Tech Mobile Broadband or Cable internet?

amymarie

Oct 6, 2008
Seattle, WA
What exactly is mobile broadband?

I'm moving to a new apt next week and will need to get internet access. I am a student and I am on the internet a lot but I don't upload/download a lot. For cable internet, I think it is around 40ish plus I would have to get a wireless router. For mobile broadband, I see on sprint theres a free usb modem and $49 a month, but isnt there a 2 yr contract?

Which one should I get??

RaeBelle

The Commish
O.G.
Jan 15, 2008
hockey-gasm
I think that most company's mobile broadband is limited to 5GB downloaded a month and the overage charges can be quite high. You'd want to see if your usage fits into those parameters and if Sprint has that limit before signing a contract.

Charles

Sucks at budgeting
O.G.
Jan 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Fl
Cable will be much faster. Also, if you're not going to be leaving your wireless halo, there's not much point to mobile broadband.

hartofalyon

foreign contaminant
Jan 14, 2007
NYC
^ exactly.

with mobile broadband, however, you can have internet anywhere on your laptop w/o needing to find wifi hotspots. if that's you're thing, it may be worth it.

mobile broadband is like how you have internet for your phone, but on your computer instead, via usb/pc card modem.

coachfreak

Looking for LVOE
Honestly they can be about the same cost. I have both, but my job kinda requires it.

1) if you travel a lot and only surf websites (no internet TV, serious downloads of music, etc...) then the Verizon MiFi might be perfect. You are limited to 5GB though.
2) if you do any downloading of video or watch a significant amount of tv shows online or play anytime of games (XBox, PS3, or computer games) online then you need cable.

A cheaper in-between alternative is DSL.

Also, all of this is dependent on the service you can get. If you have Comcast cable they only charge you $42 for internet vs $54 without.

If you already Qwest phone they also give you a discount on internet.