Modest dressing doesn't have to be boring

Add a nice bag and jewelry :tup:

6-full-277.jpg

love this! do you know by any chance where i could buy it?

isn't it a beauty! There were no details where I pulled it from.

Thank you for starting this thread, Fabulosity!

In my neighborhood, there are many Muslim families. The women dress in dark, often drab, loose dresses to their ankles. But the headscarves! There are some real beauties among those, worn in a number of different ways. Of the finest quality, with gorgeous patterns and colors.

I usually dress in something that's become almost a uniform. Slim black pants, loose black v-neck tunic coming to mid-thigh, sleeves about elbow-length, and then add a couple a accessories, such as my brand-new tomato-red bag and turquoise flats, a silver bangle or colorful scarf, nothing overdone This looks good and polished at age sixty.

Last edited:
Before I forget, the complete opposite of how I ever wanted to look even in my young adult years: CoCo of Ice-T and CoCo fame. I came across the thread in Celebrity Gossip and must say her style is the epitome of tacky.

Hi, I'm new here and I'm happy to have found this thread about modest dressing. I've been leaning towards this style of dress this year.

Does anyone know the term, Lagenlook? I have always worn a modest but slightly quirky style but got away from it for some years. Then I discovered that this German word describes a "layering look". It consists of asymmetrical layering pieces over baggy pants or a tube, balloon or gored skirts -- so every thing is flowing and is extremely flattering especially on fuller figures because it elongates the line.

Here are some pieces I found on the web which are my favorites:

Attachments

• Borisblackpoppertrouser023.jpg
    Borisblackpoppertrouser023.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 953
  • Borisdarkstripeflagdress33124ArtistryLimited.jpg
    Borisdarkstripeflagdress33124ArtistryLimited.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 1,093
  • Lissmoregreycrushdress25412ArtistryLimited001.jpg
    Lissmoregreycrushdress25412ArtistryLimited001.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,126
  • LissmorewhitepetticoatArtistryLimited001.jpg
    LissmorewhitepetticoatArtistryLimited001.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 940
More.... I believe most of these dresses are from IDareToBe.com

Attachments

• CompletoBS374Greyshirt8811031.jpg
    CompletoBS374Greyshirt8811031.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 909
  • KamuflagegreylinenbamboocardiganArtistryLimited006.jpg
    KamuflagegreylinenbamboocardiganArtistryLimited006.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 923
  • Spottywideblackshirt171111149.jpg
    Spottywideblackshirt171111149.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 917
More.... I believe most of these dresses are from IDareToBe.com

Rainrowan, you're an IFNJ as well? There aren't many of us, and it's good to see you here.

I like layering clothes. Most of all, clothes have to be comfortable while still good-looking. I've got to be able to move. And in layering, any number of figure flaws can be minimized.

Rainrowan, you're an IFNJ as well? There aren't many of us, and it's good to see you here.

I like layering clothes. Most of all, clothes have to be comfortable while still good-looking. I've got to be able to move. And in layering, any number of figure flaws can be minimized.

Hello, fellow INFJ :smile: There are not too many of us in the world. I only know one possibly two INFJs on tPF. I wonder if they like modest dressing too?

I received a black sheath travel dress for summer which I'm sure will be used as a layering piece later in the year. I am on a budget, the brand Coco & Juan (cotton and rayon asymmetric pieces) works for me, as well as JoStar (travel knits).

Agree on the comfort... haven't been happy with the basic jeans and tee shirt, something just doesn't sit right with my body shape (back too wide). The modest dressing, especially flowing, seems to catch people's attention in attractive manner.

For layering pieces that are a bit sheer, how does one offset that? Is wearing a slip or leggings the only alternative? Any slip recommendations? These seem so hard to find nowadays...

Last edited:
Hello, fellow INFJ :smile: There are not too many of us in the world. I only know one possibly two INFJs on tPF. I wonder if they like modest dressing too?

I received a black sheath travel dress for summer which I'm sure will be used as a layering piece later in the year. I am on a budget, the brand Coco & Juan (cotton and rayon asymmetric pieces) works for me, as well as JoStar (travel knits).

Agree on the comfort... haven't been happy with the basic jeans and tee shirt, something just doesn't sit right with my body shape (back too wide). The modest dressing, especially flowing, seems to catch people's attention in attractive manner.

For layering pieces that are a bit sheer, how does one offset that? Is wearing a slip or leggings the only alternative? Any slip recommendations? These seem so hard to find nowadays...

What's strange is that fellow INFJ's, rare as we are, tend to find one another to share thoughts, even across many miles.

Undergarments - a difficult question. I have a terrible time even finding a well-fitting bra that doesn't make me itch, dig into the side of the breasts or the back until I'm ready to jump out of my skin. I'm on the ever-lasting bra hunt.

What to wear underneath semi-sheer clothes. I bought a black top years ago which is very loose-fitting and comes to nearly mid-thigh. It doesn't have sleeves, it looks more like the fifties-style men's undershirts. It is very comfortable. I love to wear tunics with slim pants, because they disguise major figure flaws. Hate anything that restricts my ability to move.

I turned sixty a month ago. Still have very slim legs without any cellulite - but heaven help me, I developed a belly during the past years. I hate it, it makes me miserable but I suppose it goes with the territory as one ages. That's the reason for the soft, flowing tunics.

Many loving thoughts your way, fellow INFJ.

Anke

What to wear underneath semi-sheer clothes. I bought a black top years ago which is very loose-fitting and comes to nearly mid-thigh. It doesn't have sleeves, it looks more like the fifties-style men's undershirts.

What a brilliant idea, Anke! I am going to be on the lookout for cotton swim tank/undershirts, maybe in the tall men's store. I would be thrilled and purchase a few packages! And cotton is a must for me.

Warm vibes from one INFJ to another!

Here is another modest outfit I like. I am sorry I do not know the designer but I vaguely remember this was from a boutique in Dubai.

It's a little hard to tell from the green reflection from the walls, but the purple with its gray tone makes the outfit almost monochrome. Is there such a thing as tonal monochrome ;)

Attachments

• lagenlook.jpg
    lagenlook.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 957
Thank you for starting this thread, Fabulosity!

In my neighborhood, there are many Muslim families. The women dress in dark, often drab, loose dresses to their ankles. But the headscarves! There are some real beauties among those, worn in a number of different ways. Of the finest quality, with gorgeous patterns and colors.

I usually dress in something that's become almost a uniform. Slim black pants, loose black v-neck tunic coming to mid-thigh, sleeves about elbow-length, and then add a couple a accessories, such as my brand-new tomato-red bag and turquoise flats, a silver bangle or colorful scarf, nothing overdone This looks good and polished at age sixty.

I think this may be a requirement for them...don't want to get too deep into that since we're not allowed to discuss the big "R" word around here :giggles:

I wear head coverings and yes they come in some of the most beautiful colors and patterns. I love color!

Hi, I'm new here and I'm happy to have found this thread about modest dressing. I've been leaning towards this style of dress this year.

Does anyone know the term, Lagenlook? I have always worn a modest but slightly quirky style but got away from it for some years. Then I discovered that this German word describes a "layering look". It consists of asymmetrical layering pieces over baggy pants or a tube, balloon or gored skirts -- so every thing is flowing and is extremely flattering especially on fuller figures because it elongates the line.

Here are some pieces I found on the web which are my favorites:

I've never heard this term before but I do love layering. I like these looks too :yes: