Home & Garden Modern/Contemporary European Furniture for Cheap?

Hey all,

I've been tasked with a difficult request and have no idea where to start. I thought the thoughtful ladies and gents of PurseForum might be able to help out.

I'm trying to help someone look for modern European furniture. More specifically, looking for a 2-seater sofa and some dining room chairs. The person I'm helping is hoping buy something with Italian/Spanish origin, hopefully at a deep discount. I live in the States and Googling is not helping at all. Furniture would need to be shipped to Hong Kong.

Does anyone have any leads or any ideas?

Hey all,

I've been tasked with a difficult request and have no idea where to start. I thought the thoughtful ladies and gents of PurseForum might be able to help out.

I'm trying to help someone look for modern European furniture. More specifically, looking for a 2-seater sofa and some dining room chairs. The person I'm helping is hoping buy something with Italian/Spanish origin, hopefully at a deep discount. I live in the States and Googling is not helping at all. Furniture would need to be shipped to Hong Kong.

Does anyone have any leads or any ideas?

Found some companies on goggle but guessing you already found those. Deep discount is probably what is tripping you up. Things are turning around in the US so prices are rising. Good stuff doesn't come cheap. My decorator connections are busy & they say it isn't like it was in '09 or '10. Guessing the shipping would be expensive too.

Wouldn't what you are looking for be easier to find in China?

so far I've googled, as you mentioned:

http://www.alivar.com/collections-furniture.aspx?T=22
http://www.lcmobili.com/viewdoc.asp?co_id=39
http://www.santiccioli.com/main.php?language=_en
http://www.cassinausa.com/lounge.html

i've even searched with a Italy/Spain advanced filter so i remove some of the USA stuff.

the hard part is that these items all look really pricey.

do you have any ideas about where to look in China? do your decorator connections have any special sites they visit? i have to help this person out even though i'm finding the task a bit ridiculous (because it's probably much easier to visit a furniture store and stalk them for sales in person).

really, really appreciate any insight you may have.

so far I've googled, as you mentioned:

http://www.alivar.com/collections-furniture.aspx?T=22
http://www.lcmobili.com/viewdoc.asp?co_id=39
http://www.santiccioli.com/main.php?language=_en
http://www.cassinausa.com/lounge.html

i've even searched with a Italy/Spain advanced filter so i remove some of the USA stuff.

the hard part is that these items all look really pricey.

do you have any ideas about where to look in China? do your decorator connections have any special sites they visit? i have to help this person out even though i'm finding the task a bit ridiculous (because it's probably much easier to visit a furniture store and stalk them for sales in person).

really, really appreciate any insight you may have.

You are right, good quality furniture is pricy. My friends don't buy Chinese made furniture. They might buy some small decor items made by companies like Maitland Smith or Decorators Craft. Check & see what these companies have. Know they used to have beds, tables, & accent chairs. Haven't looked in years. They won't be cheap either.

I think your customer is very unrealistic. And wondering if you aren't getting jacked around. They have went to many others & couldn't get what they wanted so they keep going down the list & wasting peoples valuable time. Is this for a retail store where you could continue to get more business or is it a one shot sale for someones home?

Be careful running info on Asian companies. I was looking for promo items online (like jackets, tshirts etc) & came across some Asian traders who ran my IP address & found our phone numbers & hassled me for days.

I was told the design center in LV has some Chinese vendors.

The best way to hit a bunch of vendors is to come to Vegas for trade shows & they have dozens of Asian Vendors all in one hall one area so they are easy to find. (We do trade shows here & just seeing how organized they are in one place is a sight to see, especially when you know how far they have come & all the items they bring with them. They also usually sell what they brought as its cheaper than shipping it all home. But that stuff goes fast. (Sometimes I buy Christmas decorations or bamboo arrangements this way. So cheap I don't care that the bamboo might die after a year.)

If you go to the LV Convention Center site, it'll tell you what trade shows the Asian companies come here for. If you can't find what you are looking for, I'll be happy to help. Am feeling like I'm getting too long winded. Nothing ticks off people more on here. lol

The biggest one was the ASC show, twice a year. Next one will be in Feb/March time frame.

Last edited:
You are right, good quality furniture is pricy. My friends don't buy Chinese made furniture. They might buy some small decor items made by companies like Maitland Smith or Decorators Craft. Check & see what these companies have. Know they used to have beds, tables, & accent chairs. Haven't looked in years. They won't be cheap either.

I think your customer is very unrealistic. And wondering if you aren't getting jacked around. They have went to many others & couldn't get what they wanted so they keep going down the list & wasting peoples valuable time. Is this for a retail store where you could continue to get more business or is it a one shot sale for someones home?

Be careful running info on Asian companies. I was looking for promo items online (like jackets, tshirts etc) & came across some Asian traders who ran my IP address & found our phone numbers & hassled me for days.

