Moissanite or Diamond studs

suchi

Apr 30, 2015
Hi all, last week I posted a thread asking advice regarding saving up for a pair of 1.5cttw diamond studs.
I have a moissanite ring set (not my engagement ring, I bought this set after passing 2 important exams as a gift to me from me) and I wear these rings everyday with zero maintenance since 2 years, 24*7. These are not the higher quality F1moissanites either. They are the FB type. Today I was changing my earrings (diamond, Gia, excellent cut, D colour) I chanced to compare them side with my rings and other than the much whiter color of my studs (but since they are d color range they are supposed to be white) I didn't find anything extra in the sparkle factor between the moissanite and the studs.
So now I am a bit confused, why save up / spend so much for my dream diamond studs when I think the moissanite will look as pretty and hold up as well and will cost me a fraction of the actual diamonds. Further my studs will not be bought considering investment since diamonds lose 50% value once taken out of the show room. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_20170107_111008_01.jpg
    IMG_20170107_111008_01.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 1,187
Wow, such beautiful pieces. To be honest, I would go with moissanite studs as that stone has its own unique fire and, like you said, are a fraction of the price; a whopping price at that.

At the end of the day, neither are really an "investment", again as you mentioned, so how I look at it is, it boils down to this question: Do you want really want the diamonds specifically or just a nice pair of stud earrings no matter if it's one or the other, as long as it sparkles the way you desire it to?

Looking forward to everyone else's responses.

Thanks for your responses. Nvie will it be considered costume even if set in 18k gold? I don't know I was so set in saving up for the diamond studs but the side by side comparison shook me up a bit. I love both moissy and diamonds, just not finding the financial rationale for saving up.

Wow, such beautiful pieces. To be honest, I would go with moissanite studs as that stone has its own unique fire and, like you said, are a fraction of the price; a whopping price at that.

At the end of the day, neither are really an "investment", again as you mentioned, so how I look at it is, it boils down to this question: Do you want really want the diamonds specifically or just a nice pair of stud earrings no matter if it's one or the other, as long as it sparkles the way you desire it to?

Looking forward to everyone else's responses.
Thanks dear. I heart my rings too, it reminds me of the year of slogging late nights to prepare for the exam after working full time.

Reactions: Bambieee
Personally I would not buy a moissanite over real diamonds. Last year a friend and I visit a store specializing in moissanite jewellery. While the pieces and designs were gorgeous, we all agree that moissanite cannot replace real diamonds. Even the sales lady agree.

Technology has come a long way. There are so many precious stones that can be manufactured or enhanced in a lab and they look great. I have a strand of shell pearls that I bought when I was twenty. It looks very real but it didn't bring me as much joy as when I wear the real cultured pearls I received years later.

If your heart is set on real diamonds, then you should get that. Even if it takes a longer time to save up. People may not know the difference, but you do.

^Agreed. If money was not a factor at all (or you had a ton of it) and you could really pick (with no impact to you financially at all) whether you wanted the diamond or the moissanite, which one would you pick? I feel in my heart that you really want the diamond. Also, just want to point out as someone here stated, that I always rationalize diamond purchases in my head because I can pass them on to a future daughter or a granddaughter. For some reason also, my diamond jewelry is much more memorable to me than my costume jewelry is, maybe because it takes a long time for me to save up for those pieces? I don't know why, to be honest.

If you are in the position due to school, or a specific working situation or whatever it may be (I will be in this position a year from now.) where it takes an awfully long time to save up for big purchases, then I know it is not easy but I would make sure not to get side tracked by less pricey and more easily attainable items when you've really been trying to save for something else for quite a long time. Although it is hard to wait a long time, it will only make you even happier when you achieve that end goal. Also, there is also a slight level of disappointment that comes with getting side tracked and opening a less expensive item up that you bought with the money you have saved up for something else. I have even taken more than a year and a half to save up for a handbag that was thousands of dollars, yes more than a year and a half, but it was worth it in the end because I wanted it so bad.

However, I don't know you personally and maybe you really do love the moissanite too. Ask yourself the question, if money was not a factor, which one would you want to get? If it's moissanite, than go with the moissanite...if it's the diamond ones, than go with the diamond ones.

Reactions: suchi
I am too worried about losing studs - I would go for the moissanite. Plus they are very sparkly. I know there is not a lot of love here for moissanite but I like it. We can't afford a 40,000 3 Ct upgrade so I got myself a pretty moiss and I am happy with it...

I would go with the moissanite. Or even lab grown diamonds as an alternate. Pricier but not as pricy as mined diamonds, and still real diamonds! I've been struggling with the ethical issues surrounding diamonds lately and have committed to no longer buying mined diamonds.

I totally agree. I don't judge other people's choices but I too battle with the ethical issues as well even though diamonds are a beautiful stone. There's so many nice stones to choose from these days that are just as pretty and stand on their own. It all comes down to what we each define as valuable. But that's been discussed on TPF before so yeah, lol.

On the fence I love diamonds. I own 3 pairs of diamonds studs, and I love each of them.
However, after watching several documentaries regarding how diamonds are manufactured and the torment of the workers have me thinking about if I should make another purchase would I go actual lab created. It's a personal choice dear. Buy what you can afford and regardless which stone you select as long as you love it, options of others doesn't matter.

Reactions: suchi and Bambieee
Moissanite is great in theory but I still can't get over the cut. Due to its structure it is impossible to cut it the same way as a diamond so that is what stands out to me the most when I see them. If it's something that doesn't stand out to you, go for it. It is quite a bit of moolah to save.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I am confused since I love both my diamond studs and my moissy rings, and I definitely do not consider my moissy rings set in wg as costume jewelry. To me, costume will be cz set in silver.
I will not purchase now, will continue saving for another year or a year and a half and then decide. What is bothering me from yesterday is the opportunity cost, as compared to a 500usd pair for a moissy pair, the similar pair in diamond costs 4k. Thats a lot of money to me.

Reactions: kitkat_08
I don't consider anything set in 14K etc. gold as "costume". To me, costume jewelry is set in sterling silver or some cheap metal you would find at many retail stores.

Honestly for earrings, all my studs are not real diamonds. FWIW, many people ask me whether they are "real" (they're not, but I clean them regularly with a toothbrush), and most people won't be able to tell the difference since it's kind of far from the naked eye and probably hidden behind your hair. However, all my earrings have to be 14K gold since I have sensitive piercings. Nevertheless, you can find great deals on non-diamond studs set in gold that are better for your budget and you can get a 1.5ct for a good price.