model's height vs consumer's height

whats ur height?

• <145cm

• between 145 - 155cm

• between 156-165cm

• between 165-175cm

• more than 175 cm

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm 5'9" so I am quite tall. I don't really have a problem finding clothes that fit me, as I find most designer jeans and pants are made long and often I have to take my jeans up!

Im 5'7 171cm and im not huge but i have a bit of a belly and really large boobs and i can NEVER find clothes to fit me anymore :sad: it winter at the moment, and i cannot get a nice coat thats long enough in the arms and big enough in the boobs but fits everwhere else, i used to be that thin but its just so hard to loose weight when your in a sit down job, they need to use more curvy models! and get clothes made to fid true sizes than someone who is usualy 14 have to buy an 18! :sad:

Im in the UK lol :biggrin:

I'm about your size, I think. I wish they used more curvy models too.

I'm 5' 10.5" and I'd like to add that the .5" makes more of a difference than you'd think. :sweatdrop: I grew up spindly and awkward and none of my pants ever fit. I wore high-water pants until I was well into high school and long sleeve shirts and jackets were always much too short also. Only recently I became comfortable wearing heels for every day as I had to overcome the idea of making myself taller and feeling silly. Being tall and thin only started paying off and being appreciated by others (BOYS) at the end of my senior year in HS. I paid a heavy price throughout my adolescent life so I really enjoy who I am now. :biggrin:

As for modeling...it's true, designer clothing looks great on 5'10"+ models for a reason, because they're walking, faceless hangers. That's why most models at runway shows look alike in the face...they're not supposed to have distinctive features because the clothes are the star. Large breasts, swaying hips and an hourglass figure will draw attention to the model and not the clothes which is counterproductive for the designer and ultimately undesired. Clothing drapes very nicely on a long, lean body type and the clothes can be manipulated with belts, jackets, vests and any added pieces without making the model look bulkier.

The clothing isn't the only reason why women love designer collections from Celine, Balenciaga, Louis Vuitton, Stella McCartney, Dries van Noten, etc....the models complete the look and make you want the entire package for a reason. That's their job. :yes:

I'm 5'10"...when I was a kid (in the Dark Ages, LOL!) it was impossible to find pants long enough. I have a 35" inseam. Today the lengths are longer, especially in jeans, so it's much easier to find. Maybe I'm shrinking but the kids, nowadays, seem to be getting taller.

From what I've heard, the designers choose tall models (not too tall though; I think 6' + models are harder to cast, and I hear that their agents will usually lie on their cards and say they're something like 5'10" 1/2 or 5'11") because the clothes hang off them like hangers. We, as consumers, are supposedly supposed to find the look attractive.

As for my height, I'm 5'6", and when I was looking at the average heights around the world, all my countries are European (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Holland, and Norway). I'm tall according to US standards.

This can be true. I think there is a misconception that the taller you are the better---but you can be too tall as a model. I'm 6ft but when I am at castings and on my comp card we say I'm 5' 11" or 5' 11 1/2" at the most. Sometimes if it's a designer that the agency knows loves the really tall girls we will mention i'm 6ft, but in my experience, you can be too tall.

And as for my height, (no idea the cm) it's a nightmare for finding clothing. My bf is only 5ft tall and we are constantly talking about how hard it is. For her the sleeves and jeans are always way too long. For me they are never long enough. Whenever I find a shirt with long enough sleeves or jeans that I can wear my heels with I buy several. My absolute fav jeans I will buy a backup pair. SO thinks its ridiculous but it's tough to find good fitting, flattering jeans that are long enough.

In the end, for all the complaining I do, I still wouldn't trade my height for anything in the world. I do enjoy that I can put on a few pounds and it wont show as much. But one of my biggest pet peeves is when I wear heels and people look at me like I'm crazy. What, am I not allowed to wear heels because I'm tall?? Are us tall girls supposed to get to 6ft and just stop?

Ok, rant over.:biggrin:

I'm 5'5". I like it that way I guess, I can wear heels without looking like a giant. (my best friend is a lot taller than me and told me that she feels very uncomfortable wearing higheels) However, I must admit that I wished I was taller sometimes, because you see all those tall women looking so fabulous.