Mods - If I can't discuss politics in here, where can I discuss it?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Is there a forum where people go to discuss politics?

Can someone recommend one?

2. I don't know, but I also believe that if there is a separate sub-forum for politics, why not? I understand that if things get out of hand, they should be reported.

But I don't run this forum, therefore it is not my decision.

I don't know of any, chique, otherwise I would recommend one. But I'm sure there are plenty out there. If you find one, please let us know. Thanks!

3. Where do you go to get news online or inform your political opinions? Most of the papers or blogs will have comments areas, which get into some pretty lively debates. Otherwise you can probably find a lot of links to other political sites. For example, if you go to huffingtonpost.com, the site has a ton of links to news and politics sites. I'd try one of those. Or just search for "politics discussion" or something like that and see what you like best.

4. Google. Many political forums to choose from.

5. ^^ Yup. I would just google Politics forum.

6. I'm glad we don't have a politics forum here, it would be too much work for mods and create bad tension that could extend to the other forums. I cannot imagine what kind of a bordel an open politics forum would be without very busy moods!

7. /\/\ I agree. I'm a member of another forum that is totally unrelated to politics (much like tPF) and we do have a political sub-forum. Trust me, the "attitudes/beefs" do not stay in that forum, but do spill over into other non-political forums of the website, basically ruining the message board for others.

I'm glad that some discussions are not allowed here.

I recommend Google as well. I'm sure there are TONS of them out there. :smile:

8. I'm also glad they have kept politics off tpf. I can't imagine how ugly it would get. Things get heated here plenty of times just discussing bags.

9. Im sure yahoo does. I agree, I wouldn't want one here. There's another forum that has absolutely nothing to do with politics, has has a general subforum like this that doesn't have this policy and the nastiness and drama is unbelievable. The only saving grace is the threads don't bump up, so they disappear pretty quickly. Yet, they still take pot shots at other members in a catty way and some that actually liked each other hate each other now..and the topic could be talking about shoes then shift to that crap again. Because of the recent election, I avoided that area all together since you couldn't even squeeze any other topics in there that got attention. It's best leaving discussions on this to free for all forums.

10. I was always taught that discussing politics and religion was one of the no-nos of polite society. I guess that holds here. Amazingly, there is still a ton of drama, even with these rules in place!

11. #11 Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
    I don't think it's a big deal to not be allowed to discuss politics here.

I don't want to go to some of the other forums where I'm a regular and CAN talk about politics and religion and discuss, say...purses. LOL. KWIM?

I guess what I'm saying is that there is a time and place for everything.

You could always start your own forum, as well!

12. There are countless political websites with discussion forums, both Democratic and Republican leaning. There are also many boards that have political sub-forums. Discussions often get heated, and as has been mentioned here so many times, they never change anyone's mind or make someone suddenly say, "Wow! I've been wrong this whole time! Thanks for setting me straight!"

Discussion of things people hold dear - politics and religion especially - usually leads to hard feelings, anger and resentment. People do not forget who they disagreed with in a political sub-forum, which often haunts the rest of the board.

Vlad and Megs have decided that those topics have no place here. There is plenty of drama without those things. I actually find it refreshing that a board exists that is (mostly) free of the heated feelings those two topics can generate.

13. Google whatever party you're a member of followed by the word forum. The first couple of results will usually be what you're looking for. If you google political forum you'll also find a couple.

14. I totally agree. Another forum I'm on got so heated around election time, I didn't want to visit. I didn't even participate in the threads, but still saw the ugly sides of so many posters that had seemed so nice before. I would hate for that to happen here. I used to wish we could discuss politics here, but after seeing what it did on that forum, no thanks!

15. Word!

One of my favorite things about tPF is that we come from all over the world, every walk of life, every different flavor of demographic segment and population sector.

That means that political discussion is a good fit for sites devoted to that!

The short answer to your question is - squillions of places!

Finding the right one(s) for you is something you will just need to google around for, though, as it would not be possible to recommend a specific forum without discussing politics, or at the very least making a political statement.

Not to mention that I don't know (nor do I care nor want to know) whether you want to discuss politics in general, or specific to a particular country, world view, faith tradition, politically-driven group, organization or other entity, or of course, Mac users.

I have no idea what would happen if you googled "politics forum," but I suspect that your head might explode, so I would try to get as specific as possible with your googling, and don't be afraid to lurk for a while to be sure that a place is somewhere you will enjoy being - and a place that would be both safe and courteous for you to be.

You can't be too careful these days, look into things like who runs the place, where does the server reside, what is the prevailing ambience in terms of civility or um, not, is it a place where you might be able to learn things, or a place where things you have already learned might be upsetting to the people who are already there.

No matter what you or I might think of a particular forum - it is somebody's internet home, so you definitely want to check out their table manners before you walk in there with a big bunch of asparagus!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.