Moisturizing Vintage Leather..

louislover260

Jan 16, 2008
Well, I just got my vintage Gucci clutch (will post pics later!!)

It's the GG Canvas, and has the leather piping and interior. I'm just curious how to care for it...

Will the Canvas crack anytime soon? What would make it crack?

The leather looks dry, especially on the corners, how do I moisturize it? What should I use?

And any other tips and tricks would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!! This is my first vintage Gucci bag... well it's my first Gucci bag period lol! So I just wanted to take care of it, and make sure I can carry it for the next 40 years or so!
:yahoo::yahoo:

I restored one of Gucci leather jackets (not exactly vintage but well loved KWIM) with leather fat. It's colourless and you can buy in good quality shoe shops (usually posh men's shoe shops) It took out all the tiny scratches, made the leather gleam again and restored the lamb-soft peachy feel.

I also used it on my years old Chloe paddy and it was like a moisturiser for it.

Use it sparingly and buff. leave it overnight to sink in, if the leather is still dry repeat again after a few days.

Congrats on your bag by the way! sounds very nice.

The canvas (if its coated) shouldn't crack unless it's very worn or kept in extreme conditions.

Congrats on your bag by the way! sounds very nice.

The canvas (if its coated) shouldn't crack unless it's very worn or kept in extreme conditions.

Thanks papertiger! I'm in love with it! I got two compliments when I was out shopping today!

Well, it's a flat envelope clutch, but it's stretched out at the bottom from carrying thicker stuff... but it seems sturdy... would this part crack over time?

Yippee! At laast I found you leather cream (leather fat) available to buy in the US

http://www.montanasaddlery.com/store/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=SKLC

Untill you have 'fed' the leather on your bag you shouldn't use applegaurd IMO because it 'protects' by coating and seeling the leather. That will leave the parched leather liable to crack and will stop it from absorbing the moisture of a leather feeder product like a cream or fat.

In another way think of your face. You cleanse it and moisturise it and the skin protects itself. Putting on a chemical guard is like spraying your face with hairspray.

Many tPFs use sprays to protect their bags, but its only required really on suede, nubuck and fabric. Leather should be treated at the tanning stage to repel water etc

Once your bag has been 'fed' by a little cream/fat a few times you may find you don't even need a protect spray. See how it goes.

Congrats on your vintage Gucci. As for Gucci canvas cracking none of my vintage handbags ever cracked. I store my vintage Gucci handbags in dustbags to prevent any type of damage. I clean the leather with Coach leather cleaner and apply a tiny bit of Coach leather mositurizer to restore the beauty.:biggrin:

OH NO!!!! DONT EVER USE COACH LEATHER CLEANER AND MOISTURIZER!!! It has silicones in it that coat the leather, and it doesn't let it breath, and moisturizers won't be able to penetrate it. It's like suicide for leather!!!

I should have explained the only reason I called it 'fat' was because I directly translated from the German which of course sounds awful in English.

'Leather cream' is a much better and pleasing translation.

Er.. don't use lard because your leather will be eaten away by mould!!!:nuts: