mommies with flaps...does it work for you?

shells

will work for bags!
O.G.
Nov 20, 2007
i'm having such a dilemma...i'm a new mommy of an adorable 7 week old dd, and i'm torn! i got my hands on the very last pre-fall 08 patent camel jumbo and it's absolutely gorgeous! :yahoo: i love the fact that the patent is water resistant (not planning on getting it soaking wet, talking more about water marks) and the color is right up my alley. my problem has been justifying getting a new flap when i should be thinking about practicality. :thinking: i have not been using my larger bags as diaper bags, we've mainly been using using an actual diaper bag attached to her stroller, but i'm thinking more long term. as she gets older and i just want to run out, i may want to just throw a few of her things in my bag. is a flap totally impractical for a mommy? this may be my last bag for a long, long time. and i'm also not a serial chanel buyer, i have a hard time justifying the price point - my only chanel currently is a matte black reissue 227. it's so hard because i know that i won't be able to get this bag again, but i'm afraid if i keep it, it's just gonna sit in my closet (and she deserves to be worn!). i've also been debating over a coco cabas, LV mahina, or other large bag instead, even if i have to get a used one. while i love this flap, i'm not sure if a flap is right for me at this point in my life. are there any mommies out there able to tell me what they usually do? are u able to carry a flap and still manage or do u tend to use your larger bags...i hate these decisions!!

p.s. since i'm still debating, pm me if anyone is interested in picking up this bag should i decide to return it - we can coordinate. it looks brand new, never worn, i've only taken it out to look at it and try it on. it's the very last one, at least in the US!

I think the flap is easy to use. You can use it hands-free if you wear it across your body by adjusting the chain. So you can use it with a baby. However, I heard patent is more delicate than caviar. If it is the last in the country, I would keep it.

I think after just giving birth you deserve a most amazing treat and you sound like you absolutely love this bag.

Keep it! Thats my advice, I often use mine as a messenger, and you could carry a more practical bag on your pram for nappys (diapers!) and milk etc

Ask yourself whether you will regret letting your camel flap go once your child is grown and you want to get back to your Chanels.

OTOH, since you already have a black flap, maybe it would be easier to give it up for a more rewarding Chanel "mommy shape" bag, large and casual enough to use everyday...

Incidentally, I'm a mom to 2 boys, a bit older than your baby. My Chanel flap is coming back from lovinmybags' spa and I plan to use it, even if it's totally inconvenient. We'll see ;)

I am a mother of two three years old. I am getting a classic carvier. I have a metallic reissue and want a more durable bags for everydays. I used my LV neverfull for diaper bag when I need to carry toys around for them. In my experience, I didn't really need a diaper bags for my kids after they were three. I got each my kids a crossbody bag of their own and have them care their own stuff which they perfered. Plus if your 7 weeks old is a girl, don't sell any classic purse. At least that's how I justify buy new purse now. :nuts:

*sigh* i'm such an indecisive person. i do love the bag, but also love other large (and hard to find) bags! i brought it home to decide since i knew it would buy me some time. i think i love the look of it more than it's functionality. in truth, my reissue isn't used that much which makes me lean toward a bigger bag, even if i love the look of this bag. if only it weren't so pretty...i seem to change my mind every hr or so!

I am a mother of two three years old. I am getting a classic carvier. I have a metallic reissue and want a more durable bags for everydays. I used my LV neverfull for diaper bag when I need to carry toys around for them. In my experience, I didn't really need a diaper bags for my kids after they were three. I got each my kids a crossbody bag of their own and have them care their own stuff which they perfered. Plus if your 7 weeks old is a girl, don't sell any classic purse. At least that's how I justify buy new purse now. :nuts:

i love the idea of getting her her own bag to carry when she's old enough! i also thought about the neverfull, but it's just not for me. if only chanel currently had a large bag that i wanted to take my mind off this camel jumbo...i really want a nice neutral khaki/beige/tan bag and the current beige isn't right for me

I am a soon to be mommy of 2 and I just bought the GST and LV Totally. I REALLY wanted the Mahina XS which to me IS the prefect mommy bag but it was just too much and there is NO WAY I am giving up my GST. My son is 2.5 and I rarely use a diaper bag with him. I just through a diaper and a snack in my bag and go. So a flap would not work for me at all. HTH

I think the jumbo is ok; the diapers won't be around for that long.
What concerns me is the light color patent .. patent is so 'touchy', absorbs spots that never come out. If your heart is set on patent, get black .. if your heart is set on beige, get a tougher surface. IMO
--
Soon she will be dating, and then she'll get a job!!! Have fun!

I have a jumbo flap and I recently used it at a wedding banquet. I put my DS stuff in it, like: 2 diapers, some baby wipes, a sandwich bag of toy cars, a small bag of crackers, my iphone, my keys, my wallet, and my digital camera. My jumbo held up well. I had a GST and I sold it because I did not like the strap and it got heavy.

I am a mom of 2 boys aged 4 and 1.5. I carry 226 on most days as they fit my essentials. For the boys' stuff, they have a separate bag. I think the flap allows me to be hands free...lol

What concerns me is the light color patent .. patent is so 'touchy', absorbs spots that never come out. If your heart is set on patent, get black .. if your heart is set on beige, get a tougher surface.

actually, the camel isn't that light of a color at all, so i don't think it would be quite as at risk as some of the lighter patents. i would love to get a darker caviar beige, but it just doesn't exist. and then i'm back to the same prob of the bag not being big enough!

thanks so much for everyone's thoughts, i've literally been changing my mind throughout the day, and searching to see if there is a bigger bag out there that i love even more. if it weren't for the mommy factor, i would keep this bag in a heartbeat, but it's just too expensive to be another bag sitting in my closet. then again, i think about how much i would use this bag while i still have the diaper bag on her stroller...and i'm back to square one :P

Well...I feel the same as you. I am a mommy of a two and a half year old and a six month old....thinking of getting the camera case actually because it is easier to get in and out of...

Practicality is important but you deserve to indulge yourself with a purse you love.

Though I am only 22 and don't plan to have kids for another few years, I have been buying mostly bags that I know I probably won't be able to use with a baby but TBO, the thought of looking forward and being able to use it when you can makes it even that much more exciting! =D