Moisturizer makes my "perfect" skin worse?

dianad_723

Jan 12, 2008
I am almost 21, I have normal-dry skin, very small pores, and I have never had any form of acne. I am very lucky in this aspect, but for some reason when I use moisturizers and tinted moisturizers, my face "breaks out". I do not break out with acne, but my face gets tiny flesh-colored bumps all over, mostly on my forehead. They are very hard to see, but can be felt easily. I always discontinue use of the product after I notice the bumps, but I have never figured out what actually causes this. Is it an allergic reaction to an ingredient in the moisturizer?

I have only found 1 lotion that does not have this effect: Neutrogena Oil Free Moisture for Sensitive Skin (Without spf... the one with spf gave me bumps). I stopped using because of parabens - I don't like using lotions with chemicals.

I have tried high end, low end, organic, everything I could think of. The following gave me bumps:
Caudalie Antiwrinkle Nourishing Cream ($49), Burt's Bees Radiance Day & Night Cream, Olay spf 15 lotion, pangea organics moisturizer, Stila tinted moisturizer, Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer, Juice Beauty Moisturizer..... I know there are more but I can't think of them all.

I have tried finding an ingredient that these products share that may have caused me to get bumps, but I have not been able to identify it.

Does anyone else have this problem, or have any recommendations for moisturizers that do not have parabens, etc that might not irritate my skin?

i think maybe you're getting milia, not acne? but if you have dry skin i would think that moisturizer would be beneficial. i think light serums or moisturizers would be good since rich creams usually give people milia.

I'm the same way! I use Clinique Moisture Surge. The container calls it a gel-cream...it's pretty light, but it works well. Any cream moisturizer makes my skin look awful, but this seems okay since it's more of a gel.

Reactions: CallaBerry
Those tiny bumps are clogged pores. Make sure the products you are using are non-comodogenic or non-acnegenic-- meaning non-pore clogging.

Also, do you exfoliate? One of THE MOST IMPORTANT things for dry skin is exfoliation. You need to get off that dead skin so that it doesn't clog your pores.

Yeah, I do exfoliate. I have never tried a gel, so maybe I should do that. It's strange because sometimes it takes a few days for the bumps to show, sometimes it takes a few weeks to a month. So, I suppose it makes sense that they are clogged pores and different products clog them at different rates. But I'll try a non-comodogenic moisturizer and see if it helps. Thanks everyone!

Hope you find something :smile: Gel based moisturizers work best for me. I tried La Mer cream and it was too rich/heavy for me and I broke out. I tried the gel version and liked it better but not enough to purchase.

Try a pure oil that does not clog pores.

At health food stores, there is Grapeseed Oil. There is also sweet almond oil, rosehip seed oil, or jojoba oil might work for you. That way, you are only putting on one ingredient, and these will still moisturize. Look up each of these oils and see what might be best, or you may just have to use trial and error until you find something that works.

i had the same problem and it turns out i'm allergic to the ingredients that are used in most moisterizers that have sunscreen. i have not found a solution yet but for some reason using my la mer make up (which has spf in it) does not affect my skin.

Has anyone tried the la mer sunscreen??

i had the same problem and it turns out i'm allergic to the ingredients that are used in most moisterizers that have sunscreen. i have not found a solution yet but for some reason using my la mer make up (which has spf in it) does not affect my skin.

Has anyone tried the la mer sunscreen??

i use the protecting fluid spf 30. is this what you are talking about? its great for daily use, its not greasy at all and it keeps my make up in place.

im a huge fan of la mer anything. i use everything from the original cream to eye creams to facials and even the hand treatments!

I get these same kind of bumps from lotions with sunscreen. I get these on my arms, chest, throat and face. It's very hard to find something with sunscreen in it that does not cause me this reaction.