I was told the design center in LV has some Chinese vendors.

The best way to hit a bunch of vendors is to come to Vegas for trade shows & they have dozens of Asian Vendors all in one hall one area so they are easy to find. (We do trade shows here & just seeing how organized they are in one place is a sight to see, especially when you know how far they have come & all the items they bring with them. They also usually sell what they brought as its cheaper than shipping it all home. But that stuff goes fast. (Sometimes I buy Christmas decorations or bamboo arrangements this way. So cheap I don't care that the bamboo might die after a year.)

If you go to the LV Convention Center site, it'll tell you what trade shows the Asian companies come here for. If you can't find what you are looking for, I'll be happy to help. Am feeling like I'm getting too long winded. Nothing ticks off people more on here. lol

The biggest one was the ASC show, twice a year. Next one will be in Feb/March time frame.

Thanks for your response!

So I'm actually helping a relative out, so that's what I meant by "obligation." I spoke to him again and he is really wary about Chinese furniture too (who isn't?)

I was wondering if you were familiar with whether Italian/Spanish furniture stores have "sale seasons"? Is there a period of time where last season's furniture goes on sale? He's not looking for the newest collection, so stuff from 2011 or 2010 would be okay as well. I think he is open to making a trip over to Europe to make the purchase/deal, but we would need to know when is a good time. Do you know if there is some kind of sale season/period in Italy/Spain for furniture?

Like how in the US Black Friday/pre-Christmas shopping usually has the biggest deals?

Thanks for your response!

So I'm actually helping a relative out, so that's what I meant by "obligation." I spoke to him again and he is really wary about Chinese furniture too (who isn't?)

I was wondering if you were familiar with whether Italian/Spanish furniture stores have "sale seasons"? Is there a period of time where last season's furniture goes on sale? He's not looking for the newest collection, so stuff from 2011 or 2010 would be okay as well. I think he is open to making a trip over to Europe to make the purchase/deal, but we would need to know when is a good time. Do you know if there is some kind of sale season/period in Italy/Spain for furniture?

Like how in the US Black Friday/pre-Christmas shopping usually has the biggest deals?

Sorry can't help you there.Will say they told me overall the decorating business (in the US) picks up in the fall & goes till almost Christmas. (Everyone wants their house done for the holidays.) Then things die down till after tax season.
There are some ladies on here from Europe, maybe they can tell you when sales are?

Why not make a trip to Hong Kong?
I would have a hard time believing with how strong their economy is that you couldn't find what you are looking for there. European & American products are strongly desired in that area of the world now. Many might feel the same way your client does.

Plus you don't have the shipping cost which can be outrageous. That could undo any savings he might have with a heavy discount.

Good luck, hope he finds exactly what he wants! Know what it is to look for years for the perfect pieces.

Calligaris makes reasonably priced Italian furniture. They have a vendor in Hong Kong.
http://www.calligaris.com/

Thanks for the intel! Are you familiar with when Italian/Spanish furniture stores go on sale? For example, when they get rid of last season or the previous season's furniture at a discount?

Why not make a trip to Hong Kong?
I would have a hard time believing with how strong their economy is that you couldn't find what you are looking for there. European & American products are strongly desired in that area of the world now. Many might feel the same way your client does.

Plus you don't have the shipping cost which can be outrageous. That could undo any savings he might have with a heavy discount.

Good luck, hope he finds exactly what he wants! Know what it is to look for years for the perfect pieces.

So I think he was able to score some furniture in Europe in the past and was hoping to find out when is a good "sale" time for furniture from Italy/Spain.

There are some stores in Hong Kong that carry good Italian/Spanish brands but I am told that there is a HUGE mark-up. As you mentioned, there is pretty high demand for good products in Hong Kong (especially from mainland China), which is also driving up prices.

Thanks for the intel! Are you familiar with when Italian/Spanish furniture stores go on sale? For example, when they get rid of last season or the previous season's furniture at a discount?

So I think he was able to score some furniture in Europe in the past and was hoping to find out when is a good "sale" time for furniture from Italy/Spain.

There are some stores in Hong Kong that carry good Italian/Spanish brands but I am told that there is a HUGE mark-up. As you mentioned, there is pretty high demand for good products in Hong Kong (especially from mainland China), which is also driving up prices.

They will gladly pay high prices too. People here send over a lot of good jewelry & art work cause they know they will get more for it.
My DH recently bought a watch from a high end boutique & they had to get it from Hong Kong. lol There were none in the US.

Whether you are looking for home improvement companies or for modern furniture, the best and the easiest way is to search for it online on internet. Just make sure that you are hiring a professional and well reputed company for your needs.

If on a budget, I like Camerich sofas and chairs etc
they have the look of BB italia, and thought MADE IN CHINA, are well made, extremely comfy, and has that relaxed but still good looking style