Mombasa Education

ijmoran

Feb 13, 2008
Greetings Ladies,

I've only been into designer purses for a few years and I missed the Mombasa craze. I do remember noticing it a couple of years ago and thought it was a pretty purse. So, I'm wondering if some of you, who are YSL experts can educate me. When did this style first come out? Is it still being made? If not when was the last season? Were deer killed or are horns from shedding? And lastly, if I want to get one is my best shot ebay? I'm always so scared of ebay. If so, is this a model that was knocked off a lot?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Looking forward to your responses!

imijmoran

Last edited by a moderator:
I edited out the name of the website you mentioned because when I did a search it has been widely mentioned on tPF as selling fakes. Regardless, authenticity questions should be raised in the "Authenticate This!" thread.

We can keep this thread open to discuss the history of the Mombasa, though. :yes: There are quite a few Mombasa pics to view in the Reference Library. The bag is still being made and sold on ysl.com. Here is one: http://www.ysl.com/us/en/onlineBoutique/Women/Handbags/Shoulder-Bag/P-Small-Mombasa-Buffalo.aspx

As cosmo said, the mombasa is still being made.
It is from the Tom Ford for YSL era (sigh!).
Yes, there are fakes out there.
There are many many variations in size and material.
The horn is naturally shed.

You can get one at YSL boutiques, on ysl.com, and possibly at one of the YSL outlets.

It's a gorgeous bag! So classic YSL (and Tom Ford)!

I was just sighing over the Mombasa on e-bay. :tender: I'm new to YSL and its fast becoming my favorite brand. There are so many beautiful bags that I don't know which one will be my first. Initially I liked the reverse tote until I saw the Mombasa. Glad to hear that its still being made.