossbody but it barely holds my essentials! I’m not a fan of how the Deauville looks but the backpack is a great idea! I might sell one of my boys for a backpack :lol:

if you find the small boy barely holds your essentials you might find the woc a bit small though... it really depends on your wallet size

I honestly regret not getting the mini. Not because it’s such a coveted piece right now but because it has the crossbody feature and is a great size. I prefer caviar so I have been looking into it but I find the inflated prices so ridiculous. I don’t think I could buy a mini now knowing how inflated the second hand market is for the caviar. Yes, I would feel like the jumbo is just too big for crossbody and I hear it sits low. I’m sorry, what’s LO?

Sorry I forget not to use very English terms on here. LO is little one as previously discussed. I have a couple of caviar minis and they are been a God send since having my daughter. Not sure I would buy pre-owned now due to the crazy pricing. Look at other small cross body seasonal caviar bags. Some people get the business affinity as it is casual. Or check out other brands. Good luck X

I have a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old. Such a handful. The boy I have is the new large (that's what the SA referred it as). Because I can crossbody the bag, it's so useful when I'm holding either 1 of the kids or even 2. However, the chain does get quite uncomfortable after a period of time. So when that happens, I wear it as a normal shoulder bag. I also have the jumbo, when I crossbody it and hold my kid/s, man... it's just uncomfortable. I much prefer the chain of the boy bag when I crossbody it. But that's just me. I find more support in boy than jumbo.

I have the boy version woc and a medium boy bag. The classic mini flap, woc and small boy bag are all the same size with the exception of the depth/width. The mini and boy would require you to bring a wallet and that’s why it almost fits the same.

I can fit my sunglasses with my keys and phone in my woc when putting the cards in their slots and cash/receipts in the zipper pocket. **but now that I have the iPhone 11pro max it’s a bit tight. the other two might fit one or two more items.
This is a good review for the comparison from mi

if you like the boy look, the small boy would probably work the same as a woc. The only reason I don’t use my boy bag with a diaper bag is because it’s a medium. I’m about 5ft tall and If I wore the medium boy with a tote diaper bag I’d be all bag lol. And...sometimes I like to throw my woc into my diaper bag

I never bothered with a bag shaper because I find that once you put stuff in it it’ll look the same as having a bag shaper. I don’t overstuff it enough for it to warp and my woc has kept its shape wonderfully, I’ve probably had it for 4-5 years now

This is a great comparison video! Thank you for sharing. When I say the small barely holds my essentials, I mean that it holds everything just right. I'm just scared that in the future, I'll keep adding more things that I would consider essentials and then it would not hold then. You're right about the medium boy. Even at 5'7, I much prefer the small, it looks better crossbodied as well. I just have one medium, I have not tried to wear it crossbody. I can't even think to sell it though because it's such a unicorn combination in my opinion. I guess it'll be a bag for me when I'm not carrying a baby around. Thanks for your input!

I have a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old. Such a handful. The boy I have is the new large (that's what the SA referred it as). Because I can crossbody the bag, it's so useful when I'm holding either 1 of the kids or even 2. However, the chain does get quite uncomfortable after a period of time. So when that happens, I wear it as a normal shoulder bag. I also have the jumbo, when I crossbody it and hold my kid/s, man... it's just uncomfortable. I much prefer the chain of the boy bag when I crossbody it. But that's just me. I find more support in boy than jumbo.
Thank you for your input! It makes sense, the jumbo strap is so much thinner and I would think that after a while it would start digging into your body versus a big chunky strap. Okay def not jumbo for me then..

I used my boy all the time before I had my son - it was my favourite bag and I found it so easy to wear. However, after he was born, it sat in my wardrobe for a good 3 years. I just never reached for it and it seemed too boxy. I had the new medium size. I felt it would swing around too much and hit stuff when I needed to be hands-on with my son and the chain strap wasn’t practical. I did start to wear it again as he became older but by then I’d fallen out of love with it and I just sold it a few weeks ago. If you love it, keep it because you will go back to using it when your child is older. It’s great that it can be worn cross body. With a child I much prefer a softer less structured bag.

I used my boy all the time before I had my son - it was my favourite bag and I found it so easy to wear. However, after he was born, it sat in my wardrobe for a good 3 years. I just never reached for it and it seemed too boxy. I had the new medium size. I felt it would swing around too much and hit stuff when I needed to be hands-on with my son and the chain strap wasn’t practical. I did start to wear it again as he became older but by then I’d fallen out of love with it and I just sold it a few weeks ago. If you love it, keep it because you will go back to using it when your child is older. It’s great that it can be worn cross body. With a child I much prefer a softer less structured bag.
Thank you for this! I figured just as much that it’s not easy to wear with a child. I do love the style however, and would hope I do have a chance to wear it when Im not going out with the child. What bag did you have instead when your son was younger?

Reactions: XCCX